Thread: Address Change

Address Change

Last month I sent off an address change application form to the DOJ. Aren't they supposed to send me a new license with the new address? All I can find is that they change it internally only and don't send a replacement. I moved from my lower apartment to a 2 bedroom in the same building.

Quote Originally Posted by bspiller View Post
    Last month I sent off an address change application form to the DOJ. Aren't they supposed to send me a new license with the new address? All I can find is that they change it internally only and don't send a replacement. I moved from my lower apartment to a 2 bedroom in the same building.
    Per DOJ Administrative Rules you'll get a replacement with the new address only if you request it...

JUS 17.08 (1) CHANGE OF ADDRESS. Upon receiving notice of a change of address from a licensee pursuant to s. 175.60(11)(b)1., Stats., the department shall update its license records with the new information. At the request of a licensee whose address has changed, the department shall issue the licensee a new license document containing the new address.

...and you'll have to pay for the replacement...

JUS 17.08 (3) FEES.
    (a) For any license document issued under this section, the department shall charge the replacement fee provided in s. Jus 17.12(3).

...and that will currently cost you 12 bucks...

JUS 17.12 (3) REPLACEMENT FEE. The fee charged by the department for replacing a lost or destroyed license pursuant to s. 175.60(13), Stats., shall be $12.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 02-28-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Ok sounds good. So I don't really need my license to have my current address on it unless I request a replacement it only updates internally.

Herr Heckler Koch
    You will get the third-degree when you present your papers, your CCL and DL on the request of an officer, and the addresses mismatch. Guaranteed. You may beat the rap but you will not beat his 'ride'.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 02-28-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Moderator / Administrator

What about out of state address changes

We need to test this - can somebody who has moved out of state or has changed their main home location to a location outside of Wisconsin please report the address change?

We need to make sure DOJ does not think that this invalidates the license.

No state that I know of invalidates concealed licenses if you move out of state even if you have to be a resident to apply to begin with.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No state that I know of invalidates concealed licenses if you move out of state even if you have to be a resident to apply to begin with.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

TITLE 23. LAW ENFORCEMENT AND PUBLIC SAFETY

CHAPTER 31. FIREARMS

ARTICLE 4. CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
    [SC ST SEC 23-31-215]

(J) A permit is valid statewide unless revoked because the person has: [ ... ] (2) moved his permanent residence to another state and no longer owns real property in this State; [ ... ] Once a permit is revoked, it must be surrendered to a sheriff, police department, a SLED agent, or by certified mail to the Chief of SLED. A person who fails to surrender his permit in accordance with this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 02-28-2012 at 01:37 PM.

State Researcher
    Kansas, K.S.A. 75-7c07(c), and South Carolina, S.C. Code 23-31-245(J)(2), revoke licenses when the licensee moves out of state.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

We need to test this - can somebody who has moved out of state or has changed their main home location to a location outside of Wisconsin please report the address change?

We need to make sure DOJ does not think that this invalidates the license.

It appears to me that Wisconsin DOES revoke a license once a person is no longer a WI resident, see page 24 of this: http://www.doj.wi.gov/dles/cib/Conce...q-20111020.pdf

and in the statutes it says "The department shall revoke a license issued under this section if the department determines that sub. (3) (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the licensee." [175.60(14)(a)]

The relevant thing here is the "(f)"

(3) Restrictions on issuing a license. The department shall issue a license under this section to an individual who submits an application under sub. (7) unless any of the following applies:
    (a) The individual is less than 21 years of age.
    (b) The individual is prohibited under federal law from possessing a firearm that has been transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    (c) The individual is prohibited from possessing a firearm under s. 941.29.
    (d) The court has prohibited the individual from possessing a dangerous weapon under s. 969.02 (3) (c) or 969.03 (1) (c).
    (e) The individual is on release under s. 969.01 and the individual may not possess a dangerous weapon as a condition of the release.
    (f) The individual is not a Wisconsin resident.
    (g) The individual has not provided proof of training as described under sub. (4) (a).
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

We moved from MA to WI. MA had 30 day notice for address changes within MA and it stopped if you moved out of state.