Thread: After Wave Of Violence, Councilman Wants Gas Station Security

Thumbs down After Wave Of Violence, Councilman Wants Gas Station Security

Following a string of brutal killings and attacks, a city councilman is making bold suggestions to keep violent crimes down — including forcing gas station owners to hire security guards.
    More at the following link...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...lence-in-city/

I would hope that they give these Security Guards some training in Michigan OC Laws...

*facepalm*

This council member needs to learn to shut up and keep his not so bright ideas to himself.

Did anyone else notice this council member's name is Kwame K.?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by TheQ; 02-28-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I would hope that they give these Security Guards some training in Michigan OC Laws...
    As a Security Officer I would hope they are ARMED and not made into defensless targets like so many in my profession are.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    As a Security Officer I would hope they are ARMED and not made into defensless targets like so many in my profession are.
    +1

Clearly this idiot councilman either failed basic economics or worse doesn’t care about the costs the gas station owner would have to shoulder in order to provide security. They only make roughly 2-3 cents of profit per gallon sold. To hire a guard for even 12hrs a day or for 24-7 coverage would make the cost of gas comparatively skyrocket.

And exactly what would patrons be getting? Not much more than what a security camera already provides, which is to observe and report. The guard could serve as a visual deterrent and that’s about it. To actually hire an armed guard and then empower him to act on a patron’s behalf would cost a great deal per hour. Why? The costly insurance premium in the event he is injured or killed on the job.

What would happen in just a few short months is all the gas stations in the city of Detroit would go out of business or move because they wouldn’t be able to compete with the lower prices found in the surrounding suburbs who weren’t forced by the government to hire private security. This here is another perfect example of a politician destroying livelihoods and suffering no consequences.
    Last edited by cmdr_iceman71; 02-28-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    +1

Clearly this idiot councilman either failed basic economics or worse doesn’t care about the costs the gas station owner would have to shoulder in order to provide security. They only make roughly 2-3 cents of profit per gallon sold. To hire a guard for even 12hrs a day or for 24-7 coverage would make the cost of gas comparatively skyrocket.

And exactly what would patrons be getting? Not much more than what a security camera already provides, which is to observe and report. The guard could serve as a visual deterrent and that’s about it. To actually hire an armed guard and then empower him to act on a patron’s behalf would cost a great deal per hour. Why? The costly insurance premium in the event he is injured or killed on the job.

What would happen in just a few short months is all the gas stations in the city of Detroit would go out of business or move because they wouldn’t be able to compete with the lower prices found in the surrounding suburbs who weren’t forced by the government to hire private security. This here is another perfect example of a politician destroying livelihoods and suffering no consequences.
    Very well put good sir.

Maybe somebody should ask him about his mortgage that he walked away from?

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    +1

Also the liability possible if the officer applies fatal force wrongfully.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Angry Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooH!

Here is an idea: maybe instead of worrying about bankrupting gas station owners the good councilman should take a look at Detroit's own collapsing house of marked cards first? My God, even their Police force has been under Federal sanctions for over 10 years!
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 03-01-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    As another Security Guard I wouldn't trust most of the people I've met in this business to guard my dog's ***** and the one's that I would trust wouldn't take such a site posting because there's no way they'd be paid enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSzerdi View Post
    As another Security Guard I wouldn't trust most of the people I've met in this business to guard my dog's ***** and the one's that I would trust wouldn't take such a site posting because there's no way they'd be paid enough.
    No lie there!

Just like the mandate to buy health insurance is unconstitutional, a mandate to buy security services is just as unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

This is coming from the same idiot who said a few weeks ago that gas stations and restaurants in the City of Detroit should be closed between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. This guy is a fricken moron, and hopefully the citizens of Detroit will see that, and not re-elect him for another term, but I highly doubt that will happen.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...z/-/index.html

Security Gaurds for Gad Stations

What the city of DETROIT needs to worry about is getting their police more man power and better response time , IF the city cracked down on crime and stop some of the plea bargaining maybe than crime would slow down BUT until than the people of DETROIT needs to arm them selves for their own protection !
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMarine View Post
    This is coming from the same idiot who said a few weeks ago that gas stations and restaurants in the City of Detroit should be closed between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. This guy is a fricken moron, and hopefully the citizens of Detroit will see that, and not re-elect him for another term, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Security Gaurds for Gas Stations

What the city of DETROIT needs to worry about is getting their police more man power and better response time , IF the city cracked down on crime and stop some of the plea bargaining maybe than crime would slow down BUT until than the people of DETROIT needs to arm them selves for their own protection !
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMarine View Post

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm_ski View Post
    Amen to that!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington