• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Friendly/Unfriendly Places

BroncoFF

I know that these are everywhere on this site, but they tend to never really be updated since places tend to change their policies daily. I was hoping y'all could help me gather up a list of gun friendly and unfriendly places so we can get an organized up to date one. Might you say "Ultimate end all" thread on this topic.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Check out the "Friend or Foe" web site. It is by no means complete, but it will give you a good idea of friendly businesses and places that don't honor our rights. Small towns and remote areas are not nearly as well represented, but the urban areas tend to be pretty well-covered and reviewed...

http://friendorfoe.us/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know that these are everywhere on this site, but they tend to never really be updated since places tend to change their policies daily. I was hoping y'all could help me gather up a list of gun friendly and unfriendly places so we can get an organized up to date one. Might you say "Ultimate end all" thread on this topic.
Thanks.

Lag in reporting time, change of status and a myriad other details like following through with contacts to corporate offices etc. is part of the problem in maintaining such a list.

You wouldn't be volunteering for such duty would you? :lol:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Although the VCDL "gun unfriendly" list looks like it has had some update to remove some of the stores that have been determined to be friendly (after a change of heart) the site still shows Red Lobster as being unfriendly. My own experience in addition to the experience of many here makes it appear that Red Lobster (like the other Darden restaurants: Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse and others) has had a change of heart and has no issue with OC or CC. My wife worked for the company for over 10 years and had never heard of such policy until we saw it on the VCDL site. Red Lobster should probably be removed from the list.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Although the VCDL "gun unfriendly" list looks like it has had some update to remove some of the stores that have been determined to be friendly (after a change of heart) the site still shows Red Lobster as being unfriendly. My own experience in addition to the experience of many here makes it appear that Red Lobster (like the other Darden restaurants: Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse and others) has had a change of heart and has no issue with OC or CC. My wife worked for the company for over 10 years and had never heard of such policy until we saw it on the VCDL site. Red Lobster should probably be removed from the list.

Good point - I'll pass it on.

Personally, I've never had a problem in any of their restaurants.

Glockster

I'm a VCDL member. I have provided a couple of updates for the list that included back and forth email (this wasn't something that I just sent off to an email black hole). Nothing was updated. The only point that I'm making is that the listing is not up to date and have learned that you have to take what's there as not necessarily current or accurate.

Frankly, I agree with the OP. I too have found myself having to bounce from forum to forum looking for hints of what might be current about one business or another. So yes, I wish there was a comprehensive listing that was current and with accurate information. FWIW.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I have provided a couple of updates for the list that included back and forth email (this wasn't something that I just sent off to an email black hole). Nothing was updated. The only point that I'm making is that the listing is not up to date and have learned that you have to take what's there as not necessarily current or accurate.

You and I both. The first time I made a submission I receive such heckling, belittling and foul natured e-mails from the coordinator I wondered if the VCDL was even a worthwhile organization. I know after some experience that it is a generally very good organization, but any organization has its turds. If I really need to know about some place I look here and the Friend of Foe site and if I don't find my answer I OC anyway just like I would anywhere else.

Fortunately OC unfriendly businesses and organizations are in such a minority in this state it's noteworthy when you run across one. I've had various occasions upon walking into a place for the first time where the workers say "Hey what's that you're carrying there? I carry a ......" and we end up talking about guns.

Last edited: