Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Carry laws for suppressors?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228

    Carry laws for suppressors?

    Well I'm getting more back from taxes than I thought so I'm getting myself a suppressor, not sure about anything more than that. ie, type caliber pistol/rifle stuff like that. I'm wondering about the laws (if there any) about carrying/transporting weapons with the suppressor attached.

    Now before everyone freaks out, I have no intention of walking the streets of Mooresville OCing my .45 with a 6" suppressor. I'm crazy, but thats a bit much for my taste. my question is more about having it on my rifle in the back seat during a traffic stop. Or maybe walking into the gun range from the parking lot... stuff like that.

    side note: anybody know any cheap class III dealers in Mooresville area that can do the transfer stuff? Thanks

    [I don't see how, but if for any reason I have broken any forum rules with my post, that was not my intention]

  2. #2
    Regular Member Ruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    548
    North Carolina does not allow the possession of, let alone carrying suppressors. Sorry

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    North Carolina does not allow the possession of, let alone carrying suppressors. Sorry

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I would recommend you KNOW the facts before posting OPINIONS.

    Not true. You can buy, own, and use them. My brother has 2 of them. I'm not sure about using them as a everyday carry item. I will ask him tomorrow when I talk with him.
    Last edited by muccione; 02-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    North Carolina does not allow the possession of, let alone carrying suppressors. Sorry

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    You might wanna check your facts on this one...... NC has no laws against any type of Class III weapon, as long as you have all your paperwork in order

  6. #6
    Regular Member Ruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    548
    My apologies aosailor. I was going off of something I recalled reading some time ago, which was outdated/wrong. Viewing / posting from my smartphone its a bit tiresome doing legal research - much easier from my laptop.

    Muccione, why so rude? Totally unnecessary. KNOW THAT


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    My apologies aosailor. I was going off of something I recalled reading some time ago, which was outdated/wrong. Viewing / posting from my smartphone its a bit tiresome doing legal research - much easier from my laptop.

    Muccione, why so rude? Totally unnecessary. KNOW THAT


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Not a problem, it happens, God knows I do it all the time! lol

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    My apologies aosailor. I was going off of something I recalled reading some time ago, which was outdated/wrong. Viewing / posting from my smartphone its a bit tiresome doing legal research - much easier from my laptop.

    Muccione, why so rude? Totally unnecessary. KNOW THAT


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    How was it rude?
    It is common knowledge here that we DON't listen to police about ANYTHING. We will get opinion and not fact.
    You replied to the post 30 minutes after the question was asked, Implying you know for FACT.
    Just saying if there is a tiny bit of uncertainty than wait to see IF someone REALLY knows.

    I'm actually in the process of getting a FFL type 07 class 3 so I can sell, manufacture firearms/suppressors.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    WOW! Thanks for this website. I was gonna buy directly through AAC, but I might just do everything through this guy...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hampton, AR
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    I'm actually in the process of getting a FFL type 07 class 3 so I can sell, manufacture firearms/suppressors.
    How far along are you in the process? Do you have any idea when you will get it? I might just be your 1st customer

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    How far along are you in the process? Do you have any idea when you will get it? I might just be your 1st customer
    3-6 months minimum. I am taking my time and having everything in place.
    If I get denied of any reason I can never get approved. Lots of stuff to read and remember.
    Just so you know Any suppressor you buy, new or used, you will still have to pay the Govt its $200 tax stamp. Its unavoidable.
    Good luck

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237

    North Carolina (NC) Class 3 Dealers

    North Carolina (NC) Class 3 Dealers
    Altamont Tactical Outfitters Weaverville 828-279-7973
    BEC Firearms Pinehurst 334-379-9200
    Class Two Enterprises Belmont 704-827-5566
    Creekside Firearms Wilson 252-292-4663
    Dancy Arms Salisbury 704-637-3654
    Edward Brady Fayetteville 910-485-8000
    Great Southern Arms Swansboro 910-326-7800
    Gunners Choice Outfitters Dunn 910-892-0909
    Guns Plus Inc Spring Lake 910-497-2440
    Guns Unlimited of Ayden Ayden 252-746-2102
    J&E Firearms Shawboro 252-202-1393
    Jeeco Macclesfield 252-827-4731
    Jeff Lawrence Four Oaks 919-963-3974
    JRS Taxidermy & Sporting Goods Bessemer City 704-860-5064
    Marvs Gun Shop Salisbury 704-633-7118
    North Carolina Silencer Charlotte 704-763-7906
    OBX Automatics Nags Head 252-473-0375
    One Stop Cop Shop Wilmington 866-530-2677
    Personal Defense & Handgun Safety Raleigh 919-779-6880
    PF Custorm Guns Asheville 828-252-9487
    PJS Investments Charlotte 704-947-0624
    Protect & Serve USA Sanford 919-935-2539
    R E Peetz Enterprises Concord 623-694-8320
    Shooters Express Belmont 704-822-990
    The Arsenal Inc. Roxboro 336-599-8407
    Tier 1 Group LLC Jacksonville 910-577-0321
    Tiger Bay Sailsbury 704-638-9627
    Top Gun Shelby 704-616-0310
    Trinity Arms Southern Pines 910-639-0209
    Wts Guns GOLDSBORO 919-735-4441

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    I do not know how much research you have done nor do I want to type every thing I know on the subject here. The Cliff Notes are - set up a Trust and have the trust purchase the suppressor. This takes asking for your Sheriff's permission out of the equation. I highly recommend J R's Taxidermy in Bessemer City. He has a booth at all the Gun Shows. Fair prices on the cans. He can do the Trust paperwork for you. Good guy.

    As far as in NC you will have some BATFE paperwork that you need to have with you when in possession of the suppressor. There is a letter you send to the BATFE when you are traveling to another state for "suppressor research purposes" and they stamp it and return it to you. Need one for every state you intend to stay in. No need for a state specific letter if you are traveling through. You have to do this "dance" every calender year. There are lots of people hunting hogs and coyotes in South Carolina with suppressed rifles. Not legal in NC though.
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 02-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member firedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    FL/NC
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    I do not know how much research you have done nor do I want to type every thing I know on the subject here. The Cliff Notes are - set up a Trust and have the trust purchase the suppressor. This takes asking for your Sheriff's permission out of the equation. I highly recommend J R's Taxidermy in Bessemer City. He has a booth at all the Gun Shows. Fair prices on the cans. He can do the Trust paperwork for you. Good guy.

    As far as in NC you will have some BATFE paperwork that you need to have with you when in possession of the suppressor. There is a letter you send to the BATFE when you are traveling to another state for "suppressor research purposes" and they stamp it and return it to you. Need one for every state you intend to stay in. No need for a state specific letter if you are traveling through. You have to do this "dance" every calender year. There are lots of people hunting hogs and coyotes in South Carolina with suppressed rifles. Not legal in NC though.
    This is very good information and some that I have not heard of before. Here's my situation and questions a I have sent to other people without getting a positive response.
    This "suppressor research purposes" caught my attention. Please enlighten me some more.

    Emails I sent:
    "Hello ???, I was wondering if you might have an answer to my question before I contact BATFE with the question and get an answer that may or may not be an opinion. I am in the process of drafting an NFA trust for buying a supressor.
    The question is. I live in Florida and the supressor/trust will be owned/drafted and recorded in Florida.
    I also own property in NC but I am still a Florida resident. What are the legalaties of pocesing a legaly own supressor in Florida and transporting, posesing and using it in North Carolina? I have been told, by less than experts, that the supressor can not be transported or pocessed across state lines or in a state other than that resigtered and recorded in the trust. In the same sentance the self proclaimed experts told me to contact BATFE to make sure. Humm! Please enlighten me with your understanding of the law. Can I legaly own a supressor in Florida and carry/use it in NC"?


    I have gotten many, many different answers to this question. I have not contacted BATFE but wanted to educate myself with terminology before doing so.

    firedog@cfl.rr.com
    2A - "Shall not be infringed". Our fathers said so!
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    Well I'm getting more back from taxes than I thought so I'm getting myself a suppressor, not sure about anything more than that. ie, type caliber pistol/rifle stuff like that.

    From most of the reports I've heard, BATFE is taking about 7 months now to process Class III applications and issue the stamps--EVEN for suppressors. If you order your can this spring, you MIGHT have it just in time for Thanksgiving.

    Don't hold your breath...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-28-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    North Carolina (NC) Class 3 Dealers
    Altamont Tactical Outfitters Weaverville 828-279-7973
    BEC Firearms Pinehurst 334-379-9200
    Class Two Enterprises Belmont 704-827-5566
    Creekside Firearms Wilson 252-292-4663
    Dancy Arms Salisbury 704-637-3654
    Edward Brady Fayetteville 910-485-8000
    Great Southern Arms Swansboro 910-326-7800
    Wts Guns GOLDSBORO 919-735-4441
    FYI, the Edward Brady listed above is NC Supreme Court Justice Brady

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    FYI, the Edward Brady listed above is NC Supreme Court Justice Brady

    1) Form a legal Trust.

    2) Have a NC Supreme Court Judge process your transfer and tax stamp application.

    3) tell your CLEO (and the Legislature and governor's office) to pound sand (figuratively, not literally).
    4) have FUN shooting without earmuffs...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-28-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    This is very good information and some that I have not heard of before. Here's my situation and questions a I have sent to other people without getting a positive response.
    This "suppressor research purposes" caught my attention. Please enlighten me some more.

    Emails I sent:
    "Hello ???, I was wondering if you might have an answer to my question before I contact BATFE with the question and get an answer that may or may not be an opinion. I am in the process of drafting an NFA trust for buying a supressor.
    The question is. I live in Florida and the supressor/trust will be owned/drafted and recorded in Florida.
    I also own property in NC but I am still a Florida resident. What are the legalaties of pocesing a legaly own supressor in Florida and transporting, posesing and using it in North Carolina? I have been told, by less than experts, that the supressor can not be transported or pocessed across state lines or in a state other than that resigtered and recorded in the trust. In the same sentance the self proclaimed experts told me to contact BATFE to make sure. Humm! Please enlighten me with your understanding of the law. Can I legaly own a supressor in Florida and carry/use it in NC"?


    I have gotten many, many different answers to this question. I have not contacted BATFE but wanted to educate myself with terminology before doing so.

    firedog@cfl.rr.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Legal Advice I received
    Travel and Use: Do not take National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms out of state without first checking with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATFE). For machine guns, short barrel rifles, and short barrel shotguns, you will need prior approval from BATFE on a Form 5320.20 to travel interstate or to permanently move NFA firearms to another state. This protects you from accidentally going someplace where they are banned. If the state you are traveling to allows possession of the type of NFA firearm you own, and you have received prior approval on a Form 5320.20 (if applicable), then you can transport the firearm through any state just like any other firearm. That means it must be unloaded and readily inaccessible (in a locked case or trunk of the car). While in a travel status you are afforded the same protection as any other gun owner under the Gun Owners Protection Act (GOPA 86) law. You cannot be legally arrested for simply passing through a state, county, or township where the guns are banned unless you violate the procedures just described or stop in that state for an extended period of rest. Necessary stops for food, gas, repairs, etc., are allowed. Stopping to site-see, visit friends, or even spend the night, might be construed as an unnecessary delay and place you at risk. Check your state and local laws for other restrictions that may apply regarding hunting, concealed carry, or self-defense with an NFA firearm.
    In the above quote I provided the suppressor falls under checking with the BATFE not Form 5320.20. You basically tell them where you are going, tell them it will be numerous trips from Jan. 1 of that year to Dec. 31 of that year and it is for ongoing research purposes (AKA none of your damn business). They will sign off on it and inform you of any states where you will be prohibited from staying if applicable. You have to remember that the BATFE is a National Enforcement Agency and state lines do not mean much to them. Being legal in one state that allows NFA's with the BATFE can transfer to another NFA legal state with their approval. Class III dealers travel across state lines all the time to demo their product to potential buyers.

    My motto is if you have to ask can I do something you will usually hear no, if you tell someone you are going to do something you will usually here OK.
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 02-29-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •