• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Sportsman Show

ManInBlack

I was wondering if anyone was planning to head to the Idaho Sportsman Show at Expo Idaho (fairgrounds) in Garden City. I am probably going to go tonight with a friend. I am hopeful that the "security" people they pay to loiter around the gates have learned their lesson and don't hassle me like they did at the Fair.

ManInBlack

I thought I had posted about it but I can't find it at the moment. Basically, I walked about 2 feet past the security guy open carrying my .45, when I hear the "excuse me, sir." I turned and asked what he wanted, and he said "you can't take a gun in there." I told him that I could, that it was public property and hence preempted under state statute, etc. He continued to deny me, so I told him to call his supervisor. He gets on the phone, and security guy #2 asks if I have a "permit for that." I told him that I didn't need one because I was open carrying. He then proceeded to tell me that I absolutely need a permit to carry a gun, and security gal chimed in that she agreed. I told them that they were wrong, and proceeded to stand and wait while security guy #1 talks to his supervisor. Meanwhile, security guy #2 tried to placate me with the typical "Hey man, I don't think there's anything wrong with guns..." which I ignored. Finally, security guy #1 hung up the phone and told me to go ahead. I gave the ticket-taker my ticket and walked in. Other than a couple of ignorant comments I overheard, I had no further problems, even walked by several groups of sheriff's deputies.

I thought the whole thing was strange because I knew that you and others had gone and had not had any problems. I was dressed respectably (jeans/button down t-shirt), so I don't know what the deal was.

carracer

Wow! That is strange. As I posted, the first sec guard looked directly at my 1911 and said "gun in holster, ok." I may borrow my, I mean, my son's 1911 back from him and go to the show also. Will post if I do.