• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 685 GPS BILL Just passed the Senate

mk4

...and the companion house bill, hb1298, was just engrossed and passed to 3rd reading.

mk4

HB1298 - 03/05/12 House: Read third time and passed House (98-Y 0-N)

TFred

They are bulldog determined on the strangest things this year.:uhoh:
I would imagine that this has been sold as a requirement to ensure that our LEOs stay in compliance with the recent court orders. They're probably being told that without this law, our LEOs will probably end up doing things that will get cases thrown out and put criminals out on the streets.

Just a guess.

TFred

mk4

I would imagine that this has been sold as a requirement to ensure that our LEOs stay in compliance with the recent court orders. They're probably being told that without this law, our LEOs will probably end up doing things that will get cases thrown out and put criminals out on the streets.

Just a guess.

TFred

i'd say a pretty good guess.
both bills contain: "2. That an emergency exists and this act is in force from its passage."
they want this on the books sooner than yesterday.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is getting a good deal of attention around the blogosphere. Most folks are linking from http://cursesfoiledagain2.wordpress...ills-to-allow-secret-gps-tracking-in-virgina/

URGENT! Frightening bills to allow secret GPS tracking in Virgina!Update 4: The senate version has passed, unanimously. It looks like the House version has not but is still in play, but the House has adjourned for the day. Unless the House rejects both versions, it looks like this will become Virginia law within the next day or so.
Considering that the House version passed out of committee on a unanimous vote, I think we’re buggered.
—–
Update 2: I should have done this from the start, but I’d like to ask anyone who reads this and has a blog to help spread the word. If we can get enough Virginians contacting their representatives before these bills come up for a vote, maybe we can kill them by a significant margin. The governor is the one who requested the measure, so if either bill passes both houses there is little doubt that he will sign. There is an “emergency” provision in each bill that specifically states it becomes effective immediately, rather than July 1 like most bills.

and then adding their own comments.

We discussed this here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...acking-Guidelines-(introduced-AFTER-crossover!) after it was introduced with highly unusual timing. Will anyone in the GA raise that issue? I have donut holes that I am willing to put up in the event feels like losing a wager.

stay safe.

mk4

We discussed this here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...acking-Guidelines-(introduced-AFTER-crossover!) after it was introduced with highly unusual timing. Will anyone in the GA raise that issue? I have donut holes that I am willing to put up in the event feels like losing a wager.

stay safe.

considering that *both* bills passed, what chance is there at anything negatively impacting their enactment, other than a veto of course? isn't it, essentially, a "done deal", especially with the bills being introduced at the request of the governor?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
considering that *both* bills passed, what chance is there at anything negatively impacting their enactment, other than a veto of course? isn't it, essentially, a "done deal", especially with the bills being introduced at the request of the governor?

Seeing as how both bills were introduced at the request of the Governor, I doubt that he would veto either of them should one or the other pass both houses.

The question(s) are going to be:

1) which version does the Governor believe most closely matches what he wanted? (Come on, skid, they were word-for-word identical bills! You are really saying which house and which legislotor does he love more.) (Why, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.)

2) Who is going to be able to get past the secrecy of the legislation once it is enacted and discover that they were victimized by the denial of civil rights when a GPS search warrant was used to collect evidence that resulted in a conviction? Appeals that one's conviction was improper because the law that allowed the cops to secure and serve a search warrant was somehow illegal are somewhat difficult to phrase. I imagine they are going to be even more difficult to win.

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member
Seeing as how both bills were introduced at the request of the Governor, I doubt that he would veto either of them should one or the other pass both houses.

1) which version does the Governor believe most closely matches what he wanted? (Come on, skid, they were word-for-word identical bills! You are really saying which house and which legislotor does he love more.) (Why, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.)

2) Who is going to be able to get past the secrecy of the legislation once it is enacted and discover that they were victimized by the denial of civil rights when a GPS search warrant was used to collect evidence that resulted in a conviction? Appeals that one's conviction was improper because the law that allowed the cops to secure and serve a search warrant was somehow illegal are somewhat difficult to phrase. I imagine they are going to be even more difficult to win.

stay safe.

See now, I thought LEO/LEA wouldn't do something in secret unless it was absolutely necessary for my health and safety. Hey if we can harm the liberties of 100 innocent men to catch that one {probably} guilty man shouldn't we? Huh? What do you think this is? A republic, you think you should have inalienable rights (whatever in the h*ll those are)?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
....What do you think this is? A republic, you think you should have inalienable rights (whatever in the h*ll those are)?

Not that it matters now that they are gone, but the Founders knew why they were "unalienable". :banghead: And the stories about the copyist writing them on some versions as "inalienable" because they mean the same thing is just that - a bunch of fairy stories.

Yes, I grew up in a time when specific words had specific meaning, as opposed to how these days it is virtually the same.

stay safe.

Repeater

1) which version does the Governor believe most closely matches what he wanted?

stay safe.

GPS Tracking Bill Backed in VA Senate
Law enforcement, in particular, are scrambling to determine what constitutes legal use of GPS tracking technology. A couple of bills are floating around the Virginia Senate and House to remedy the lack of legal guidelines around this new technology. Recently, one of these bills gained some traction in the form of sponsoring by Sen. Bryce Reeves (R-Spotsylvania).

Reeves, a former police detective, backed the bill which explicitly requires police to obtain a warrant from a judge or magistrate before attaching a GPS tracking device to a suspect’s vehicle. “It just holds law enforcement accountable for that,” explained Reeves. The original bill was significantly revised by members of the Senate Courts of Justice committee. These changes take into account the difficulties of getting a warrant in rural parts of the country, allowing law enforcement to get warrants from circuit judges and general district judges. Sen. Ryan McDougle (R-Hanover) explains, “In rural jurisdiction, that could put some burdens on the system.” Meaning that outside of cities, a circuit judge might not be available or have to recuse him or herself if the warrant is subject to a challenge.

Another major adjustment to the bill was made in regards to notifying the suspect. In most search warrant cases, the suspect is able to view the warrant at the time police conduct the home or vehicle search. GPS tracking, however, is most effective when done without the suspect’s knowledge. Under the revised bill, the suspect is granted a copy of the warrant within 10 days after the tracking is complete. The bill is currently waiting on a decision from the full Senate.

No mention of permanent sealing.

It's one thing to use GPS on Coon Hunting dogs, but we're not dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

mk4

exactly!

now we're in the situation of needing the ga to fix the situation, dependent upon how this statute gets used over the next x number of months and how case law (as interpretation of statute) plays out.

mk4

It's one thing to use GPS on Coon Hunting dogs, but we're not dogs.

regarding this statute, we're just the same now. it's gonna be enacted, and we'll hafta fight to get it fixed, post-facto, if it's abused. not that leo/lea would ever do that... right? :uhoh:

nuc65

Activist Member
Not that it matters now that they are gone, but the Founders knew why they were "unalienable". :banghead: And the stories about the copyist writing them on some versions as "inalienable" because they mean the same thing is just that - a bunch of fairy stories.

Yes, I grew up in a time when specific words had specific meaning, as opposed to how these days it is virtually the same.

stay safe.

I've said the same thing on this board regarding spelling and grammar, but was told it wasn't important by the same gents that will then go on to split a hair over word choice in a legal bill...

Words will always matter, knowing the 'write' one is important (there is not the same as their is not the same as they're).

I used 'inalienable' as sarcasm.

Thundar

THis is just another form of state sanctioned spying. The good people who wish to keep their privacy, dignity and their constitutional rights intact need GPS jammers and cell phone jammers to stay ahead of the po-po spies these days.

TFred

Last edited: