Thread: WZZM 13 News Video - Open carry in schools, banks, and sports arenas on the rise!

Moderator / Administrator

WZZM 13 News Video - Open carry in schools, banks, and sports arenas on the rise!

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...uns-in-schools

SNIP

Sgt. Aimee Maikee with the Michigan State Police says someone with a valid concealed weapons license can carry a visible, holstered gun into schools, daycare centers, banks, churches, bars and sports arenas.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

+1

Thanks for posting Mike.

Sad that even though this person broke no laws the people at the school/voting poll apparently want him charged with a crime anyways
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Thank you for posting this squared-away report, Mike.

Passed it onward to my pastor, county Sheriff and some neighbors.

Sgt. Aimee Meike was clear and concise: she explained the matter well.

Take care now.

Respectfully,
    Billy

-Combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare
    "Salvation is of the LORD." -Jonah ii. 9c [AV]

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and
    believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall
    not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

---Jesus Christ the LORD, sent by the Father to effectually & fully SAVE poor,
    needy, wretched sinners by His own sovereign free grace and by His perfect
    righteousness charged to our accounts! (John v. 24, KJV)

I carry all the time on private property without getting the owners permission. In fact, I don't think I've ever asked permission to carry anywhere. I think they botched that part up a bit. Otherwise, nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    I carry all the time on private property without getting the owners permission. In fact, I don't think I've ever asked permission to carry anywhere. I think they botched that part up a bit. Otherwise, nice story.
    Had this email conversation recently:

Mr. Hofmeister,

This is not a correct summary of my position. As you are aware, Michigan law does not require that an individual obtain permission from a private property owner prior to carrying a firearm onto private property. I advised the reporter that a private property owner possesses the right to prohibit or restrict firearms on the premises.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Aimee Maike
    Michigan State Police
    Office of the Director
    Legal Resource and Education Unit
    333 South Grand Avenue
    P.O. Box 30634
    Lansing, Michigan 48909

>>> Phillip Hofmeister 3/1/2012 12:50 PM >>>
    Sergent Maike:

I was wondering if you were misquoted in this article (your name was
    certainly mis-spelled).

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...pnews|bc|large

Sgt. Maikee says no one is allowed to carry weapons into the sterile part
    > of a commercial airport, into a courthouse, *or onto private property
    > without the owner's approval. *
    >

It's the bold part that puzzles me. Is this summary a correct statement of
    your position?

Are you suggesting that before I go into Meijer's I have to ask the manager
    if I can carry there?

I know the media often gets confused on what someone is saying so I thought
    I'd check with you...

--
    *Phillip Hofmeister*
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Well, you misspelled Sergent Maike as well. It's Sergeant Maike.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Banned
    I sent the following email to Louis Feurino, the attorney from Waterford Police Department who met with Venator, I, Jim Beaver the Director of security and risk management, the Principal from Waterford Village, and Mr Hemmelspack, the security director at the village.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2...uns-in-schools

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sure you remember Brian and I attempting to explain this to you and the Waterford School District. I would appreciate it very much if you would go to the school and verify that the laws are read as we presented them.

Thank you, Neil Carpenter.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-17-2012 at 01:22 PM.

I thought that was a great report.

Thank you for pointing out the private property issue, I did not even think about it when listening.

Q, Thank you very much for posting that email conversation, if only the reporter would have gotten it right in the report on tv. Maybe we could set them strait and have them post this on there website with the story?

holstered gun into schools
    Breaking the big federal gun free zone? how is this possible state overrules federal?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Breaking the big federal gun free zone? how is this possible state overrules federal?
    Are you asking that, if we oc at a school, how we get around the Federal Gun Free Zone law?

Assuming you are,... MI law is not "overruling" federal law. Rather, the MI CPL/LTP would be considered a license to possess a firearm
    see: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

Additionally, although Michigan also prohibits possession of a firearm on school property, an exception is made for CPL holders. see MCL 750.237a
    see http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-237a

And finally, Michigan prohibits CONCEALED carry in a school; one may, however, carry an exposed pistol.
    see MCL 28.425o found here: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fgt...cl-28-425o.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Simple. You don't understand the federal law.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

True, albeit not useful. The good Dr.'s explanation of why was better as it actually offers clarification... just saying.