• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S.W.A.T. stalks protesters outside Capitol

Repeater

I had no idea this ever happened before. I wonder if they shadow us?

Bob McDonnell deploys State Police SWAT team against peaceful candlelight vigil

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

Repeater

Capitol Police Chief explains response to pro-choice vigil

Capitol Police Chief explains response to pro-choice vigil
Whiting and Wilmore both describe seeing police in full riot gear, and in numbers that were not proportional to their peaceful gathering.

“It was surprising that they would bring out such a big force,” she said. “It was a little intimidating.”

Pike agreed, the protest was peaceful and those in attendance were cooperative with his officers. He explained that in addition to Capitol Police, the State Police was on hand guarding the Executive Mansion. The Virginia State Police handles all protection of the governor and his family. The governor has no say in the level of that protection.

He also said that the perceived heavy level of force was not there to keep the protestors in line, but to prevent a serious incident if a counter protest were to erupt.

“We heard chatter all day about this group or that group potentially showing up at the Capitol,” said Pike. “We don’t want to see anyone get hurt, so we take all necessary precautions.”

Gee, good to know -- for future reference.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The old "heard chatter we alls on high alert" Bull$hit again!

They did the same thing a month or so ago with a Tea party protest I videoed.

BTW, the fellow with the Balclava is committing a felony.
§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or (b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.
(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-364, 18.1-367; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1986, c. 19; 2010, cc. 262, 420.)

There's no exemption for sillya$$ed squareheads who've been watching too many GI Joe movies.

wylde007

"They" would justify it under

Subparagaph (ii)

"engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons;"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, would probably be argued as acceptable under (ii).

riverrat

I'd love to hear how they would argue that.

"Your Honor, we put our life on the line every day and it's jungle out there so I have to hide my identity from those that would take my picture, put it on the internet and make fun of me".:lol:

wylde007

It's in case they decide to start flinging tear gas at civilians so that their breathing is protected when it is hurled back at them.

Or some-such.

Uber_Olafsun

I'd love to hear how they would argue that.

"Your Honor, we put our life on the line every day and it's jungle out there so I have to hide my identity from those that would take my picture, put it on the internet and make fun of me".:lol:

Was thinking the same thing. A gas mask could be PPE but just wearing a mask to hide you identity is a crime.

2a4all

I had no idea this ever happened before. I wonder if they shadow us?

Bob McDonnell deploys State Police SWAT team against peaceful candlelight vigil

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg
They do. When we were up there for Lobby Day (2010?), my wife and I took a walk around the capitol grounds on our way back to our car. As we walked from the Governor's Mansion toward the street that's in front of the Virginia Library, we saw over 50 VSP Troopers carrying riot shields leaving that building and heading for their cars. We walked to our car among them. We saw no sign of this when we arrived (about 8:30 am).

Maybe they were expecting trouble?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
BTW, the fellow with the Balclava is committing a felony.

There's no exemption for sillya$$ed squareheads who've been watching too many GI Joe movies.

Is there an exemption for asians who walk around Blacksburg wearing surgical masks?

As to the OP, where's PALO to argue how awesome it is to have SWAT running around pointing AR15s at protesters?

Last edited:

mk4

where's PALO to argue how awesome it is to have SWAT running around pointing AR15s at protesters?

On special detachment down at the dunkin' with his buddies protecting the fresh glazed and powdered.

Last edited:

Sheriff

Let's assume Johnny Law is indeed breaking the law by wearing the mask.

Who's gonna charge him? You would never find a magistrate or judge willing to write the warrant.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let's assume Johnny Law is indeed breaking the law by wearing the mask.

Who's gonna charge him? You would never find a magistrate or judge willing to write the warrant.

Yep!
That pretty much says it all.