• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orphan and I apparently made the news....

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I find the date on this to be very interesting...

SPOKANE MUNICIPAL CODE
Title 10 Regulation of Activities
Division I. Penal Code
Chapter 10.10 Offenses Against Peace and Order
Section 10.10.050 Municipal Public Assembly Facilities
No person shall bring into any City public assembly facility any cans, bottles, alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, guns, knives or other such devices which are weapons or apparently capable of use as weapons.
The public assembly facilities are the INB Performing Arts Center, the Convention Center, Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena, and Joe Albi Stadium.
This shall not prohibit legitimate operations of licensed concessionaires or other persons authorized by the Spokane Public Facilities District, Chief Executive Officer or designee.
Date Passed: Monday, January 9, 2012
Effective Date: Thursday, February 16, 2012

ORD C34823 Section 1

With the comments made about being licensed to conceal you need to cover up, is this an indication they are aware there is an exemption? Even though there is no requirement to concealed it.

Last edited:

Pat Gardner

I seen the report on the 10:00pm news last night,and all they said was that two guys with guns were trying to get in to see Ron Paul. Well i will tell u that i was born and raised in Spokane and i was very disappointed that they did that to u both. if I had been in Spokane i would've been right there with u guys ocing my .22Cal Revolver. I was also disappointed that Khq didn't say that two men who were exercising their 2A rights by ocing their firearms and were trying to see Ron Paul were asked to leave. It seems the news stations never get a story straight. I hope everything goes good with u both on this situation . keep us informed with this and Carry On.

amzbrady

I seen the report on the 10:00pm news last night,and all they said was that two guys with guns were trying to get in to see Ron Paul. Well i will tell u that i was born and raised in Spokane and i was very disappointed that they did that to u both. if I had been in Spokane i would've been right there with u guys ocing my .22Cal Revolver. I was also disappointed that Khq didn't say that two men who were exercising their 2A rights by ocing their firearms and were trying to see Ron Paul were asked to leave. It seems the news stations never get a story straight. I hope everything goes good with u both on this situation . keep us informed with this and Carry On.

I think the news cast should have done some research and stated "Although Open Carry is legal in the state of Washington, the reason these two open carriers were denied access to the Ron Paul event at this building is because...."

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I think the news cast should have done some research and stated "Although Open Carry is legal in the state of Washington, the reason these two open carriers were denied access to the Ron Paul event at this building is because...."

The main issue about news agency's they have their own agenda when it comes to this topic of politics and the old concept of telling a balanced non bias story is left back in the dust.

This News Channel had every opportunity to have a complete story.

On the issue of the City Ordinance prohibiting firearms in the convention center is legal, but they must apply the exception as to those in possession of a CPL.

Jeff Hayes

I know you were OC.

Was there any type of pat downs, wands, metal detectors? Or were CC people allowed to just enter with no issues?

No wands, pat down or metal detectors. I even asked what wouldyou do if I simply covered up and they said I still had to leave but I could come back in without the firearm.

I asked if they knew that there were a lot of folks there conceal carrying and they said they knew but that was OK because it was not right out there.

Jeff Hayes

I find the date on this to be very interesting...

With the comments made about being licensed to conceal you need to cover up, is this an indication they are aware there is an exemption? Even though there is no requirement to concealed it.

Dave I could not get them to come out and say it but they did tell me that if I had a permit I had to keep it covered. Man I don't understand the thought process that allows people to say stuff like that.

amlevin

Dave I could not get them to come out and say it but they did tell me that if I had a permit I had to keep it covered. Man I don't understand the thought process that allows people to say stuff like that.

They're probably referring to the "exemption" in RCW 9.41.300

"(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 "

This would allow the restriction on Open Carry but not if concealed with CPL.

Last edited:

fetch

SMC 10.10.050 was passed before the new council members were seated. That means, new council members may not know about it.
I will be at the council meeting Monday evening.
At the time orphan and thor80 were kicked out I was CC but they knew I was carrying because I told them I was carrying and they did not kick me out. I also had a great conversation with security, the guy in the picture and others, and they know where we stand. They also know they are in the middle. It is not about the security at the facility. It is the city.

sudden valley gunner

"(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

Still doesn't say you have to conceal though. Just possess the CPL>

kparker

svg,

"Still doesn't say you have to conceal though. Just possess the CPL"

Precisely! We're not Texas or Florida; there isn't the slightest hint of a requirement to conceal anywhere in WA state law.

sudden valley gunner

svg,

"Still doesn't say you have to conceal though. Just possess the CPL"

Precisely! We're not Texas or Florida; there isn't the slightest hint of a requirement to conceal anywhere in WA state law.

Yep now if we can people to understand the real meaning of "rule of law" .:lol:

Difdi

They had signs up on the doors that said no guns allowed and cited SMC 10.10.050 Municipal Public Assembly Facilities that clearly says no guns. clearly this law is is null and void because it is preempted by RCW 9.41.290.

Definitely.

RCW 9.41.300 clearly states that persons with CPLs are exempt and I attempted to show my CPL several times but no one even looked at it. The security guy kept saying if you have a permit you need to cover it up.

As far as I can recall, the RCW states that you are exempt, not that you have to prove you are exempt. Having stated that you have a CPL, you should just ignore the idiot(s) until they do something that breaches the peace, then make a citizen's arrest.

No it wouldn't. The RCW does not specify that someone with a CPL must cover it up.

Last edited:

Thor80

SMC 10.10.050 was passed before the new council members were seated. That means, new council members may not know about it.
I will be at the council meeting Monday evening.
At the time orphan and thor80 were kicked out I was CC but they knew I was carrying because I told them I was carrying and they did not kick me out. I also had a great conversation with security, the guy in the picture and others, and they know where we stand. They also know they are in the middle. It is not about the security at the facility. It is the city.

Does this not help our case of "discrimination"? If they knew you were armed, but covered how does that differ from Orphan and I? They knew that we were armed also but just not covering, yet we were asked to leave. What would the reasoning be behind that? So now it goes from them essentially stating that it was a "blanket" policy regarding firearms to Orphan and I to them "selectively" enforcing their bad policy to those who chose not to cover..... Also they opted not to do pat-downs/wanding etc and they told Orphan and I that they didn't care how many people inside were concealing because they couldn't "see" their firearms.... It's late and I have to work tomorrow but I'll be posting some more of my thoughts hopefully fairly organized tomorrow....

-Thor

Last edited: