• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WZZM 13 News Video - Open carry in schools, banks, and sports arenas on the rise!

Billy

Thank you for posting this squared-away report, Mike.

Passed it onward to my pastor, county Sheriff and some neighbors.

Sgt. Aimee Meike was clear and concise: she explained the matter well.

Take care now.

Respectfully,
Billy

-Combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare

kubel

I carry all the time on private property without getting the owners permission. In fact, I don't think I've ever asked permission to carry anywhere. I think they botched that part up a bit. Otherwise, nice story.

TheQ

I carry all the time on private property without getting the owners permission. In fact, I don't think I've ever asked permission to carry anywhere. I think they botched that part up a bit. Otherwise, nice story.

Had this email conversation recently:

Mr. Hofmeister,

This is not a correct summary of my position. As you are aware, Michigan law does not require that an individual obtain permission from a private property owner prior to carrying a firearm onto private property. I advised the reporter that a private property owner possesses the right to prohibit or restrict firearms on the premises.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Aimee Maike
Michigan State Police
Office of the Director
Legal Resource and Education Unit
333 South Grand Avenue
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, Michigan 48909

>>> Phillip Hofmeister 3/1/2012 12:50 PM >>>
Sergent Maike:

I was wondering if you were misquoted in this article (your name was
certainly mis-spelled).

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/...-guns-in-schools?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|large

Sgt. Maikee says no one is allowed to carry weapons into the sterile part
> of a commercial airport, into a courthouse, *or onto private property
> without the owner's approval. *
>

It's the bold part that puzzles me. Is this summary a correct statement of
your position?

Are you suggesting that before I go into Meijer's I have to ask the manager
if I can carry there?

I know the media often gets confused on what someone is saying so I thought
I'd check with you...

--
*Phillip Hofmeister*

stainless1911

Banned
I sent the following email to Louis Feurino, the attorney from Waterford Police Department who met with Venator, I, Jim Beaver the Director of security and risk management, the Principal from Waterford Village, and Mr Hemmelspack, the security director at the village.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/201892/14/MSP-Law-allows-some-to-carry-guns-in-schools

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sure you remember Brian and I attempting to explain this to you and the Waterford School District. I would appreciate it very much if you would go to the school and verify that the laws are read as we presented them.

Thank you, Neil Carpenter.

Last edited:

bmward64

I thought that was a great report.

Thank you for pointing out the private property issue, I did not even think about it when listening.

Q, Thank you very much for posting that email conversation, if only the reporter would have gotten it right in the report on tv. Maybe we could set them strait and have them post this on there website with the story?

rushalot1

Thank you for posting this report. I hope that the people in the state of Michigan start to realize that carrying a gun is legal, and they stop complaining for us to be charged for their insecurity.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Breaking the big federal gun free zone? how is this possible state overrules federal?

Are you asking that, if we oc at a school, how we get around the Federal Gun Free Zone law?

Assuming you are,... MI law is not "overruling" federal law. Rather, the MI CPL/LTP would be considered a license to possess a firearm
see: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

Additionally, although Michigan also prohibits possession of a firearm on school property, an exception is made for CPL holders. see MCL 750.237a
see http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-237a

And finally, Michigan prohibits CONCEALED carry in a school; one may, however, carry an exposed pistol.
see MCL 28.425o found here: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fgtwtkajlwxrvorwa1s05hvt))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-28-425o.pdf