• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd LEO encounter in BC

sawah

The law is vague. One part is 'any person...stopped...(traffic stop or otherwise), shall'

What if the LEO, elbow on table, waggles his little finger, saying nothing.

In that event it just looks coy. I don't see this (on foot, him seated, hat off, on private property, off-call eating lunch) as a 'stop'.

That's the problem with CPL disclosure laws. Michigan, Ohio, and a few other states, need to get rid of these laws.

Look at it this way. Say you're a tree cutter and you're wearing plaid shirt, lumberjack attire and boots and you walk into the restaurant with a chain saw (a little one). Is a LEO gonna stop and ID you? (You're on foot because you live two houses over).

NO! Yet a chainsaw is just as 'odd', lethal, dangerous as a firearm. (remember the 20 foot rule on a guy with a knife).

RenkaiWulf

Simple. He wanted to violate his oath by charging you with a felony instead of protecting your right to both keep and to bear arms. That would have sent you to prison where prison things would happen to you for around 5 years, you would be financially ruined, emotionally and socially destroyed, never be able to vote or be armed again, all because you are such a hardened and dangerous criminal who must be stopped.

you can vote as a felon here in Michigan, you just can not vote while serving your sentence

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1633_11619-123989--,00.html

Can someone convicted of a felony register and vote? Can a person confined in jail or prison register and vote?

MCL 168.492a reads: "A person confined in a jail, who is otherwise a qualified elector, prior to trial or sentence may, upon request, register under section 504. The person shall be deemed a resident of the city, township, and address at which he resided before confinement. A person while confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced shall not be eligible to register."

MCL 168.758b reads: "A person who, in a court of this or another state or in a federal court, has been legally convicted and sentenced for a crime for which the penalty imposed is confinement in jail or prison shall not vote, offer to vote, attempt to vote, or be permitted to vote at an election while confined."

Given the above restrictions, a Michigan resident confined in jail or prison that is awaiting arraignment or trial is eligible to register and vote. A Michigan resident who is serving a sentence in jail or prison after conviction cannot register or vote during his or her period of confinement. After a Michigan resident who is serving a sentence in jail or prison is released, he or she is free to participate in elections without restriction.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I agree with this. OP went from OC to CC right before the LEO's eyes.

why, a license is required to drive, but when i enter my vehicle i don't expect to be accosted by the police unless they have prior knowledge that i do not posses a driver's license. the same applies with a CPL. unless the officer has powers that allow him to mind meld or use the force and know whether or not I have a CPL or have RAS that a crime has been or is about to be committed, then he has no reason to ask for a CPL.

stainless1911

Banned
Laws don't make sense, they were written by the senseless.

You can CC at home without a CPL. Why? Its private property. If they want to search your home they need a warrant, why? Because its private property. They also need a warrant to search your car, why? Because it's private property. If you carry a gun in your car without a CPL, its a felony. Make sense?

Yance

why, a license is required to drive, but when i enter my vehicle i don't expect to be accosted by the police unless they have prior knowledge that i do not posses a driver's license. the same applies with a CPL. unless the officer has powers that allow him to mind meld or use the force and know whether or not I have a CPL or have RAS that a crime has been or is about to be committed, then he has no reason to ask for a CPL.

To further this age old argument..

OCing, as we all know, in michigan requires no license (CPL) therefore the MSP LEO had nothing to confront the OP for because OC is legal with no license require and according to MSP update #86 someone OCing a pistol is to be seen as lawful activity.

Once the OPs jacket covered the pistol he was carrying a firearm concealed on his person, a violation of MCL 750.227 which states a person shall not carry a concealed firearm on or about their person...

The MSP LEO had RAS to question the OP and request to see his CPL due to the fact that the OP was now carrying a concealed weapon in violation of MCL 750.227 unless he is exempt by having a CPL.

Now that the officer has witnessed the OP cover up his firearm he now has a reason to believe that the crime of carrying a concealed firearm is being committed, thus leading to the stop and questioning of the CPL. Once the MSP LEO figured out the OP was exempt by having a valid MI CPL the OP was allowed to go on his way.

PDinDetroit

OCing, as we all know, in michigan requires no license (CPL) therefore the MSP LEO had nothing to confront the OP for because OC is legal with no license require and according to MSP update #86 someone OCing a pistol is to be seen as lawful activity.

You sure about that???

MCL 28.422 said:
License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(6) Within 48 hours after receiving the license copies returned under subsection (5), the licensing authority shall forward 1 copy of the license to the department of state police. The licensing authority shall retain the other copy of the license as an official record for not less than 6 years. Within 10 days after receiving the license copies returned under subsection (5), the licensing authority shall electronically enter the information into the pistol entry database as required by the department of state police if it has the ability to electronically enter that information. If the licensing authority does not have that ability, the licensing authority shall provide that information to the department of state police in a manner otherwise required by the department of state police. Any licensing authority that provided pistol descriptions to the department of state police under former section 9 of this act shall continue to provide pistol descriptions to the department of state police under this subsection. The purchaser has the right to obtain a copy of the information placed in the pistol entry database under this subsection to verify the accuracy of that information. The licensing authority may charge a fee not to exceed $1.00 for the cost of providing the copy. The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license. However, the person is not required to have the license in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

cmdr_iceman71

+ 1

Thanks PDinDetroit you and a few others on this board are very good at retrieving and citing the related laws.

It irks me to no end when I read people saying no license is required to OC in Michigan. I saw that in the comments section of the article regarding the man in Grand Rapids who was detained for OCing at the school while voting. One must remember we have far more newbies and lurkers, than regular particpants so it is important that we state our case most accurately. Why? Because not everyone will know what we really mean to say and then go outside half cocked from a legal point of view.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
+ 1

Thanks PDinDetroit you and a few others on this board are very good at retrieving and citing the related laws.

It irks me to no end when I read people saying no license is required to OC in Michigan. I saw that in the comments section of the article regarding the man in Grand Rapids who was detained for OCing at the school while voting. One must remember we have far more newbies and lurkers, than regular particpants so it is important that we state our case most accurately. Why? Because not everyone will know what we really mean to say and then go outside half cocked from a legal point of view.

Thank you... dispelling misinformation is tedious but very necessary

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
To further this age old argument..

Once the OPs jacket covered the pistol he was carrying a firearm concealed on his person, a violation of MCL 750.227 which states a person shall not carry a concealed firearm on or about their person...

The MSP LEO had RAS to question the OP and request to see his CPL due to the fact that the OP was now carrying a concealed weapon in violation of MCL 750.227 unless he is exempt by having a CPL.

Now that the officer has witnessed the OP cover up his firearm he now has a reason to believe that the crime of carrying a concealed firearm is being committed, thus leading to the stop and questioning of the CPL. Once the MSP LEO figured out the OP was exempt by having a valid MI CPL the OP was allowed to go on his way.

the law requires a license to operate a vehicle, but i don't see police stopping everyone getting into a vehicle to ask to see a driver's license

PDinDetroit

+ 1

You are most welcome.

Sorry I have not been here as often as I would like. For the past 6 months, I have been having terrible headaches and the doctors are not sure of the cause or solution yet. For those who pray, please do so for me.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
In the past they've done that exact thing until the Supreme Court told them to stop doing it. And until the SC told them to stop it was legal for them to do so.

Bronson

In Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979), the US Supreme Court ruled that the police stopping vehicles for no reason other than to check the drivers' licenses and registrations was unconstitutional.

Sangre

I've had multiple occasions in which I transferred from OC to CC, or vice versa in which an officer saw me before and afterwards and nothing was said to me.

I had put my jacket on in my car before I got out in a parking lot, and it was covering my handgun I didn't adjust it open until I got out and there happened to be an officer right there sitting in his car.

The other time I was inside a WaWa and there where two officers walking out who definitely saw me OC, and I put my jacket over the gun because it started raining outside and walked outside where they where standing at that point and walked strong side past them and they nodded but said nothing.

I think it depends on the officers and the area that your in, the first time I expected to be stopped because of the county I was in but wasn't the second time I wasn't surprised when nothing was said to me.

Bronson

In Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979), the US Supreme Court ruled that the police stopping vehicles for no reason other than to check the drivers' licenses and registrations was unconstitutional.

Thanks for the cite. My point being that until the Delaware v. Prouse SC ruling the police were doing this and it was considered constitutional because a higher authority hadn't yet told the police that it WASN'T constitutional. The way I see it the same thing will have to happen for concealed carriers before the police are forced to stop detaining them simply for noticing that they are concealing a pistol.

Bronson

gasgasmi

I've had multiple occasions in which I transferred from OC to CC, or vice versa in which an officer saw me before and afterwards and nothing was said to me.

I had put my jacket on in my car before I got out in a parking lot, and it was covering my handgun I didn't adjust it open until I got out and there happened to be an officer right there sitting in his car.

The other time I was inside a WaWa and there where two officers walking out who definitely saw me OC, and I put my jacket over the gun because it started raining outside and walked outside where they where standing at that point and walked strong side past them and they nodded but said nothing.

I think it depends on the officers and the area that your in, the first time I expected to be stopped because of the county I was in but wasn't the second time I wasn't surprised when nothing was said to me.

I was surprised this time. I figure he was fishing, or bored, or wanted to intimidate someone that day and I was the first chance. I knew I was legal so I wasn't worried.