• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unlawfully Detained while Voting and Banned from all GRPS Schools

VW_Factor

I very much dislike forums where one must register to READ them.

Was he charged with anything?

Doesn't sound like there is anything to charge him with, he followed the silly laws.

VW_Factor

They said that he wasnt allowed to have a gun or other weapon at schol. I think they are trying the federal law, which doesnt apply to people with a gun registered to them.

A person licensed. Sounds like he has a CHL (or whatever they are there). You people in MI really have to register your guns? For shame.

TheSzerdi

Posted this in both comments sections:

Kudos for exercising two rights at once. In Michigan it is perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm in a school if you are a concealed pistol license holder.

You can look up the laws for yourself. MCL 750.234d and MCL 28.425o at http://legislature.mi.gov

Also, the "Federal Gun Free School Zone Act" provides an exemption for anyone licensed by the state they are in.

stainless1911

Banned
Our current legislature is useless. We gun owners voted, the right has the majority in the state as a result, and they sit and do nothing.

Except make it illegal to take the orange tip out of a toy gun, they have the time for that.

They are inept, and I for one, have taken the time to remind them of that fact.

TheQ

MOC has also reached out to both news organizations covering this and it's being discussed on our facebook page.

http://facebook.com/MichiganOpenCarry

I am disappointed the guy went on TV and blew half of his defense by admitting the facts.

His defense could be two pronged:

1. Deny the facts.
2. Assert the law that it is legal.

He just blew half his defense. It may have been better for him to reach out to an org like MOC or CLSD and let them speak to the media about the law -- this way no facts about the case are admitted.