• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bills signed by the Governor

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We'll want to keep an eye on this list over the next few days and weeks:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+lst+APP

Only one "gun bill" on there so far, the OGAM repeal.

TFred

This is the time of the year that proves it's easier to kill a bill than push one through.
I'm getting invitations to the wrap up parties for next week. It's a chance to discuss what didn't get accomplished.:lol:

TFred

Sure looks they can still ban in emergency shelters to my eyes....

Roscoe
Of course they can:

"except to the extent necessary to ensure public safety in any place or facility designated or used by the Governor, any political subdivision of the Commonwealth, or any other governmental entity as an emergency shelter or for the purpose of sheltering persons;"

With that in there, they might as well have written in the title, "This sham of a bill is just to make you gun nuts feel good."

TFred

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Of course they can:

"except to the extent necessary to ensure public safety in any place or facility designated or used by the Governor, any political subdivision of the Commonwealth, or any other governmental entity as an emergency shelter or for the purpose of sheltering persons;"

With that in there, they might as well have written in the title, "This sham of a bill is just to make you gun nuts feel good."

TFred

It's potentially even worse than that. Looks like ANY GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY could arbitrarily declare YOUR HOUSE as an emergency shelter, and then prohibit you from carrying there.... :banghead::banghead:

Roscoe

TFred

I can't for the life of me figure out how you guys are arriving at this conclusion.
Didn't you see my post quoting the relevant part of the bill?

All the Governor, or any state official has to do is say, "We feel that allowing guns in this shelter would be a threat to public safety."

That's all it will take.

TFred

Last edited:

wylde007

Didn't you see my post quoting the relevant part of the bill?
No.
All the Governor, or any state official has to do is say, "We feel that allowing guns in this shelter would be a threat to public safety."
"except to the extent necessary to ensure public safety"

The public safety is not any more in danger during a time of emergency than it is at any other time from law abiding citizens.

I understand the concern, I suppose. But I do not share it.

mk4

i understand what tf and roscoe are concerned about.
the language seems to give discretion, without very specific definitions, to the governor *and* other governmental agencies, to decide what constitutes the emergency, the threat to public safety or the facility/building designated as a shelter.

yielding carte blanche power to government actors should always give 'we the people' strong cause to pause and reflect.

kenny

The conversation as been going on for many years. Guns will never be allowed in emergency shelters in the Commonwealth. In Virginia the Red Cross in contracted to run and pay for the shelters.. They can be anywhere, but they are run by Red Cross rules. Same rules say "No Guns". That is why you must learn to shelter in place if you can.

TFred

The public safety is not any more in danger during a time of emergency than it is at any other time from law abiding citizens.

I understand the concern, I suppose. But I do not share it.
:)

If the Governor or any other listed person says, "The public safety is in danger, so no guns!"

And you say, "I don't agree with you, I'm bringing in my gun anyway!"

How do you think that is going to play out for you?

TFred

TFred

Of course, in Hampton Roads there aren't many designated emergency shelters which are not also public schools, so carry in them would be verboten anyway.
Another point that makes the law virtually useless, sad to say. This law should have included a provision to override the school prohibition, since I think it's fairly obvious that any time a school is required to be used as an emergency shelter, it won't be in use as a school.

What logical reason would there be to oppose such a provision?

TFred

Last edited: