• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Centennial Gun Store

ColoradoFlyer

Has anyone been in this new store located in Centennial just north of the airport at Arapahoe and Peoria. I work only a few miles away and am at the airport all the time so I guess I need to go in and say hello and find out about their 6 lane range. The has been in the works for some time and they are now open and just curious if any of my fellow OC'ers have been in. Thanks.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
I didn't even know there was a new gun store anywhere in the vicinity. I'll make a point of dropping by for a visit in the next few days.

Then again, I haven't been to quite a number of gun stores that have been around quite awhile. Guess I need to get busy with that!

Blessings,,
M-Taliesin

Keens

I did not know about it either. Thanks for letting us know! I will have to stop in and say hello and do some shopping.

alang

I think you're talking about Centennial Gun Club. They have been working at getting the place built for quite a while and finally got it opened. It looks like a real neat place from what I've read about it and the pictures I've seen, but the membership for the range seems a little high to me, but then again there aren't many places that you can fire rifles (other than a .22) indoors around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoFlyer

I checked it out. Yes they have been working on getting this place open for some time. Nice friendly staff. They have every Glock model in stock and lots of Springfield stuff and a fair representation of other handguns. Huge selection of AR's, I don't think I have seen that many lined up. Small selection of ammo at the present time and large selection of clothing. I did not look closely at prices but they seemed in line for a retail operation. The store in Castle Rock offers better pricing if you are looking for some nice folks to deal with as mentioned by Zach.

As far as the ranges go, they have 2 66 ft rifle lanes and 4 lanes that are for handguns. I don't recall the exact distance, I believe she said up to 40 feet. Moveable targets. Calibers up to .50 , no blackpowder stuff. They prefer reservations for the range and Members take precedence over others. Yes, they are trying to sell the memberships for $173 initiation fee and $30 monthly. For non-members lanes are $18 per hour, per person. So if you want 2 of you to share a lane, you might as well each get your own lane. They are hoping to open another 20 lanes in a building next door latter this summer.

There was a waiting list for a lane on Sunday during my visit, but they probably have better choices earlier in the morning during the week.

Happy Shooting.

CO-Joe

This store has a pretty face, but is pretty dirty underneath. While their customer service is good, they are misleading. They tried to sell me a gun for $50 OVER MSRP.And, when I had a gun shipped here, they promised same day turnaround. Today they told me it might be a week. Good thing I paid extra for overnight shipping I guess. Anyway - a full review of the centennial gun store from somebody that has actually been there: http://centennial-gun-store.com

Jeremy, businesses are in it to make money. As someone who is a businessman himself, who is facing closing his own shop (which isn't gun related), I think you're in need of a reality check. Unless you've run a business, you quite frankly have no idea how much of a burden the overhead of running a business is, especially in the economy we're in. It's killer. It's enough to keep you up at night, it's enough to make you go prematurely bald, to scare your wife into the arms of another man, and to give your dog chronic asthma. If I could write songs, I'd have a doosie of a blues song, and so would most other would-be entrepreneurs.

Let me clue you in:

1) Uncle Sam is gets his cut before anyone else gets paid. City / County / State tax. Right off the top, and if it's like my county, as an owner of commercial real estate, you get taxed at a higher rate than a homeowner of similar square footage. Democracy has determined that I should pay more tax on my building than you do your house. Makes me think about that maxim about two wolves and a lamb.

2) Relatively fixed costs such as phone and internet lines, heating, water, sewer. Businesses are nickel and dimed for this necessary stuff, again, they probably pay more for the privilege than you do for equivalent services rendered. That beautiful new store they have? Maybe they're paying off a huge loan for the remodel.

3) Insurance. Frankly, I have no idea how expensive gun shop insurance is, but anything gun related is expensive. They have a shooting range, yes? That's a huge freaking liability. Their stock is also a huge freaking liability, people will run a truck through the side of a gun store to get to the goods. If it's icy out and a customer falls over and breaks a hip, the store might be liable, and they might get sued. Insurance has to cover this kind of stuff.

4) All of those nice and helpful employees need to be paid, hopefully at a living wage. Employees are the biggest single expense a business can deal with. Businesses have to pay taxes and fees related to employing people, social security taxes, medicare, state taxes, unemployment insurance, disability insurance, maybe the business also gives some insurance benefits to their employees. If you go in and employee spends all sorts of time helping you out as a completely uneducated newbie to the world of firearms, and that person doesn't make the sale, you've cost that store money because that salesperson was busy helping you out, almost certianly to the exclusion of other customers. In addition, a customer who then turns around and use this education to buy from someone else in another state who may have the advantage of not having to maintain a pretty storefront or helpful employees is about the worst kind of customer.

5) Most anything firearm related is notoriously low profit. Some manufacturers have a minimum advertised price (MAP) policy to protect their stocking dealers from dealers who don't have the overhead of running a big retail shop. Many big retail chains won't touch a product unless it will net them 30-100% of their investment in return. I've seen the dealer prices for many guns, and as a dealer if you price at MAP, you're making at best 15-20% in most cases, at worst, less than 10%. Ammo, likewise. Due to Walmart's low low prices and competitive advantage, they may not even be making significant money on ammo.

6) They try to make up for all of the above by trying to sell you on things like holsters, slings, cases, cleaning supplies, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if a soft-sided rifle case made a store more money than the rifle it houses. Nor would I be surprised if I learned the entire store grossed 1-3% on their huge investment.

I don't know what the deal is with their arrangement on FFL transfer, and I wholeheartedly agree the wait does sound unreasonable. As far as the prices, they're not holding you hostage over them, they're certianly aren't raping you. So you don't like it, vote with your dollars. Personally, I like to support helpful gun stores, even if the prices are higher. It's worth it to keep them around and happy. I've been to too many who are jerks from the moment I walk in the door.

Last edited:

mobiushky

First, I have not purchased a gun from them. I have been there way too many times to count, but only to shoot. My wife goes every other Tues to the ladies night. Honestly, that's the main reason I like them. The ladies night is great and free. Even a little free instruction. My wife has really enjoyed it.

For prices, I think they are a little over priced compared to other shops. So I generally don't buy a lot. Accessories and small things to show that I appreciate what they do for ladies. The people are really nice there. All I can say is one bad experience does not define the norm. Not saying you are lying Jeremy. Just saying that one experience may have been a fluke. Then again, it may be the norm. I can't say.

Amb

I wanted to buy a .45 this week. I went to one local store, where they had just one .45 in stock. It was a nice one, but a tad over my price range. I went to the centennial gun store, and they had a cornucopia of models. There were several 1911s, from under $1,000 to over $3,000, and other models from various manufacturers (Glock, Sig, Springfield,…).

Within seconds of walking up to the counter to ogle the merchandise, I was approached by a staff member, who seemed quite knowledgeable, and was very eager to take out and let me handle any gun I wanted.

I don't know if I "overpaid" in comparison to some website somewhere. I do appreciate, and don't mind paying a bit extra, for the opportunity to compare a large number of different makes and models, with friendly service to boot. Guns are expensive, not just for me to buy, but also for the store to keep in stock. They must easily have hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in stock.

mobiushky

I wanted to buy a .45 this week. I went to one local store, where they had just one .45 in stock. It was a nice one, but a tad over my price range. I went to the centennial gun store, and they had a cornucopia of models. There were several 1911s, from under $1,000 to over $3,000, and other models from various manufacturers (Glock, Sig, Springfield,…).

Within seconds of walking up to the counter to ogle the merchandise, I was approached by a staff member, who seemed quite knowledgeable, and was very eager to take out and let me handle any gun I wanted.

I don't know if I "overpaid" in comparison to some website somewhere. I do appreciate, and don't mind paying a bit extra, for the opportunity to compare a large number of different makes and models, with friendly service to boot. Guns are expensive, not just for me to buy, but also for the store to keep in stock. They must easily have hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in stock.

A quick way to tell if you overpaid is to look up what you got on the web. Find it at galleryofguns, or budsgunshop, or cheaperthandirt, etc, etc. Add the shipping and FFL fees of your favorite place and compare that to what you paid. I usually don't sweat $10-20 difference. I'll pay the extra to have it now instead of next week. $75-100 difference? I can wait that out.

Beau

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jeremyvotaw

This store has a pretty face, but is pretty dirty underneath. While their customer service is good, they are misleading. They tried to sell me a gun for $50 OVER MSRP.And, when I had a gun shipped here, they promised same day turnaround. Today they told me it might be a week. Good thing I paid extra for overnight shipping I guess. Anyway - a full review of the centennial gun store from somebody that has actually been there: http://centennial-gun-store.com

Why delete your post? Once it's quoted it's there. Besides. If you're going to make a statement stand behind it or correct it. Deleting is like being a child who takes his ball home because his friends won't play the game he wants to play.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
RE: deleting posts.

A post is one's intellectual property so of course they are free to do with it whatever they want, even "withdraw" it by deleting.

"Being a child" is a superficial explanation for someone deleting a post -- there are other very good reasons for deleting posts, but that's another topic (and not gun-related so it's OT anyway and not appropriate for discussion here).

Still, you might want to consider that.

Last edited:

jeremyvotaw

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jeremyvotaw

Why delete your post? Once it's quoted it's there. Besides. If you're going to make a statement stand behind it or correct it. Deleting is like being a child who takes his ball home because his friends won't play the game he wants to play.

I deleted it because I had a chance to talk with the ownership at the store, and they made things right. Nice though to immediately call somebody childish without knowing the reasons. You're a classy guy.

jeremyvotaw

Jeremy, businesses are in it to make money. As someone who is a businessman himself, who is facing closing his own shop (which isn't gun related), I think you're in need of a reality check. Unless you've run a business, you quite frankly have no idea how much of a burden the overhead of running a business is, especially in the economy we're in. It's killer. It's enough to keep you up at night, it's enough to make you go prematurely bald, to scare your wife into the arms of another man, and to give your dog chronic asthma. If I could write songs, I'd have a doosie of a blues song, and so would most other would-be entrepreneurs.

Let me clue you in:

1) Uncle Sam is gets his cut before anyone else gets paid. City / County / State tax. Right off the top, and if it's like my county, as an owner of commercial real estate, you get taxed at a higher rate than a homeowner of similar square footage. Democracy has determined that I should pay more tax on my building than you do your house. Makes me think about that maxim about two wolves and a lamb.

2) Relatively fixed costs such as phone and internet lines, heating, water, sewer. Businesses are nickel and dimed for this necessary stuff, again, they probably pay more for the privilege than you do for equivalent services rendered. That beautiful new store they have? Maybe they're paying off a huge loan for the remodel.

3) Insurance. Frankly, I have no idea how expensive gun shop insurance is, but anything gun related is expensive. They have a shooting range, yes? That's a huge freaking liability. Their stock is also a huge freaking liability, people will run a truck through the side of a gun store to get to the goods. If it's icy out and a customer falls over and breaks a hip, the store might be liable, and they might get sued. Insurance has to cover this kind of stuff.

4) All of those nice and helpful employees need to be paid, hopefully at a living wage. Employees are the biggest single expense a business can deal with. Businesses have to pay taxes and fees related to employing people, social security taxes, medicare, state taxes, unemployment insurance, disability insurance, maybe the business also gives some insurance benefits to their employees. If you go in and employee spends all sorts of time helping you out as a completely uneducated newbie to the world of firearms, and that person doesn't make the sale, you've cost that store money because that salesperson was busy helping you out, almost certianly to the exclusion of other customers. In addition, a customer who then turns around and use this education to buy from someone else in another state who may have the advantage of not having to maintain a pretty storefront or helpful employees is about the worst kind of customer.

5) Most anything firearm related is notoriously low profit. Some manufacturers have a minimum advertised price (MAP) policy to protect their stocking dealers from dealers who don't have the overhead of running a big retail shop. Many big retail chains won't touch a product unless it will net them 30-100% of their investment in return. I've seen the dealer prices for many guns, and as a dealer if you price at MAP, you're making at best 15-20% in most cases, at worst, less than 10%. Ammo, likewise. Due to Walmart's low low prices and competitive advantage, they may not even be making significant money on ammo.

6) They try to make up for all of the above by trying to sell you on things like holsters, slings, cases, cleaning supplies, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if a soft-sided rifle case made a store more money than the rifle it houses. Nor would I be surprised if I learned the entire store grossed 1-3% on their huge investment.

I don't know what the deal is with their arrangement on FFL transfer, and I wholeheartedly agree the wait does sound unreasonable. As far as the prices, they're not holding you hostage over them, they're certianly aren't raping you. So you don't like it, vote with your dollars. Personally, I like to support helpful gun stores, even if the prices are higher. It's worth it to keep them around and happy. I've been to too many who are jerks from the moment I walk in the door.

I do a run a business, and employee 22 people. We've grown each year even during the recession by being fair in our pricing, treating people right, listening to our customers, and delivering on what we promise. Apparently, it's not me that doesn't understand business. Sorry to hear you weren't able to be successful.

Beau

I deleted it because I had a chance to talk with the ownership at the store, and they made things right. Nice though to immediately call somebody childish without knowing the reasons. You're a classy guy.

Well then you should have said so. You posted your rant and then the next person replies with something that didn't seem to agree with your take on it and then you delete your post. It really did seem like you deleted it because people didn't agree with you. Since that wasn't the case I apologize.