• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I got 2 pints against me on the Firing Line Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhco50

A few weeks ago I was perusing the Firing Line forum. I came across one of the famous arguments concealed carriers like to start to badmouth us open carriers. I played along and finally I explained to them that I thought CCW holders were sneaky and that I carried mine like an honest person for all to see. Not a quote but close to what I said as I couldn't find the thread again.

I went on tonight and signed in and had a message. I went to see who would possibly message me for anything and it was a moderator. It said I was insulting and that I now had 2 points against me. I have no idea what points are as I have never heard of them. However, I didn't feel I was insulting anymore than they were. They seem to think we are all exhibitionists just trying to be cool. I guess they don't like my honest open approach to my answer to this. :eek:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Two points!?! Oh! My! God!

What would they do on a forum where the rules are more relaxed?

Kinda makes a fella proud to be a member of a big boys forum.

:)

sawah

OK, this is ridiculous.

If a person who is in favor of CCW can't:

1. See HUMOR in a firearms-related forum which is OH SO STUFFY and freakin' full of themselves, they need to be taken down a peg or slapped with a fish.
2. See that a CCW-only, heads up their behind opinion, hating on OC-ers person who does that in full ignorance of the TRUTH is a nitwit
3. See they have rejected reality and substituted their own

...we need to, as a forum (trans: band 'o thugs(tm), lol) go over there and all get banned or die trying (kinda kidding) to support the OP and get those points removed AT LEAST.

COME ON. jeeze (rolls eyes)

The plain truth is CCWers, are brothers-in-arms, or should be, who CCW out of logic and necessity. BUT if any one is a splinter group who may contain 'members' who are BY DEFINITION "sneaky", if that ain't the truth (logically) what is? They are HISTORICALLY sneaky. Hiding=sneaky.

We're protecting our rights by 2A promotion (a promo of one, at least). We should be looked up to, not looked down on.

(I'm being really sarcastic and using hyperbole here)

yz9890

you called everyone that CC's a coward. that's certainly an insult to an extremely large bunch of people. however, I don't think it rates any form of cyber-punishment. worse things have been said in the last 10 minutes I'd guess.

Fallschirjmäger

I think I remember getting banned on there because some cop made a comment that "someone being 'scared of that man with a pistol' was justification enough for arresting/issuing a citation for disturbing the peace" or something or other.

Asking "So, suppose I'm afraid of yellow polka dotted shirts and there's someone wearing one and it scares me, are you going to cite/arrest them too?" didn't go over very well.

I may have to go to the library's computers and see if I can get another registration.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Points on a forum. Meh..

On some of the forums I've been a member of for years, all my infractions won't fit on a single page.

>.>

Marco

Originally Posted By: Bugzy on VAGT

It has always been understood that "OPEN CARRY" is leaving your fly open....

Gosh, my rebuttal (which is posted below) of this poster on VAGT would have probably got me banned over there...:lol:

Agent19 on VAGT said:
That would explain why only LITTLE MEN appear to have issues with it.

jhco50

I think I remember getting banned on there because some cop made a comment that "someone being 'scared of that man with a pistol' was justification enough for arresting/issuing a citation for disturbing the peace" or something or other.

Asking "So, suppose I'm afraid of yellow polka dotted shirts and there's someone wearing one and it scares me, are you going to cite/arrest them too?" didn't go over very well.

I may have to go to the library's computers and see if I can get another registration.

LOL, slapped him up the side of his head a good one. I belong to a few gun forums and I am always shoot from the hip as far as expressing my feelings on a subject. If they ban me, oh well.

I belong to a Liberal forum out of San Francisco, California. They hate me on that forum. I got on there when they were talking about gun control and since I have had many years experience I thought I would go on there and educate them. It was like dropping into a den of snakes. After picking up my jaw that had dropped, I went to one of the gun forums and got some help. We force fed them the true information.

Feeling pretty cocky I dropped into a thread on DADT. Ok, that wasn't a good move on my part. I got silenced four times. Seems they don't like being called faggots, nor do they like me threatening to kick their arses. :eek: I have become the resident conservative there. ;)

jhco50

I like this forum here because of the laid back atmosphere. I come here so I can read and relax.

mahkagari

Seems they don't like being called faggots, nor do they like me threatening to kick their arses.

Nor do the Pink Pistols or the men and women in uniform who are now "allowed" to put said arses on the line protecting RKBA and taking out anti-US arse for the rest of us.

If you're looking for pro2A liberals, there's The Liberal Gun club. There was an interesting anti-hunting thread over there. Rather, the thread was created in the hunting section of the forum to centralize any anti-hunting comments. Not many. Most were pretty sane and some only needed a push to understand conservation. But that's if people want to look for 2A allies rather than picking a fight for lack of anything productive to do with their time.

ETA: P.S. I'm still trying to figure out this subject line. WTH are pints against you? Do you owe the moderators two servings of Guiness? Is there a limit to the number of pints you can owe them? Can you earn pints back by like winning at darts or something? (I think I'm spending too much time in rugby clubs here.)

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Seems they don't like being called faggots, nor do they like me threatening to kick their arses.

Very mature of you.

Is that how we (gun owners) are to be represented?

Incidentally, I lived in San Francisco, knew quite a few gun owners, and had many positive conversations about guns. I also discovered that a great many "anti gun" folks were really just repeating the only argument they'd ever heard, and a decent counterargument made with the right attitude was surprisingly frequently successful in moderating their opinion. The simple fact is, gun control is stupid. Whereas, the RKBA is a right. It's not a partisan issue (even if a few insist it is), and the reason we're experiencing relative success lately is because most people just don't buy it.

Walking in there all righteous and aggressive, treating them like the "other"... Yeah. That's going to ensure none of them consider any of your arguments.

FTG-05

One of the last times I posted over there was when I commented on one of Mainsail's pro-OC posts being unfair since it had logic, facts and reflected reality vs. the anti-OCers typical diatribes. In response, I got a snarky public comment from one of the moderators about making personal attacks or some such. I PM'd the mod and got some bs response, I don't know even know or care any more.

Bottom line: the mods over there are pretty much pro-CC and anti-OC, IMO.

WCrawford

A few weeks ago I was perusing the Firing Line forum. I came across one of the famous arguments concealed carriers like to start to badmouth us open carriers. I played along and finally I explained to them that I thought CCW holders were sneaky and that I carried mine like an honest person for all to see. Not a quote but close to what I said as I couldn't find the thread again.

I went on tonight and signed in and had a message. I went to see who would possibly message me for anything and it was a moderator. It said I was insulting and that I now had 2 points against me. I have no idea what points are as I have never heard of them. However, I didn't feel I was insulting anymore than they were. They seem to think we are all exhibitionists just trying to be cool. I guess they don't like my honest open approach to my answer to this. :eek:

That is nothing. I've been banned from Firearms Talk forums for having the gall to ask a "respected member" to back up his statement of law with a cite (cited reason when I log is is that I'm a "douche bag").

I've been banned from Tennessee Gun Owners for being Leonard Embody, and banned from Glock Talk for an unknown reason, probably for expecting cops to obey the law.

jhco50

Very mature of you.

Is that how we (gun owners) are to be represented?

Incidentally, I lived in San Francisco, knew quite a few gun owners, and had many positive conversations about guns. I also discovered that a great many "anti gun" folks were really just repeating the only argument they'd ever heard, and a decent counterargument made with the right attitude was surprisingly frequently successful in moderating their opinion. The simple fact is, gun control is stupid. Whereas, the RKBA is a right. It's not a partisan issue (even if a few insist it is), and the reason we're experiencing relative success lately is because most people just don't buy it.

Walking in there all righteous and aggressive, treating them like the "other"... Yeah. That's going to ensure none of them consider any of your arguments.
I think you misread my post. The gun control thread was one thread and the DADT thread was separate. Yes, I did lose my temper with a couple of the gays on the DADT thread and I did deserve to be silenced. I took my punishment and went on with it. I have been on that site for a long time now and everyone knows where I stand on the major subjects, but that is for another site.

I and my fellow firearms enthusiasts represented our position well. We actually changed opinions so we represented our community very well.

jhco50

Nor do the Pink Pistols or the men and women in uniform who are now "allowed" to put said arses on the line protecting RKBA and taking out anti-US arse for the rest of us.

If you're looking for pro2A liberals, there's The Liberal Gun club. There was an interesting anti-hunting thread over there. Rather, the thread was created in the hunting section of the forum to centralize any anti-hunting comments. Not many. Most were pretty sane and some only needed a push to understand conservation. But that's if people want to look for 2A allies rather than picking a fight for lack of anything productive to do with their time.

ETA: P.S. I'm still trying to figure out this subject line. WTH are pints against you? Do you owe the moderators two servings of Guiness? Is there a limit to the number of pints you can owe them? Can you earn pints back by like winning at darts or something? (I think I'm spending too much time in rugby clubs here.)

Actually it is points. It was late and I couldn't figure out how to correct my spelling after I posted it.

sawah

Thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that often times, by taking a 'position' we virtually label ourselves, take 'sides' and even weld ourselves into a box.

Could a CC do an OC regime "sometimes" and still stay true to their philosophy?

Could an OC-er do a CC "sometimes" and stay true to the 2A and 'easier to access options'?

Heck, could one use a deodorant that's strong enough for a man but made for a woman? :) (I forget how that goes...)

Well, for example here's a routine I've been thinking of. Again, like some other threads this may or may not be what I do at any given time...

1. My SO and I both carry. So I'm thinking of OCing a snubbie or revolver in a type of almost IWB holster, wearing black clothing, all dull black finishes, and given my waistline is small, it kind of disappears into that area. You almost don't know what it is unless you take a flashlight and look, but it's definitely open carry.
2. I've taken to my bladed EDC as two knives, one a large blade in the weak side pocket and the other a shorter blade but same handle config in the strong side. I'm going to practice deploying both a knife and a gun. I'll use a kinetic opening so I don't have to use both hands. I might even do a reverse grip on the knife (blade upward).
3. I'm also playing with the flashlight deploy in both weak and strong hand, and a flashlight/laser deploy in various configs.

What would be cool is to have a flashlight with >100 lumens, a good police-strength OC spray, and a hand-held green laser pointer that's metal and can act like a tactical spike.

My carry routine won't be changing right now, but my practice routine might be all over the place, even including a baton, a cane and things like sap gloves.

Now, I hasten to say I am trained to fight with all of those, tactically and with force-on-force. Having a bunch of tools on your belt like Batman is nice for weight loss and fitness, but if you can't fight with them, it's just a confusing morass of junk in a 'see the elephant' tunnel-vision situation.

Here I'm trying to break out of the mold, but not in my standard EDC/deploy, because of the muscle memory.

I'm also trying to decrease the adrenaline dump in various ways, and one is for my SO to coordinate various activities and carries and lethal and non-lethal options.

BUT THIS IS A HOBBY, not an attempt to be a crime fighter or a Mall Ninja. And it's one I do at the open range, loaded and unloaded, as a tactical and practical test bed.

Anyway, if we weren't so stuck in the mud/mold the lines might blur and the animosity decrease between like-minded groups.

FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.