Thread: OC At Ron Paul Rally?

OC At Ron Paul Rally?

Has anyone had experience OCing at presidential candidate rally's here in Virginia?

I see posts of people OCing at Ron Paul events in Nevada, but not here in Virginia.

He's having a rally tonight:
    http://www.ronpaulcountry.com/conten...springfield-va

I would like to OC but don't want to get jumped by secret service and miss the rally.

Anyone else going OC to this?

Cool

Secret service is not tasked with protecting primaries candidates to the best of my knowledge.

Besides if you get "jumped" shoot them. They would be violating the law and you would be responding to a disparity of force.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

They are tasked with protecting candidates, but not all of them. Dr Paul does not have their protection.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Secret service is not tasked with protecting primaries candidates to the best of my knowledge.

Besides if you get "jumped" shoot them. They would be violating the law and you would be responding to a disparity of force.
    I don't think they will be there but if they are, they'll be a quiet pain in the butt unless something else happens or you act strange (Determining strange in NOVA is hard) They will follow you around though.

I'd worry more about the local cops. Like us old men in the country say...Them Novacops ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    I see posts of people OCing at Ron Paul events in Nevada, but not here in Virginia. . .

I would like to OC but don't want to get jumped by secret service and miss the rally.

Anyone else going OC to this?
    You probably have seen anything here, yet, because he (or any other candidate) hasn't spent any time campaigning here.

Romney is receiving SS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...aWhQ_blog.html
    Santorum is also getting SS and Gingrich has asked for it as well: http://politicalwire.com/archives/20...rotection.html

Paul is the only candidate not receiving or seeking SS at this time, and I very highly doubt that he will ask for it.

My guess is that you will be just fine OCing at a Paul event. I just wish that I could be there OCing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'd worry more about the local cops. Like us old men in the country say...Them Novacops ain't right!
    You can't judge them all based on Novacop10. Some of the others are actually quite good these days.

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    You can't judge them all based on Novacop10. Some of the others are actually quite good these days.
    I'm sorry to hear that despite who they were. Was it a plague or other natural disaster?

Last edited by peter nap; 02-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I believe Dr. Paul was a candidate in 2007 when he attended GRPC in Cincinnati. Many of us were OC'ing and shook his hand.

Ah darn, wish I had seen this earlier. I would have offered to go with you. Did you go? Any problems?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I went but CC'd.
    Would have really liked to have at least one other person come to OC with.

But being a solo OCer at a large rally where I was not familiar with protocol made the decision to avoid potential for something like this and keep a low profile, having one open legal case is already more than I can afford at the moment.

Looking back with hindsight, I'm pretty confident it would have not been an issue except for maybe some strange looks from all the Fairfax military err police officers outside.

Would have posted earlier, but didn't even hear about this event until last minute.

I went but CC'd.
    Would have really liked to have at least one other person come to OC with.

But being a solo OCer at a large rally where I was not familiar with protocol made the decision to avoid potential for something like this and keep a low profile, having one open legal case is already more than I can afford at the moment.

Looking back with hindsight, I'm pretty confident it would have not been an issue except for maybe some strange looks from all the Fairfax military err police officers outside.

Would have posted earlier, but didn't even hear about this event until last minute.
    Good for you for going and how you carry or not carry, is your business!
    I didn't know that you had an open case for anything so that makes your decision even more intelligent.

Many years ago I got on this board for the first time and said something about carrying. Someone jumped in and said WRONG, you have to always Bla Bla Bla.

I couldn't remember signing a pledge to carry a gun, that I'd been doing since they were in diapers...any certain way.

YOU DID FINE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120228_204135.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	8040Here's a pic from the rally. Very well attended, filled to "legal" capacity, so about 500 or so waited outside.

Great cross-section of society there, very different from other "republican" establishment events I've attended in the past!

Hope you are all going out to vote next Tuesday!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120228_204135.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	8040Here's a pic from the rally. Very well attended, filled to "legal" capacity, so about 500 or so waited outside.

Great cross-section of society there, very different from other "republican" establishment events I've attended in the past!

Hope you are all going out to vote next Tuesday!
    I voted absentee since I will be working the polls. However, tonight at my training we found out that voter turn-out is expected to be only 1-1.5% of registered voters. I am not surprised, just disappointed.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I voted absentee since I will be working the polls. However, tonight at my training we found out that voter turn-out is expected to be only 1-1.5% of registered voters. I am not surprised, just disappointed.
    Not surprising at all... I've received ZERO notice about the election (from government local/state or even from candidates). The only way I know is from my own investigations and initiative. Most sheeple probably have no clue there is a primary election next Tuesday or where they would go to vote anyhow!
    Last edited by hgreen; 02-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    They are tasked with protecting candidates, but not all of them.
    When did this happen and WHY is this even remotely their AO?

I thought they were supposed to protect the (p)resident and VP and investigate currency crimes. I am flabbergasted that we pay for these shenanigans.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq2

• Who is the Secret Service authorized to protect?

By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:

• The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
      • The immediate families of the above individuals
      • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
      • Children of former presidents until age 16
      • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
      • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
      • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
      • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Question

And here comes the "a-ha" moment for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
    Remind me when the GENERAL elections are?

And since these are PRIMARIES how does this apply?
    Last edited by wylde007; 02-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.

And here comes the "a-ha" moment for everyone.

Remind me when the GENERAL elections are?

+1 to that question.

Also, I have no direct info to back this up, but my guess would be that SS for Presidential candidates started some time after Bobby Kennedy was shot.

And here comes the "a-ha" moment for everyone.Remind me when the GENERAL elections are?

Wouldn't their current protection fall under this since we are more than 120 days out?
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq2

[*]Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and

[/LIST]
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

I'm voting for Ron Paul in the primary.

Glad you went bro.. wish I could have made it.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    Wouldn't their current protection fall under this since we are more than 120 days out?
    Has there been an executive order to this effect?

And if so, wouldn't preferential treatment (SS protection) of certain candidates and not of others be a disturbing precedent to set?

And isn't it curious how the Secret Service can be abbreviated by "SS" and they serve ONLY the whims of the (p)resident... ?

Has there been an executive order to this effect?

And if so, wouldn't preferential treatment (SS protection) of certain candidates and not of others be a disturbing precedent to set?

And isn't it curious how the Secret Service can be abbreviated by "SS" and they serve ONLY the whims of the (p)resident... ?
    Don't know. Was just putting it out there. Haven't there been cases in the past where SS protection is put in place because of threats against a candidate? May be they received threats and Paul didn't? Just guessing/speculating.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

DefCon 1! Congress trying hard to msake this a Federal Crime

Red alert!

The Noose Tightens!
    Just when you thought the government couldn’t ruin the First Amendment any further: The House of Representatives approved a bill on Monday that outlaws protests in instances where some government officials are nearby, whether or not you even know it.
    The source:

Goodbye, First Amendment: ‘Trespass Bill’ will make protest illegal
    The new legislation allows prosecutors to charge anyone who enters a building without permission or with the intent to disrupt a government function with a federal offense if Secret Service is on the scene, but the law stretches to include not just the president’s palatial Pennsylvania Avenue home. Under the law, any building or grounds where the president is visiting — even temporarily — is covered, as is any building or grounds “restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance."

Covered under the bill is any person protected by the Secret Service. Although such protection isn’t extended to just everybody, making it a federal offense to even accidently disrupt an event attended by a person with such status essentially crushes whatever currently remains of the right to assemble and peacefully protest.

In the text of the act, the law is allowed to be used against anyone who knowingly enters or remains in a restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so, but those grounds are considered any area where someone — rather it’s President Obama, Senator Santorum or Governor Romney — will be temporarily visiting, whether or not the public is even made aware. Entering such a facility is thus outlawed, as is disrupting the orderly conduct of “official functions,” engaging in disorderly conduct “within such proximity to” the event or acting violent to anyone, anywhere near the premises. Under that verbiage, that means a peaceful protest outside a candidate’s concession speech would be a federal offense, but those occurrences covered as special event of national significance don’t just stop there, either. And neither does the list of covered persons that receive protection.