Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ky Laws Before the General Assembly in 2012

Activist Member
    Drake, the constitution states.."The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." the state has every right to have total pre-emption of firearm laws. This is exactly why Miami-dade county decided to follow florida's new state pre-emption and not fight the issue. Check out sections 1,26,28,29 of the state constitution. This is a state matter, and would be before a state high court if challenged. The only thing that this could be challenged against at the federal lEvel would be the 2nd and 10th amendments, and both of those would be in our favor, so a challenge would not go beyond the state level I wouldn't think. Legislators have total control over these matters in Ky and there is nothing cities or counties can do about it. They choose to restrict our right granted to us in section 1 of Ky's constitution, so the legislators must intervene to make sure no constitutional right is infringed upon!

Ah i see.

Yes there is definitely a pattern there. I grew up in Jefferson and always thought id never want to live anywhere else. Then i moved to Bullit, became enlightened and realized i never want to live there again.

I got a new job a few months ago and have been insanely busy.
    HB 500 is a good bill and I'm happy that it is likely to pass. This should change the minds of cities like Bardstown, and for that we should all be happy. Gutshot, your assertion further solidifies my position that the only way to get through to these activist judges is to defy their judicial orders and fight the resulting 'contempt of court' charge. Unfortunately the judges that make these orders also often oversee the hearing on the contempt charges. Seems like one hell of a rock and a hard place.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

HB 500 has been passed by the house in a 88-8 vote. It now heads to the senate.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyCherokee View Post
    I got a new job a few months ago and have been insanely busy.
    HB 500 is a good bill and I'm happy that it is likely to pass. This should change the minds of cities like Bardstown, and for that we should all be happy. Gutshot, your assertion further solidifies my position that the only way to get through to these activist judges is to defy their judicial orders and fight the resulting 'contempt of court' charge. Unfortunately the judges that make these orders also often oversee the hearing on the contempt charges. Seems like one hell of a rock and a hard place.
    Yes, you are right and because of this, it is a bad strategy. Have patience and in time all of these things will be addressed. Help is on the way. One thing at a time. Who would have thought a year ago we would be this close to solving our preemption problems, today.

Today, HB 500 was received in the Senate. Things are moving quickly.

HB 500 in the Senate

HB 500 has been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. The next scheduled meeting of that committee is Thursday, March 22. This is the last scheduled meeting of that committee in this years session. We must get HB 500 a hearing on Thursday or it is probably finished for this year. I just sent an email message to each member of that committee. That message was, "I urge you to move HB 500 out of committee and onto the Senate floor with a favorable report". The members of that committee can be found here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/committee/standing/Jud(S)/members.htm

If you open that link and click on each name, that Senator's webpage will open and the email address will be listed. Just copy and paste my message into each form,
    it goes pretty quickly, or you can call 1-800-372-7181 tomorrow or Wednesday and leave that same message for all the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee with one call. This looks like a very pro gun committee to me but we can't take anything for granted. Here are the names.

I think we can count on Senators Jensen, Stine, Clark, Schickel and Seum, but I don't know much about the others. Anybody got any information on them? If I'm right we'd only need one more.

Activist Member
    Sent messages to all. We can count on Webb for a favorable vote as well so this should reach the senate floor for a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Sent messages to all. We can count on Webb for a favorable vote as well so this should reach the senate floor for a vote.
    I think you are right. She was a sponsor of SB161. I had forgotten about that.

HB 500 is on the Senate Judiciary Committee agenda for tomorrow! There are also 12 other bills on that agenda. That committee will meet in room 154 of the Capitol Annex at 10 a.m.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislative_calendar/index.aspx
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Quick on the draw as usual gutshot! I was just getting ready to post this.

Perry Clark is my Senator and during a phone call on Monday morning he assured me he would do what he could to get a hearing in the Judiciary committee for HB 500. Thanks to everyone for calling and emailing the committee members. I'm certain HB 500 will pass and go to the Senate floor.

Unfortunately HB 484 and HB 563 were not scheduled for a hearing but perhaps the Judiciary committee could meet again in the coming days. Time's running out in this session but at least we'll get one good gun-rights bill passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonbaler View Post
    Quick on the draw as usual gutshot! I was just getting ready to post this.

Perry Clark is my Senator and during a phone call on Monday morning he assured me he would do what he could to get a hearing in the Judiciary committee for HB 500. Thanks to everyone for calling and emailing the committee members. I'm certain HB 500 will pass and go to the Senate floor.

Unfortunately HB 484 and HB 563 were not scheduled for a hearing but perhaps the Judiciary committee could meet again in the coming days. Time's running out in this session but at least we'll get one good gun-rights bill passed.

There are no more scheduled meetings this session. Friday the full Senate convenes at 9 a.m., so there won't be much of an opportunity to have a meeting then. That leaves Mon. thru Wed. There is nothing scheduled, but it could happen. The problem is that even if a committee meeting could be arranged and one of those bill sent out. It then has to go to Rules (one day) to be put on the consent calender for passage the next day. So, in order to make it the last day, Wed. It would have to be out of committee Mon., then to Rules on Tues. and a floor vote on Wed. I don't think that will happen. I think that any bill that is not out of that committee by Thur. is dead for this year. I hope I am wrong.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

HB 500 passed out of the Senate Judiciary committee with a unanimous "YES" vote, today. Both LibertyForEver and I testfied before the committee. I don't think it was needed, they were all firmly behind the bill. Since it was a unanimous vote, it goes to the "consent calendar". This means that a floor vote is not necessary. All bills that come out of committee with unanimous consent go the "consent calendar". Once there, the next roll call vote, probably Monday for HB 500, is a "Yes" vote for all bills on that calendar. This saves them the wasted time of voting for a bill that has no opposition. Should any member express opposition to a bill during that roll call vote, it will then be taken down and sent to the Senate floor for debate and a vote. I stopped by my Senator's office after the committee meeting to thank him for all his help on this, he is not on that committee,. He said there was no opposition to the bill from anyone in the Senate and he thinks it will go straight to the Governor. It appears to be a done deal.

William Pitt

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    HB 500 passed out of the Senate Judiciary committee with a unanimous "YES" vote, today. Both LibertyForEver and I testfied before the committee. I don't think it was needed, they were all firmly behind the bill. Since it was a unanimous vote, it goes to the "consent calendar". This means that a floor vote is not necessary. All bills that come out of committee with unanimous consent go the "consent calendar". Once there, the next roll call vote, probably Monday for HB 500, is a "Yes" vote for all bills on that calendar. This saves them the wasted time of voting for a bill that has no opposition. Should any member express opposition to a bill during that roll call vote, it will then be taken down and sent to the Senate floor for debate and a vote. I stopped by my Senator's office after the committee meeting to thank him for all his help on this, he is not on that committee,. He said there was no opposition to the bill from anyone in the Senate and he thinks it will go straight to the Governor. It appears to be a done deal.
    Thats awesome! It feels so good to have legislation passed(almost there) that youve called in and have asked our reps to support.

I wish i could be as involved as some of you guys, but with work and all the day to day responsibility of raising two little ones by myself it makes it hard to do more than calling and pushing others to call. I look forward to more free time in the future that I can commit to furthering our liberties. It must be a real rush to be so closely involved!

Activist Member
    This is the best news us Ky gun carriers have received in awhile. Thanks to everyone that put in the hard work needed to get this bill passed.

Just updated the THREAD on the AR15.com KY Hometown subforum.

Great news! A unanimous vote and placement on the Consent Calendar is the absolute best outcome we could have. My thanks to everyone who contacted their legislators. To gutshot and LibertyForEver, I not only thank them for all their hard work on behalf of their fellow gunowners but also for teaching me more about the legislative process than I've known in the 12 years I've lived here in KY.

A well deserved victory. Now we start preparing for next year so stay tuned.
    Last edited by Cottonbaler; 03-22-2012 at 08:23 PM.

According to the Daily Legislative Calendar for Monday, the Senate Judiciary committee is meeting again at 2:30 PM with the agenda pending.
    Perhaps some hope yet for HB 484 and HB 563?
    Last edited by Cottonbaler; 03-23-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    This is the best news us Ky gun carriers have received in awhile. Thanks to everyone that put in the hard work needed to get this bill passed.
    Yes, it is. After the committee vote, I shook hands with Representative Damron and told him that I thought it was the best thing to happen for gun owners since 1996 when the CC bill passed. It may go farther back than that, since it affects all gun owners, OC, CC and long guns.

William Pitt

Samuel Adams

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonbaler View Post
    According to the Daily Legislative Calendar for Monday, the Senate Judiciary committee is meeting again at 2:30 PM with the agenda pending.
    Perhaps some hope yet for HB 484 and HB 563?
    I was looking at the NRA website, and they seem to think both of these bills will be heard monday. We need to get the emails out in support of these bills, and need to do it ASAP.

Monday, March 26, HB 500 was passed by the Ky. Senate on a vote of 34-2. The two "No" votes were Kathy Stein of Fayette Co. and Tim Shaughnessy of Jefferson Co. Now it goes to the Governor for signing. We have veto proof margins in both houses. This is a done deal.

HB 484 and 563 still have a chance.
    Last edited by gutshot; 03-26-2012 at 11:24 PM.

William Pitt

Samuel Adams

Great news!!

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

HB 484 and 563 still have a chance.
    Both HB 484 and 563 were sent to the Senate floor today, Tuesday 3/27. They just might sneak in.

William Pitt

Samuel Adams

NRA-ILA Alert: Two More NRA-Backed Bills Sent to the Governor

Following the passage of HB 500 last week, two more NRA-supported bills will now be sent to Governor Steve Beshear for his approval. HB 484, a concealed carry exemption bill, passed by a near unanimous 37 to 1 vote yesterday. The other bill sent to the Governor yesterday, HB 563, fraudulent firearms prevention legislation, was passed by a unanimous 38 to 0 vote. It is now up to Governor Beshear to sign these three important pro-Second Amendment bills into law.

HB 484, sponsored by state Representative Will Coursey (D-6), would expand the current concealed carry exemptions by allowing landowners and businessmen with a sole proprietorship to carry a handgun concealed without the necessity of a concealed carry permit.

HB 563, sponsored by state Representative Martha Jane King (D-16), would protect lawful firearm retailers from illegal gun sting operations such as those by anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Bloomberg has sent hired agents into other states to attempt illegal firearm purchases in an effort to blame federally licensed firearm retailers for gun crime in New York City and around the country.

HB 500, sponsored by state Representative Bob Damron (D-39), would strengthen the current firearms preemption statute by expanding it to other units of government and public agencies to help prevent attempts to circumvent current state firearms laws and prohibit cities and counties from passing ordinances that would be more restrictive than existing state laws. HB 500 mandates consistent statewide regulations pertaining to firearms and ammunition and prevents a rights-infringing patchwork of local ordinances.

Thank you to the thousands of NRA members who contacted both state Representatives and Senators in support of these bills.

Please contact Governor Beshear and respectfully request that he sign HB 484, HB 563 and HB 500 into law.
    You can reach Governor Beshear by telephone at (502) 564-2611 and by e-mail using this online form.
    Last edited by Cottonbaler; 03-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Activist Member
    The good news is we have veto proof margins on all three bills. Even if Beshear decides to leave his conservative ways, these bills still become law no matter what.

I would also like to point out how much success we have had this year. We need to really thank our legislators that support our RKBA, and inform the ones that don't to either join the MAJORITY or get removed. We are mainstream America folks, keep up the great work.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 03-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.

i just emailed the govenor, and asked him to sign those bills into law. i do believe he will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast