• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why the delay

detroit_fan

Hey guys, MI guy here but have been following your repeal of the 1 gun a month law and wondering why it has gone to the last possible day? He said he would sign it while campaigning, so what has taken him so long? Is there a chance he caves into the VT families and doesn't sign it? Seems like he could have signed it the day it hit his desk.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The governor is probably getting some pushback from the anti groups. He has said repeatedly that he will sign the bill. Waiting until the last day is not uncommon. That way he can say he gave ample opportunity for public input before signing the bill. Even if he doesn't sign the bill it will become law on July 1, so long as he doesn't veto it.

detroit_fan

The governor is probably getting some pushback from the anti groups. He has said repeatedly that he will sign the bill. Waiting until the last day is not uncommon. That way he can say he gave ample opportunity for public input before signing the bill. Even if he doesn't sign the bill it will become law on July 1, so long as he doesn't veto it.

thanks for the clarification. i was unsure what happened if he didn't sign it.

TFred

I was only half-way listening, but Governor McDonnell was on WTOP's Ask the Governor show today.

If I remember right, I believe he said that he was planning to meet with opponents of the bill to hear them out and explain his position before he signed it.

They usually post a copy of the hour-long interview, but it is not on the page at this time.

They did also quote him expressing support for allowing college campuses to ban guns. :mad:

10:27 a.m., speaking about guns on campus:

I think Boards of Visitors should be able to set policy for safety on their campuses. Many colleges have past laws saying guns should be banned. I'm a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, but safety on campus is the highest priority.

TFred

ETA: Ah, here's an article on it.

On WTOP's "Ask the Governor" program, McDonnell said Tuesday that he planned to speak to the families of the survivors and victims before he signed the bill.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
One thing to note here is that it doesn't matter if the governor signs the bill now, never or next week, the bill will become law on July 1, provided he doesn't veto the bill. In no case will the bill become law before July 1, 2012.

detroit_fan

Congrats guys! At least the republican legislature you elected is doing something for 2A rights in your state. We elected a republican super majority in MI for the first time in my life and they have not done jack for 2A rights here in MI.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
We may have Republicans in the legislature and in the governor's mansion, but despite movement on a few issues such as this, they haven't been all that useful in getting significant changes this year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll bet this doesn't boost the sale of handguns one bit. It just gets rid of another brainless law!

riverrat10k

Thank goodness this passed. I was running out of money to buy my monthly handgun!

Mark my words: Even though the law does not go into effect until 7-1, we will see some kind of "news" article about Virginia purchased guns showing up in NYC between now and then.