• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun show at el-hasa in Boyd county??

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I heard someone saying at the gun store that there is a gunshow at el-hasa today and Tom. Anybody know if this is true and if so when it starts today?

neuroblades

Be aware Glockster that there are rarely any gun dealers at the Ashlamd show, maybe 1 at best and I think they're associated with Border's (not a bad thing, mind you). They generally have C&R weapons, old WWII stuff, and optics dealer (not sure of their quality but at the prices they ask, they should be top-rate! And last and definitely least, TONS OF KNIVES! :( This show charges $7, the last one I attended, as compared to Lexington's shows which charge $10 but have many dealers of both weapons and accessories. If Ashland's were only $5 to attend I'd definitely give it a thumbs up but at $7; if you have nothing better to do and $7 to spend, it's something to do but it's far from the Lexington shows.

To be fair though, if I happen to be in the area over the weeknd, chances are I'll check it out, you never know what they might have. *LOL*

09jisaac

Thank you both. I never knew about that website, glad I asked.

No problem Glockster. I know about that website but I don't check it out too often. So without your question I wouldn't have known that there was a gun show at ashland tomorrow.

So thanks for bringing it up.

neuroblades

I happened to be in the area for the gun show, as things turned out, I was free today and decided to go down and check it out once again and to hit Border's afterwards. I was impressed with how many folks had turned out for this show this time, they had the largest crowd that I've ever seen at the Ashland show. Maybe it's time to look for a bigger and better place to be holding this though. The Shriner's building though nice and cozay is looking like it's too small to house this event if it's going to continue to grow as it has.

A few things that did rather miff me though were the increase in admission, the over abundance of knives, the over crowding of people and the lack of FFL dealers and dealers of weapons accessories. I can honestly say though that there was a great turn out of private weapons dealers though. :)

I'd really love to see the Ashland show grow in size till it rivals those in Lexington, I know hopeful wishing on my part. *LOL* Where else in Ashland could they hold the gun show?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
There really isn't anywhere else of size that it could be held. Unless the school board allowed them to use their gymnasium, that would be the only place, and I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon. It certainly was a little to cramped for my liking, and there was not very many deals to be had. I did pick up several P-mags with sight window for 17 a piece. Got a few boxes of 357sig. Gold-dots for 20 bucks, but other than that I was a little disappointed. Not to mention I had to CONCEAL my firearm at a GUNSHOW!!! I thought that was a joke...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Anybody going to the show in Louisville the 31st? Anybody know if it is a good show, or worth driving 3 hours to attend?

neuroblades

Anybody going to the show in Louisville the 31st? Anybody know if it is a good show, or worth driving 3 hours to attend?

According to what I've heard about the Louisville shows, they're supposedly the best ones to hit in Kentucky. I've yet to be able to drive out there for one though I have attempted it once before but then everyone that was supposed to go, backed out at the last minute. :(

Last edited:

neuroblades

There really isn't anywhere else of size that it could be held. Unless the school board allowed them to use their gymnasium, that would be the only place, and I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon. It certainly was a little to cramped for my liking, and there was not very many deals to be had. I did pick up several P-mags with sight window for 17 a piece. Got a few boxes of 357sig. Gold-dots for 20 bucks, but other than that I was a little disappointed. Not to mention I had to CONCEAL my firearm at a GUNSHOW!!! I thought that was a joke...

I had to carry concealed as well, it was rather foolish! As for the school allowing them to hold it there, I agree with you, chances are that they'd never go for it but if someone could make them realize that they'd be making money from the shows to either put back into the school system or to fund school activities. It would help them and it would give us a feather in out caps in the sense of public image, "Local gun show and gun owner's help to support local school", that would read well in the papers. :)

Last edited:

neuroblades

There is the convention center in Grayson that might be an option. I have never been inside, but it might be bigger than the current location.

While that might be good for the size of the show, it would ultimately move it out of the Ashland area, not something I'd like to see happen to this gun show. Part of it's appeal is the fact that it's kind of close, compared to the Lexington & Louisville shows, the latter of which I've yet to be able to attend but would much like to do someday. *LOL*

MrOverlay

While that might be good for the size of the show, it would ultimately move it out of the Ashland area, not something I'd like to see happen to this gun show. Part of it's appeal is the fact that it's kind of close, compared to the Lexington & Louisville shows, the latter of which I've yet to be able to attend but would much like to do someday. *LOL*

Sorry I thought size was the issue, my mistake.

neuroblades

Sorry I thought size was the issue, my mistake.

No need to say you're sorry, just brain storming here. *LOL* Size and location would both be paramount. I'd love to see it get a larger venue to grow even more but at the same time be able to stay in the Ashland area as well. I know, sometime you have it both ways but just pondering if there was a larger locale to hold it that could achieve both goals.