• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

K-Mart/Sears are anti-gun, time to boycott them.

Small_Arms_Collector

I was just up at my local K-Mart today, and tried using their new free wifi, went to get on another gun board, and their filter blocked me citing, "weapons". It seems they have installed a filter to prevent anyone from looking up "evil" guns. So it looks like they have jumped on to the anti gun politically correct bandwagon. I used to shop there quite a bit no longer, any company that does not support my civil rights does not need my money, boycott K-Mart.

I will now start cross posting this to some other forums, and I will also E-Mail corporate, please join me.

The message I'll be sending:

I just learned that the filtering software your company has installed on your free in store wifi blocks any "weapons" related sites. As you know the second amendment to the US Constitution provides "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.", and this amendment has been upheld in not one, but two recent Supreme Court cases, and was incorporated to the states under the fourteenth Amendment. The right to keep, and bear arms is not just a basic constitutional, and civil right, but also a basic human right, yet your company has chosen to ignore that right by blocking your wifi from displaying any website that so much as acknowledges that right. It is clear given this politically motivated censoring of the internet where your company stands on relationship to my rights. I used to shop at your store frequently, but I no longer will, any business that does not respect my basic, and essential Constitutional, Civil, and Human rights does not deserve my money.

Also remember K-Mart, and Sears are the same company so this applies to them to.

VW_Factor

You are using their free wifi, and complain about a Net Admin's filtering policy.

Go home and use your own internet.

I'll filter whatever in the hell I want on my own network thank you.

(Devil's advocate)

Aknazer

They could easily have outsourced setting up the network or bought pre-setup filters for the network. Also while I don't really agree with a lot of the filters out there, it is their network and short of being really savvy on these things it can be hard for them to set up decent filters on their own.

Aknazer

Oh and I wouldn't call them anti-gun simply because of the filters on their network. Now if they were to ban guns from their store that would be a different story.

Steeler-gal

They aren't infringing on any of your constitutional rights. It's a firewall on a free network. They own it. They can block anything they want.

Sent using Tapatalk

carracer

It's not to limit the customers. It's to limit the employees.

The company I work for provides free internet for the customers as well as internet for the employees. The content filter filters both the same way. If it didn't you'd have all the employees logging onto the customer internet playing all day long instead of working. Like I am right now!

oliverclotheshoff

being a sears withholding comp employee

i will say they are very anti gun it is corporate policy to ban all weapons in sears/kmart/landsend property whether or not individual stores follow their policy to the letter is besides the fact but the policy is there and weapon related content the comes through their servers

bigdaddy1

K-Mart bought Sears Corp. some years ago in an attempt to save both companies from certain extinction. I remember many decades ago I worked at Sears in the Sporting Goods Department and they had hunting riffles and ammo, but walking through one now I don't see any of that. Very seldom go to K-Mart stores but the last time I did I don't remember seeing any posting.

hogeaterf6

The wife was buying a cheap mp3 player 2 weeks ago at k mart. She had her 38 on her hip and had a unzipped sweatshirt on. The worker said 'is that a gun?' 'Yes is there a problem?' 'Well i need to take this up and watch you buy this then.'

Told her she shoulda went shopping for underware and bras since he was following her around lol

Jack House

The wife was buying a cheap mp3 player 2 weeks ago at k mart. She had her 38 on her hip and had a unzipped sweatshirt on. The worker said 'is that a gun?' 'Yes is there a problem?' 'Well i need to take this up and watch you buy this then.'

Told her she shoulda went shopping for underware and bras since he was following her around lol
Did he seriously tell her that he had to watch her purchase the MP3 player because she was carrying?

DWCook

Activist Member
wow, that employee from what it sounds like just wanted to feel important at his job. Watching a customer buy an MP3 player just because of a firearm? Sounds like to me he's sucking up to his job to look more professional. Nothing against the person at all, but I would have laughed at him and said I will take my business else where as I feel I cant shop here.

Jack House

At Walmart, they always take lockup product to the front as standard procedure. So it might have just been some miss communication.

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk