• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inexpensive, but decent .22 lr or 22 mag for pest/vermin control?

j4l

And maybe some occasional plinking. Got a lot of possum, raccoon, etc around. Dog got hold of the raccoon last night, and got bit once or twice before I could pull them apart. Otherwise not inclined to pop them, but if I have to, I think .45 auto and 12 gauge are a bit overkill for blasting pests in the middle of the night.
So half kicking the idea of a little .22 or .22 mag to have around for these sorts of tasks. May go with a 10-22, also just to have. Always wanted one.. But for a revolver or pistol?
Any suggestions? Not crazy about spending as much for a little .22 as I did for my .45, If I can avoid it. Saw some in Gander today going for upwards of $500-600 :rolleyes:

cbpeck

There are a lot of quality .22 pistols on the market today. I'm especially fond of the Browning Buckmark, but Ruger makes a nice rimfire too. Unfortunately, neither is inexpensive. Walther & Sig Sauer make models, but I've never been very impressed with them.

You might take a good long look at the Beretta Neos. It is a quality pistol that sells new for $225-275, depending on the configuration. If you can get over its space age looks then you might have a real winner.

I should add that I have shot examples of all of these pistols within the past few years. If I was buying one today, it'd be the Neos.

j4l

PMR-30 MSRP isn't bad. If you can actually find one at MSRP.

Been looking for a PMR, actually, but have yet to even see one in a store..

Ill have a look at the Neos, havent seen one 1st-hand as yet.

j4l

Neos looks interesting, actually.. Esp. the carbine/stock kit for them.. could maybe kill 2 birds, 1 stone- have a handly lil .22 pistol, and when desired, switch it over to a shoulder-gun.. same mags. everything else.. tempting..

Also, saw a used Marlin 336 in .30-30 with scope- they were asking $299 for it, and seemed to be in decent shape.. tempting, also. Just to have, really. I know Marlins are decent quality- how's the .30-30 round, though.

09jisaac

Also, saw a used Marlin 336 in .30-30 with scope- they were asking $299 for it, and seemed to be in decent shape.. tempting, also. Just to have, really. I know Marlins are decent quality- how's the .30-30 round, though.

The .30-.30 has probably taken more deer in the USA than any other caliber. It seems that the .270 win is getting more popular than the .30-.30 though. I have only fired one gun shooting it and wasn't too impressed with the complete accuracy but it might have good usable accuracy.

1245A Defender

well,,,

PMR-30 MSRP isn't bad. If you can actually find one at MSRP.

If I ever see one, I will buy it on the spot.

N​
EW PMR-30 22MAG
F​
IBER
O​
PTIC
F​
RONT
S​
IGHT
2-30​
RD MAGS
T​
ACTICAL ACCESSORY RAIL
U​
NIQUE HYBRID BLOWBACK
L​
OCKED-BREECH SYSTEM
A​
MBIDEXTROUS THUMB SAFETY
4140 S​
TEEL SLIDE & BARREL
L​
IGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM FRAME
Z​
YTEL GRIP, SLIDE & TRIGGER COVERS
4.3”F​
LUTED
B​
ARREL
30​
RD
M​
AGS

CDNN sports 299.99

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
N​
EW PMR-30 22MAG
F​
IBER
O​
PTIC
F​
RONT
S​
IGHT
2-30​
RD MAGS
T​
ACTICAL ACCESSORY RAIL
U​
NIQUE HYBRID BLOWBACK
L​
OCKED-BREECH SYSTEM
A​
MBIDEXTROUS THUMB SAFETY
4140 S​
TEEL SLIDE & BARREL
L​
IGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM FRAME
Z​
YTEL GRIP, SLIDE & TRIGGER COVERS
4.3”F​
LUTED
B​
ARREL
30​
RD
M​
AGS

CDNN sports 299.99

Eh?

cbpeck

Several post, including my initial response, all favor the Buck Mark. It really is a sweet shooting little .22. I recommended the Neos because its price is so much lower. I forgot to mention the carbine stock option, but you're right, they do have one of those.

In addition to the Buck Mark pistols, Browning also makes Buck Mark rifles, which seem to utilize the same action, but are fitted with longer barrels & shoulder stocks. That said, the Ruger 10/22 costs less and is a more flexible platform.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Seriously, how about a Taurus Judge.... .45 LC and 410 Shotgun (various loads)... Dual purpose and 410 would work good at close range...

I know, I know.... Flame suit on...

Outdoorsman1

FMJ 911

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I know Ruger .22 Pistols are a pretty good deal, and there's that .22 Ammo from Aguilla that acts sorta like a .22 Magnum.

I have a Ruger Mark I from 1958, and it still works okay.

j4l

Seriously, how about a Taurus Judge.... .45 LC and 410 Shotgun (various loads)... Dual purpose and 410 would work good at close range...

I know, I know.... Flame suit on...

Outdoorsman1

Actually I do intend to get one, one of these days. Torn though, between the portability of the handgun, or long-gun versions. Different tools, different tasks, I'd intend those primarily for dispatching my Rattlesnakes and Cottonmouths. .410 does rather well at that.