• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voted this morrning...

Golden Eagle

and for the second time I was confronted about my gun here in Schoolcraft township.
This time they had a man there in uniform with a badge say after I voted "Don't you think that's a little inappropriate."
I said "No what I'm doing is completely legal". Again he said "I know but it is inappropriate". I then walked it my car and realised I need his name and department and went back in. He was polite and said he was a code enforcement officer. (I thought with a badge?) He said I should just cover it up this isn't Texas.:rolleyes: I told him I carry all over Kzoo not just here and I get a lot of positive comments. Again he repeated it's inappropriate in a polling place and I said we'll have to agree to disagree he agreed we shook hands and I left.

I believe the lady in charge arranged for him to be there just for me. Should I arrange a meeting with her? I'll bet next time there will be no gun signs on this public building.

I did get a new "I VOTED" sticker for my revolver.:dude:

jmlefler

I believe a 'code enforcement officer' is township-hired; he has no 'general' authority, probably not MCOLES and doesn't have the authority to enforce non-township ordinances (not that you were violating any). He was harassing you outside of his authority. Your Township Supervisor is Don Ulsh (a Tea Party guy) and you may want to follow up with him.

Just for kicks, I'm linking to the list of ordinances in Schoolcraft. The Township does have the power to regulate discharge, but not carry, transportation, sales etc. http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14258

Carry on

J

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... they had a man there in uniform with a badge say after I voted "Don't you think that's a little inappropriate."
...said he was a code enforcement officer...

So what is the Code for what is appropriate?

Personally, I think it is inappropriate to hang around a polling place with a badge. That's intimidation, don't you know!

B

Bikenut

I think it is inappropriate for an employee of a government to use his official position to lend an air of authority to his personal opinion.

I suspect (not sure) that disciplinary action could be taken.

I surely am of the opinion that disciplinary actions should be taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

stainless1911

Banned
Its more that appropriate. Its free speech, making a very powerful statement as you vote. Even the polling people liked when I put my "I Voted" sticker on my holster. One lady even mentioned, with a smile, that someone else had done the same thing this morning.

Carrying a 5" M&P full size in a leg drop gets noticed. I should have brought the M1A.

Last edited:

fjpro2a

Why only one OCing?

If the Code Enforcer saw 50 or more coming in and voting (at various times) while OCing, the "novelty" would wear off. Golden Eagle, would you be able to arrange for a lot more to come in and vote while OCing? I know I am asking you to do some work while I am just spouting off, but I bet this would change the dynamics.

Fallschirjmäger

"Code Enforcement" officer? You mean the same guy that tells people their grass is getting too long, or they have too many junked cars on their property?

I hope you laughed in his face.

Billy

Good afternoon ~

My wife and I cast our votes this afternoon at the Butterfield Township hall (Missaukee County) while I openly carried my properly holstered pistol.

Upon walking in the building there was posted a sign prohibiting weapons inside the premises.

I was sporting my military issued O.D. green jacket with U.S. flag and my old NAVSPECWAR unit patch. Was wearing a very nice brown-leather holster. As I walked into the voting area I spoke with one of our neighbors who was supervising the voting and explained that the sign posted violated Michigan's Firearm Preemption Law and was therefore unlawful (Ref: MCL 123.1102, which states in part, "A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms").

I also told the folks in attendance of Article I, Section 6 of Michigan's Constitution: "Every person has the right to bear arms for defense of himself and the state" and that it was perfectly legal for me to be there armed with all lawful intent.

I want to deliver a hard-copy with some info (including the phone number to MSP's Executive Division) to the township hall so the town board members can get educated and rectify the matter.

Both me and my wife voted for Mr. Ron Paul and upon leaving I met another fellow who voted Ron Paul also, as did his wife and two children.

Take care folks...

Respectfully,
Billy

-Combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare

Bronson

My wife and I cast our votes this afternoon at the Butterfield Township hall (Missaukee County) while I openly carried my properly holstered pistol. Upon walking in the building there was posted a sign prohibiting weapons inside the premises.

Does your Township Hall house a Court or court offices? Does any official court business happen within the Township Hall? Do Townships even have courts?

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resources/other/lao/lao15-model.doc
Supreme Court Administrative Order 2001-1 states that weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court's written policy. Each court is required to submit a written policy conforming with this order to the State Court Administrator for approval. Courts are encouraged to collaborate with other entities in shared facilities and, where appropriate, to work with local funding units in developing the policy, which may be a separate plan or part of a general security program.

Unfortunately most chief judges seem to interpret the above as meaning they can ban firearms in the entire building where one of the listed areas is housed.

Bronson

Billy

That's a negative to to questions #1-2, Mr. Bronson.

This township hall doesn't have a court room. It's a small meeting hall out in the middle of the sticks.

Take care, sir.

Respectfully,
Billy

-Combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare

PDinDetroit

A few things come to mind, you will have to decide if they apply:

MCL 600.1825 said:
Arrest; privileged persons.

Sec. 1825.

(1) Every elector is privileged from arrest while going to, attending, and returning from elections in all cases except for treason, felony, or breach of the peace.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-600-1825

MCL 168.932 said:
Prohibited conduct; violation as felony.

Sec. 932.

A person who violates 1 or more of the following subdivisions is guilty of a felony:

(a) A person shall not attempt, by means of bribery, menace, or other corrupt means or device, either directly or indirectly, to influence an elector in giving his or her vote, or to deter the elector from, or interrupt the elector in giving his or her vote at any election held in this state.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-168-932

MCL 752.11 said:
Upholding or enforcing the law; duty of public officials.

Sec. 1.

Any public official, appointed or elected, who is responsible for enforcing or upholding any law of this state and who wilfully and knowingly fails to uphold or enforce the law with the result that any person's legal rights are denied is guilty of a misdemeanor.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-752-11

Ken56

Voted at 3:30 today.....all of 178 people had bothered to inconvenience themself to vote. I know it was a little early, I know alot of people have JOBS and arn't out till after 5pm, I am just amazed that people don't participate in the political process..... one that alot of people have died defending our right to do so. Its a real shame. Oh, and speaking of shame..... I DID NOT OC at the polling place, a local VFW hall. My bad, I turned and burned out the door so quickly when I got home (changed clothes) I left my pistol on my dresser........major fail. That wont happen again.