• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in your car

Pheone

Ok so i posted this on another forum as well. just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

I drive a jeep wrangler. And have been slowly easing myself into open carrying more and more each day. And the concern about my pistol in its holster in the tight quarters has me a little worried.

i have one of those kydex type retention holsters, with the button deal to release. But with such little space in my jeep im worried about #1 Dropping the safety and i shift and bounce around #2 hitting the button that allows my pistol to release #3 and of course, all of the above plus somehow hitting the trigger at the same time.

Theres not alot of room where my pistol rests, and i know all of this happening at once is a pretty long shot. but my jeep can get pretty bouncy, especially if im off road somewhere.

So my thought was to put another retention holster somewhere in the jeep that i can easily get at it. Someone suggested bolt on under the dash, which seems reasonable enough. once im in the jeep simply pull the pistol from the holster on my body and put it in the one mounted to the jeep. And vice versa everytime i get out.

Does anyone have experience doing anything like thing like this? or see any issues that may arise from moving my pistol several times a day? Especially in a vehicle that i pull the doors off of on a regular basis? (Thats why it would have to be a retention holster. so my gun didn't go flying out the door while im driving.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

O2HeN2

Every time you take your gun out of a holster is a chance for an ND. I recommend you don’t do that – you’re working around the problem rather than fixing it – find a holster that doesn’t have a button that something external can push. Check out the Safariland 6378 holsters, for example.

O2

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pilgrim!
Sounds to me like what you're describing is a serpa holster. I have one, and it holds the pistol securely in place for me. But then again, I ain't bounding about in a Jeep either.

Personally, I wear a holster that I feel is best suited for my planned activities.
I wear a blackhawk serpa holster when working fugitive recovery. That little button allows for an amazingly fast draw, which can make a huge difference when my life might be on the line. But it absolutely does not lend itself to concealed carry, so I'll use a different holster for that in most instances. For wearing a suit, I'll go to a shoulder holster. But in the car.... because I have a console on the right and my seat belt buckles on the right, I frequently opt for cross draw.

My favorite holster for cross draw has a retention strap that crosses just below the hammer and buttons down securely. If my intention were to go off roading without doors, I'd likely favor cross draw with that particular holster. I park that holster just forward of my left hip, so I can reach it quickly and easily with my right hand. It might be a reasonable solution for you. Also, that particular holster is among the cheapest ones I own. It was also among the first ones I ever bought.

Hope something above proves helpful.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wrightme

Ask this guy about this one:
I rolled through a DUI checkpoint, officers approached my car from both sides, the one on my side saw that I was still in my work uniform and the other one told him their was a firearm in the car, attached to the center console. The officer on the driver's side shined his light on it and directed me to a parking space near by and asked me to wait for him. Now I'm thinking, wtf, if they were going to hassle me, they certainly wouldn't give me the opportunity to get away; but I parked as instructed. The officer then made a radio call, and soon another officer relieved him. He walked over to my car on the passenger side, I rolled down my window and he apologized if he made me think I was being questioned, but he just had to know how I attached the holster to the console. We both smoked a cigarette and talked guns ( let him handle my firearm to see how the system worked) for a few minutes then thanked me for my time and went back to work.

dscf0104w.jpg

dscf0103b.jpg

PS. the firearm in this photo has been upgraded to a 1911.

Belt, or console, quick-change.

Pheone

I tried on my holster for cross draw, but i found it to be rather uncomfortable. I may have to try out a shoulder harness get up. any suggestions leather or fabric?

On the cross draw note. anyone get a flinch or bad reactions going for their wallet? ya know, if your gun and wallet are on the same time?

I really like picture idea, ill have to message him and see how he got the whole holster to come off of that little bracket thingy.

Keens

I have two lifted Jeeps and they have a harsh ride, so I understand. I carry my piece in a OWB holster with a retention strap on my hip and never have any issues. The only thing I have to do is adjust my pistol and move it a few inches forward on my belt to clear the seatbelt.

Gunslinger

Ok so i posted this on another forum as well. just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

I drive a jeep wrangler. And have been slowly easing myself into open carrying more and more each day. And the concern about my pistol in its holster in the tight quarters has me a little worried.

i have one of those kydex type retention holsters, with the button deal to release. But with such little space in my jeep im worried about #1 Dropping the safety and i shift and bounce around #2 hitting the button that allows my pistol to release #3 and of course, all of the above plus somehow hitting the trigger at the same time.

Theres not alot of room where my pistol rests, and i know all of this happening at once is a pretty long shot. but my jeep can get pretty bouncy, especially if im off road somewhere.

So my thought was to put another retention holster somewhere in the jeep that i can easily get at it. Someone suggested bolt on under the dash, which seems reasonable enough. once im in the jeep simply pull the pistol from the holster on my body and put it in the one mounted to the jeep. And vice versa everytime i get out.

Does anyone have experience doing anything like thing like this? or see any issues that may arise from moving my pistol several times a day? Especially in a vehicle that i pull the doors off of on a regular basis? (Thats why it would have to be a retention holster. so my gun didn't go flying out the door while im driving.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
What kind of pistol are you talking about?

JamesB

Just found this that says "gun holsters unlimited."

Attachments

• 431115_388590557833259_162819587077025_1500539_928206867_n.jpg
    431115_388590557833259_162819587077025_1500539_928206867_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 272

Gunslinger

I often just stick a 1911 or Hi-Power in an Uncle Mikes with thumb strap and put it between the seat and console. Works fine in either my Corvette or Jeep. If you have too much room between them to do this, the link above is a good source.

RFrampton

I tried on my holster for cross draw, but i found it to be rather uncomfortable. I may have to try out a shoulder harness get up. any suggestions leather or fabric?

On the cross draw note. anyone get a flinch or bad reactions going for their wallet? ya know, if your gun and wallet are on the same time?

I really like picture idea, ill have to message him and see how he got the whole holster to come off of that little bracket thingy.

We bought a bunch of those brackets/mounts before we deployed. Cost about $20.00 and they are made by Blackhawk. Locally, Patriot Outfitters has them. Either on Carson in the PX or their store on 115. The holster rotates forward and pops off.

Last edited:

Pheone

I appreciate the offer RF. But i decided to hard mount a second holster. Doesn't get in the way at all. nice smooth draw without hitting anything, pops right into my hip holster on my way out the door. And most importantly, its not going anywhere.

Attachments

• 2012-03-06 19.30.16.jpg
    2012-03-06 19.30.16.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 462

JamesB

I appreciate the offer RF. But i decided to hard mount a second holster. Doesn't get in the way at all. nice smooth draw without hitting anything, pops right into my hip holster on my way out the door. And most importantly, its not going anywhere.

I think if it was me, I would not keep it with the hammer back. Too many transfers and too much viberation for my liking.
Only an oppinion.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think if it was me, I would not keep it with the hammer back. Too many transfers and too much viberation for my liking.
Only an oppinion.

Safety's on, but I agree with your opinion. I prefer a 6 lb trigger pull as a safety as opposed to having to both thumb off a safety and pull the trigger. Besides, my CZ has a trigger-actuated firing pin interlock, so that's my automated backup safety. :)

That and since I'm an OC ambassador, I'd prefer to minimize crowd fright.

Pheone

"I think if it was me, I would not keep it with the hammer back. Too many transfers and too much viberation for my liking.
Only an oppinion. "

"Safety's on, but I agree with your opinion. I prefer a 6 lb trigger pull as a safety as opposed to having to both thumb off a safety and pull the trigger. Besides, my CZ has a trigger-actuated firing pin interlock, so that's my automated backup safety. "

If it was a double action i could see that being a nice added measure of security. but one handed off a draw i can't pull back the hammer and still be worth anything.

Seems a little safer to me to leave the safety on, trust in the grip safety and the holster to keep an accidental discharge from happening. At least safer than me dropping the hammer and knowing i have to cock it prior to shooting.

Kinda the downside to the 1911's. Would be kind nice to have a double action though.

ZackL

Pheone, they do make a device for the 1911 and the hi-power that allows you to push the hammer down once you have a round chambered and the safety on. This device automatically re-cocks the hammer once you disengage the safety. Because the safety is still on it doesn't change bringing the weapon into operation as you still have to sweep the safety off before you can fire the weapon. I know they can be found on gunbroker, but I'm not sure of what the name is, I only briefly considered them when I had a 1911 and then I decided that it would be best to just not mess with it. However, I did handle a hi-power that had this system in it, and I must say that if you're concerned about how others may react it is a pretty good idea. Just something to think about if you don't want to switch to a DA or striker fired pistol and still want to make people feel more at ease.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pheone, they do make a device for the 1911 and the hi-power that allows you to push the hammer down once you have a round chambered and the safety on. This device automatically re-cocks the hammer once you disengage the safety. Because the safety is still on it doesn't change bringing the weapon into operation as you still have to sweep the safety off before you can fire the weapon. I know they can be found on gunbroker, but I'm not sure of what the name is, I only briefly considered them when I had a 1911 and then I decided that it would be best to just not mess with it. However, I did handle a hi-power that had this system in it, and I must say that if you're concerned about how others may react it is a pretty good idea. Just something to think about if you don't want to switch to a DA or striker fired pistol and still want to make people feel more at ease.

Have never seen nor heard of such a retro fit part(s) for a 1911 or for that matter a Hi-Power. Searched and found nothing. Would be interested in seeing a link/cite.

Series 80 style 1911s, like the Colt Defender, have a firing pin block. Series 70 style do not.

Some others don't have a block, but utilize a heavy firing pin spring and/or a titanium firing pin to prevent an AD if the pistol is dropped - Ruger SR1911 is one example.

Some Kimbers have the Schwartz system, which makes them essentially "drop proof."

Even the economical Taurus PT1911 has a trigger actuated "California spec" firing pin drop safety

There are lots of options available - check with your dealer, gunsmith or the manufacturer.