Thread: Michigan Pistol

Michigan Pistol

got a call from a member who bought a Mossberg 500A JIC and he was forced to register it as a PISTOL

I am not versed in this part of the pistol law of michigan, so
    some of you who are, will you let him know here if the laws of a "Michigan Pistol" are the same as for a regular Pistol
    thanks in advance
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    got a call from a member who bought a Mossberg 500A JIC and he was forced to register it as a PISTOL

some of you who are, will you let him know here if the laws of a "Michigan Pistol" are the same as for a regular Pistol
    thanks in advance
    "Michigan Pistols" must abide by the pistol laws in Michigan. With a CPL he could keep it loaded in his car. Without a CPL he has to transport it like a pistol and not a long gun.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    "Michigan Pistols" must abide by the pistol laws in Michigan. With a CPL he could keep it loaded in his car. Without a CPL he has to transport it like a pistol and not a long gun.
    I understand (somewhat) what you are saying here but if you can find them please cite the MCL's? As I understand it there was some recent action to steer MI law closer to Federal law when defining pistol (under 30 inches in total length and/or barrel under 16 inches). vs. rifles (30 inches or greater in total length with a barrel 16 inches or greater in length).
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    I understand (somewhat) what you are saying here but if you can find them please cite the MCL's? As I understand it there was some recent action to steer MI law closer to Federal law when defining pistol (under 30 inches in total length and/or barrel under 16 inches). vs. rifles (30 inches or greater in total length with a barrel 16 inches or greater in length).
    There is a bill that would make any "Michigan Pistol" registered after this past new year a rifle (if before the new year it's grandfathered to that owner). I'm honestly not sure on the status of that bill. But if the person had to register it as a "Michigan Pistol" (federally a rifle) that person must abide by the laws in Michigan regarding pistols. Federal laws regarding pistols do not happy because under federal law it's a rifle.

ETA: 28.421 Definitions.
    (e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 03-02-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

..... I'm honestly not sure on the status of that bill. .....
    It is still in committee or similarly delayed, AFAIK.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Question

There is a bill that would make any "Michigan Pistol" registered after this past new year a rifle (if before the new year it's grandfathered to that owner). I'm honestly not sure on the status of that bill. But if the person had to register it as a "Michigan Pistol" (federally a rifle) that person must abide by the laws in Michigan regarding pistols. Federal laws regarding pistols do not happy because under federal law it's a rifle.
    Thanks for the follow up. I think we need to call on the MI pistol GURU's here to make sure we don't confuse any new comers to OC and the whole MI pistol vs federal definition(s) of what a pistol is....MI pistol GURU's please feel free to jump in please. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

G9OS.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post

thanks in advance
    Onnie from the data on the Mossberg website {below} it does appear to meet the current specs for a MI pistol. Now if he had simply bought a 500A with a full stock & a 20 inch (or greater) barrel on it. then added a pistol grip down the road [30 1/2 inches by my experience] he would not of had to register it as a pistol. Pro's & Con's to either way. JMHO
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs

IC™-JUST-IN-CASE SERIES
    TYPE ITEM GA. CALIBER DESC. CAP. BBL LGTH SIGHTS CHOKES LGTH (in.) LOP (in.) DAC (in.) DAH (in.) FINISH STOCK WT. (lbs.) MSRP. Order Online
    - 500 J.I.C CRUISER
    home security/
    special purpose 51340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
    shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" blue synthetic (black) $448.00
    - 500 J.I.C MARINER
    home security/
    special purpose 52340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
    shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" marinecote synthetic (black) $580.00
    - 500 J.I.C SANDSTORM
    home security/
    special purpose 53340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
    shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" desert camo synthetic (black) $503.00
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 03-03-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: link data

thanks everyone for the comments!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

ETA: 28.421 Definitions.
    (e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

Fortunately, the bill hasn't yet moved.

SB 760-762 are the numbers.

Currently, it is a michigan pistol, and able to be carried as a pistol with a CPL... ie: loaded in a car, etc...

I forget if it passed the house or the senate. It passed one, and is waiting in the other.

If the law that is currently held up passes whichever legislature and is signed by the GOv, it will NO LONGER BE LEGAL TO CARRY IT because it was not registered as such before jan. 1st, 2012.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

I have one. Guy at the gun show from a real gun shop sold it to me as a long gun. I found out afterword it was a "pistol". (A very rude person from Duncan's insisted my gun was totally illegal and junk and I shouldn't have it but they'll still take my money to shoot it there) Luckily I was able to sell it to myself to have it registered correctly. Michigan insists it's a pistol so I've got to get a big coat for proper concealment. Or maybe a nice holster for my belt.

I cant cite anything but I thought I had read a thing recently saying they changed the law so my gun wouldn't be a pistol any more.

qqq1,
    As was mentioned above, there is a bill currently before the legislature that would do this, but please don't mention it here anymore or this might happen....

start reading about here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1702348
    Last edited by DrTodd; 03-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.