• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portsmouth: Cop on trial says he intended to “destroy that person.”

Repeater

Scary attitude:

Portsmouth officer testifies in excessive force case
The Portsmouth police officer facing civil trial in the shooting death of an unarmed man spoke publicly for the first time about the incident, testifying that he believed he was under attack and that he fired with the intent to “destroy” the man.

Police Officer Stephen D. Rankin said he believed Kirill Denyakin was charging at him with a weapon when he fired 11 rounds that night in April last year. Rankin said he was responding to a burglary call on Green Street and when he arrived he saw Denyakin banging “violently” on the glass door of an apartment building.

In the confrontation, Rankin said Denyakin had a “steely-eyed look” like “he made a decision to come and attack me.”

He said he began firing after Denyakin took “about four strides” toward him and was ignoring repeated warnings to “stop” and “get down on the ground.”

Rankin said even after being hit by the initial rounds, Denyakin continued toward him, but never spoke.

“It just seemed to not affect him until the end,” he said.

Rankin acknowledged that during a prior interview he had said his intent was to “destroy that person.

Wearing his police uniform and often turning toward the jury when answering a question, Rankin spoke evenly and unemotionally as he recounted the events that night. He was on the witness about two hours over the course of today and yesterday afternoon.

In these kind of civil trials, why should cops be allowed to wear their uniforms? Doesn't that display of authority influence the jury? Is that the intent?

Seems like asymmetrical warfare.

As for his speaking "evenly and unemotionally" about his killing an unarmed man, is there no remorse? His attitude seems characteristic of a sociopath.

What neither side has been able to explain so far is how Denyakin ended up on the ground with his pants around his knees. Rankin testified that he didn’t recall Denyakin ever taking his hand out of his pants and did not recall seeing the man’s pants fall down.

Denyakin’s body was struck eight times by the bullets, ...

I would like an explanation of the disrobed pants. Also, where did the other three bullets go? And "a bullet hole in his boxer shorts" -- why did Rankin fire down there?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What is the specific difference, in terms of actions that a person actually takes?

TFred

Necessarily, none.

But intent cannot be ignored.

And who knows, maybe it makes all the difference between shooting Mrs. Cook six times, as opposed to only once. Hard to see what threat the subsequent five shots were stopping. But if your mindset is "shoot to kill", once you've gone into that territory you may not stop until killing has been accomplished.

I'd point out that, in Virginia, a person may be in a mutual altercation, and once they begin to retreat and demonstrate that intent, they regain the right to defend themselves against continued violence. So it's arguably illegal to shoot after the threat has stopped, for instance if the person attempts to flee.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How does someone like that NOVA person defend someone like this:

--Moderator deleted image--

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You claim how you do not want people like NovaCop10 or Raven commenting, yet you goad them with these childish antics even when they are not involved. Time to act our age?

Goad...Nightmare, not at all. They get on here because they are on safari. They want to stir up as much trouble as possible, then sit back and text each other. I'm not goading anyone, I'm simply making fun of them.

Maybe you should write one of your long drippy tirades explaining why they are the way they are and how I should appreciate the beneficial and dangerous job they have.

So let's see...according to Novacop, I'm one of the old mans club and according to you I'm childish. I guess it balances out.
Stay in NOVA Nightmare. You wouldn't like Virginia!

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
Maybe you should write one of your long drippy tirades explaining why they are the way they are and how I should appreciate the beneficial and dangerous job they have.

How about you break out of your narrow back woods mindset and go enforce the law and see how "not dangerous" it is. God forbid I have an opinion and write about it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How about you break out of your narrow back woods mindset and go enforce the law and see how "not dangerous" it is.

What a ridiculous suggestion.

A. I never asked you to "enforce" the law.

B. Current law enforcement training may make individual officers safer in certain circumstances, but it makes the job of "law enforcement" as a whole far more dangerous. That is to say, you might be "safer" if you manage to shoot someone who was going to shoot you first, but not as safe as if the guy didn't feel inclined to try to shoot you in the first place.

C. No.

D. Frankly, if you're doing something you shouldn't be doing, I don't really give a crap how dangerous you've made it to be. Get a different job, instead of demanding sympathy from me for doing something that nobody should ever do. I'm completely serious about that. Your job sucks. It hurts society. It puts you at risk. Quit it. We'd all be better off. Seriously. Go back to school. Learn a real skill. Become a productive member of society instead of a parasite.

Edit: To be clear, I am not saying all modes of law enforcement are parasitic. If the job were to focus on those few functions which are necessary, it may be contributory. Certainly necessary.

But, the ongoing conflation of the few legitimate and necessary functions of a constabulary with the illegitimate and unnecessary excesses of modern policing has got to stop.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How about you break out of your narrow back woods mindset and go enforce the law and see how "not dangerous" it is. God forbid I have an opinion and write about it.

As Marshaul said, Ridiculous suggestion, but than again, it's from a Ridiculous person!

Now why would I want to leave the back woods and go to a stinking, smog filled, foreigner populated place, full of traffic and people like you, so I could sit on my butt hours on end, looking snotty and pretending anyone cares?

Like I said, enjoy where you are, cause I sure don't want you here!

Marco

Now why would I want to leave the back woods and go to a stinking, smog filled, foreigner populated place, full of traffic and people like you, so I could sit on my butt hours on end, looking snotty and pretending anyone cares

It does smell better around here (except for the cows), the air is much cleaner inspite of no smog checks, there is plenty of elbow room (that isn't an invite), a traffic jam is a tractor or work crew cutting down trees or the occassional deer strike (which doesn't happen much, as they get shot around here) and the people are more neighborly, imho.

And, as local LE told me, "LE in these parts don't usually "F" w/folks for no good reason, there is too many places we could get lost permanently.".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And, as local LE told me, "LE in these parts don't usually "F" w/folks for no good reason, there is too many places we could get lost permanently.".

That's something he'll never understand M!
The Sheriff is a friend, borrows things and actually returns them. I shoot at the same range they do and get a lot of joy in beating the pants off of them (except for one who can really shoot)

They're neighbors, mind their own business have a sense of humor and get along with most people.

Trying to compare rural Leo's to the City Cops, especially the ones from NOVA, is like comparing a Great Dane and a Skunk.

Whenever someone talks about friendly NOVA, I'm reminded of a Mr. Bean movie where a fellow on a motorcycle flips him the bird when he waves. From there on, he thinks that's a City Howdy and gives everyone the finger...

:lol:

Marco

That's something he'll never understand M!
The Sheriff is a friend, borrows things and actually returns them. I shoot at the same range they do and get a lot of joy in beating the pants off of them (except for one who can really shoot)

They're neighbors, mind their own business have a sense of humor and get along with most people.

Trying to compare rural Leo's to the City Cops, especially the ones from NOVA, is like comparing a Great Dane and a Skunk.

Whenever someone talks about friendly NOVA, I'm reminded of a Mr. Bean movie where a fellow on a motorcycle flips him the bird when he waves. From there on, he thinks that's a City Howdy and gives everyone the finger...

:lol:

Yep, I stopped to help an older lady change her tire and the out going (retiring Chief) stopped and assisted.
The day I told LE they couldn't search my yard without a warrant the Chief informed all others that my land was off limits, no issues, no pressure.
The DGIF officer and Park rangers wave(ask if I'm hunting) when they drive by inspite of the fact I'm OC a handgun and long gun during BP and archery season.
Heck, I sold a gun to a C'ville detective as we stood across the street from a public school during school hrs.

How's the saying go "don't start no trouble, won't be no trouble.". regardless of your job title...

edit:
I like to add, I've had the pleasure to shoot against Louisa's CWA and newly elected Sen Reeves, neither is very good with handguns...imho
Could you imagine Saslaw/McEachin others.....showing up on a rural farm and shooting with 20-30 everyday folks.

Last edited: