• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC At Ron Paul Rally?

wylde007

Secret service is not tasked with protecting primaries candidates to the best of my knowledge.

Besides if you get "jumped" shoot them. They would be violating the law and you would be responding to a disparity of force.

kcgunfan

They are tasked with protecting candidates, but not all of them. Dr Paul does not have their protection.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Secret service is not tasked with protecting primaries candidates to the best of my knowledge.

Besides if you get "jumped" shoot them. They would be violating the law and you would be responding to a disparity of force.

I don't think they will be there but if they are, they'll be a quiet pain in the butt unless something else happens or you act strange (Determining strange in NOVA is hard:lol:) They will follow you around though.

I'd worry more about the local cops. Like us old men in the country say...Them Novacops ain't right!:monkey

VApatriot

I see posts of people OCing at Ron Paul events in Nevada, but not here in Virginia. . .

I would like to OC but don't want to get jumped by secret service and miss the rally.

Anyone else going OC to this?

You probably have seen anything here, yet, because he (or any other candidate) hasn't spent any time campaigning here.

Romney is receiving SS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ce-protection/2012/02/01/gIQAP4aWhQ_blog.html
Santorum is also getting SS and Gingrich has asked for it as well: http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/02/27/santorum_will_get_secret_service_protection.html

Paul is the only candidate not receiving or seeking SS at this time, and I very highly doubt that he will ask for it.

My guess is that you will be just fine OCing at a Paul event. I just wish that I could be there OCing myself.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You can't judge them all based on Novacop10. Some of the others are actually quite good these days. :)

I'm sorry to hear that despite who they were. Was it a plague or other natural disaster?

Flag_at_Half-Staff_only.jpg

Last edited:

IanB

I believe Dr. Paul was a candidate in 2007 when he attended GRPC in Cincinnati. Many of us were OC'ing and shook his hand.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ah darn, wish I had seen this earlier. I would have offered to go with you. Did you go? Any problems?

Last edited:

hgreen

I went but CC'd.
Would have really liked to have at least one other person come to OC with.

But being a solo OCer at a large rally where I was not familiar with protocol made the decision to avoid potential for something like this and keep a low profile, having one open legal case is already more than I can afford at the moment.

Looking back with hindsight, I'm pretty confident it would have not been an issue except for maybe some strange looks from all the Fairfax military err police officers outside.

Would have posted earlier, but didn't even hear about this event until last minute.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I went but CC'd.
Would have really liked to have at least one other person come to OC with.

But being a solo OCer at a large rally where I was not familiar with protocol made the decision to avoid potential for something like this and keep a low profile, having one open legal case is already more than I can afford at the moment.

Looking back with hindsight, I'm pretty confident it would have not been an issue except for maybe some strange looks from all the Fairfax military err police officers outside.

Would have posted earlier, but didn't even hear about this event until last minute.

Good for you for going and how you carry or not carry, is your business!
I didn't know that you had an open case for anything so that makes your decision even more intelligent.

Many years ago I got on this board for the first time and said something about carrying. Someone jumped in and said WRONG, you have to always Bla Bla Bla.

I couldn't remember signing a pledge to carry a gun, that I'd been doing since they were in diapers...any certain way.

YOU DID FINE!

hgreen

IMG_20120228_204135.jpgHere's a pic from the rally. Very well attended, filled to "legal" capacity, so about 500 or so waited outside.

Great cross-section of society there, very different from other "republican" establishment events I've attended in the past!

Hope you are all going out to vote next Tuesday!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
View attachment 8040Here's a pic from the rally. Very well attended, filled to "legal" capacity, so about 500 or so waited outside.

Great cross-section of society there, very different from other "republican" establishment events I've attended in the past!

Hope you are all going out to vote next Tuesday!

I voted absentee since I will be working the polls. However, tonight at my training we found out that voter turn-out is expected to be only 1-1.5% of registered voters. I am not surprised, just disappointed.

hgreen

I voted absentee since I will be working the polls. However, tonight at my training we found out that voter turn-out is expected to be only 1-1.5% of registered voters. I am not surprised, just disappointed.

Not surprising at all... I've received ZERO notice about the election (from government local/state or even from candidates). The only way I know is from my own investigations and initiative. Most sheeple probably have no clue there is a primary election next Tuesday or where they would go to vote anyhow!

Last edited:

wylde007

They are tasked with protecting candidates, but not all of them.
When did this happen and WHY is this even remotely their AO?

I thought they were supposed to protect the (p)resident and VP and investigate currency crimes. I am flabbergasted that we pay for these shenanigans.

paramedic70002

http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq2

• Who is the Secret Service authorized to protect?

By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:
    • The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
    • The immediate families of the above individuals
    • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
    • Children of former presidents until age 16
    • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
    • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
    • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
    • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

Steeler-gal