• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anonymous

since9

Campaign Veteran
Their latest vid.

I agree with some of what they say. I do not agree with their "it's too late" and "overthrow the government" diatribes. I believe a stupid America has, quite selfishly (what's in it for ME, papa sam!) voted Santa Clauses into office who bleed our nation dry instead of tying off the bleeders and letting her regain her strength. I also believe that may have been a shortcoming of our Founding Fathers, blindsided as they were into believing nearly all Americans would forever possess both honor and integrity. Ben Franklin was no fool, knowing otherwise when he replied, "A Republic, if you can keep it." If he were still in a rocker today, he's be thinking, "Perhaps it was too much to ask the common man to make such important decisions as to who should represent them."

Despite their renegade tone, some of what their latest incarnation says makes good sense. They have been around for 16 years. The U.S. Government does fear them, and has classified them as terrorists, but why? Name one terrorist activity they've done? As a very keen student of the English language, I can say without any doubt whoever wrote their script is NOT of foreign birth. I can even place it in a general are of the U.S., based on dialect alone. I'm sure there's some linguist on staff within a three-letter agency who might be able to nail it to a particular country.

Regardless, why does our Government fear them? Just because they said, "overthrow the government?" Various groups of exceedingly few numbers have been saying this since the dawn of our country, and they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. I see no "Anonymous" troops amassing, so I'm not understanding any fear of physical power, either.

Perhaps they're cyber-terrorists. Well, perhaps by definition, maybe. By action, not quite, as there are several things which define terrorism that are lacking, here, chief of which is action.

No, this is NOT a call for such! It is, however, a call for reason on the part of our government, to stop looking so hard for needles in the haystacks that you start seeing ghosts in the machine, to first learn, then learn to respect, our Constitution and our Constitutional rights, and how that makes us a far more powerful country than trampling on our rights in some pin-headed attempt to track down every need. To realize WE LOVE OUR COUNTRY, and we'll protect it, many of us to the point of death, and that a lot of our government's gyrations actually make that much more difficult, rather than easier. To understand our Founders considered ALL U.S. Citizens to be freemen, and all able-bodied men, women, and children capable of using arms to be militia.

Liberals, Democrats, and revisionist historians want to re-educate Americans into believing their "creation" is better than the real thing. Like the New Coke, however, Americans say "HELL NO!"

The ONLY thing that will restore our country to her proper foundations is a proper education, learning not only the what behind the decisions of our Founding Fathers, but the whys thereof. These lawyers, businessmen, and landed gentry probably spent two to seven times as much time studying the history of world governments, what worked, what didn't, and why, than your average elected politician today.

And I dare say, the general electorate were vastly more rational and less selfless than your average "American" of today. I'll even go so far as to so your average U.S. Citizen has less than half a clue as to what being an American is really all about than do most U.S. citizens who've gone through our nation's official citizenship program.

OC for ME

Interesting premise. Break the law for the good of all. Interrupt/disrupt 'private property' if the ends justify the means. Nope, this Anonymous crowd is no different, in my view, than any loony-lib-sock-puppet group.

If some innocent folks get 'hurt' along the way, no big deal....right?

The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - TJ

Not very liberty centric if you ask me.....though, you did not specifically ask me. Our liberty was gained via the musket. I'm not so sure a musket is required to maintain our liberty.

Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword. - TJ to TP 1796

Interesting conundrum. I prefer the below. A 'war' of words and ideas.

Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - TJ

Daylen

um name one terrorist attack? How about the hacking they do, electronic terrorism.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The news report is calling them a part of Anonymous, but their location and what they were suspected of doing sounds very different than what was being said in the video link provided in the OP.

I think Interpol and others are probably just throwing a bad-ass label on the folks who were hauled in yesterday, like our own government throws around the words "terrorist" and "terrorism" to describe any activity they find undesirable.

Given what they say and the way they write, I suspect the folks behind the Anonymous videos are Americans.

Stanley

um name one terrorist attack? How about the hacking they do, electronic terrorism.

Not terrorism at all. Redefining a word to fit your definition doesn't change reality.

When they start going after the general public to inspire fear maybe. Targeting government agencies and their puppets, while called terrorism by said government, isn't terrorism.

Pretty soon everything will be an act of terrorism. Protesting? Terrorism. Stating your opinion? Terrorism. Disagreeing with Daylen? Terrorism.., :D

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dmvqjj

Jack House

I agree that they're not terrorists, they usually only go after targets that have actually transgressed them. They generally do not involve innocent third parties.

As such, I tend to be sympathetic to their cause. They support a lot of the same things I do. We just really have a different way of showing our support.

Obviously I won't be joining their crusade, but as long as their attacks are aimed only at the perpetrators, I won't condemn them either.

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk

slowfiveoh

I agree that they're not terrorists, they usually only go after targets that have actually transgressed them. They generally do not involve innocent third parties.

As such, I tend to be sympathetic to their cause. They support a lot of the same things I do. We just really have a different way of showing our support.

Obviously I won't be joining their crusade, but as long as their attacks are aimed only at the perpetrators, I won't condemn them either.

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk

Hrmm let's see how much alphabet soup I can swim in.

Anonymous is flat out, terrific.

The internet is the true last bastion of free speech and expression on the planet. Topologically, and in terms of infrastructure, there is no way the government could ever lay claim to the thousands of private companies and organizations that comprise the internet. This will not stop them from trying, but such is the utter stupidity of chumps on capital hill who are better qualified to operate a typewriter than comment on the basic functionality of a modem, let alone a massive web of thousands of interconnected IGRP/EIGRP/RIP routers out in the cloud.

Having even the tiniest competency and understanding of the internet and its structure will show how this is an unconquerable frontier. The protocols, diversity of systems, variety of carriers, and sheer number of paths makes it an implausible pursuit.

However, letting government in is never the answer, and Anonymous understands this too well. Even the Narus STA 6400's are an unconstitutional breach of your privacy.

You're ok with the CIA reading your intimate letters to your wife though, and them having access to your personal communications to your buddies, and most of all, your expressed opinions on government, are now being monitored.

Facebook and the STA 6400 have the spectrum covered as far as social observation of millions of "targets" goes.

Anonymous doesn't want your intimate letters. They do not want to be privy of your personal communications. They simply want the internet to remain the last bastion of unfettered global expression. If you don't get that or try to argue against it, you look like an idiot.

Just as you may protect your house with the most state of the art systems that money can buy, you will find that this leads to more competent criminals. The white hats that run such security agencies know that they're proverbial "own kind" are the "competition". Security software is such a farce in so many ways because, simply, the programmers know that not all avenues can be explored, and every door left closed. There are simply too many dynamics.

Some of the major companies you trust to hold information pertaining to your livelihood are using such decrepit and outdated technologies as to be potentially hacked by a 5th grader. Yet you trust them.

These same companies tout bills such as PIPA and SOPA as necessary, and throw their vast corporate collectiveness behind them under the guise of protecting your interest.

Newflash kids. They see $$$. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wake up.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Pretty soon everything will be an act of terrorism. Protesting? Terrorism. Stating your opinion? Terrorism. Disagreeing with Daylen? Terrorism...

That's the slippery rights slope we're facing today, isn't it? It'll be tough for the courts to stand up to the feds and say:

"No, Mr. Federal Prosecutor, the Freedom of Speech is the Freedom of Speech, not Terrorism."

Replace Freedom of Speech with:
- the free exercise of religion
- the freedom of the press
- the right of the people peaceably to assemble
- the right of the people to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

chakragod

This is a sensitive subject for myself. I had always been intrigued by the hacking culture since I was a young teenager. I started hearing about them back in early 2000 (tends to happen when you play MMOs and browse certain forums), although, it could have been a completely different outfit at the time. Don't take anything I say personally, because I have a very strong opinion when it comes to Anonymous.

(i.e. long rant inc.)

Now, being one that is not completely ignorant to the hacking world and being of Chaotic Good nature, I have a lot of problems with 'them'.

First off, the media is what made them. If the media had never been involved with reporting their deeds, few people would know or care about them (big surprise). They turned them into this idealistic super group of hackers that were terrorists. Partly true, but...read on.

My second, and probably biggest problem with them, is that most of the work they do...a monkey could perform given the proper training. The problem with MOST (not all) work that 'Anonymous' does, is that it's simple 'script kiddie' things like DDoS. This is the lowest form of...I guess you could call it 'cyber-terrorism' if you were so bold. I would dare not mention 'hackers' or 'hacking' and DDoS in the same sentence as this is about as low grade as it gets. I mean, you literally type in an IP address to a certain program and press a button....yet the media makes them out to be some cyber wizard hacker elites. True hackers spit on this...

Thirdly, it is true that there is no actual organised 'Anonymous'....to a certain extent. There are a small group that use the name to do actual hacking of websites and databases, but they're really just throwing it out there because they know the name alone will make their hacks famous if the media gets wind of it. The previously mentioned people in my second problem use the name, because, well...they think it's the cool thing to do when DDoSing a website. Again, this is kind of a slap in the face to actual well versed hacker groups.

Lastly...they talk a lot, with little action. Most of the propaganda videos that are released are merely for show, and saying things like '**certain website** at **certain date** be afraid, rawr rawr.' are fairly comical at best. At this point, I'd just be repeating things I've already said that are intertwined with the subject, so I'll spare the commentary.

tl;dr - They're not that great, and I wish the media would let them die off.