• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Pistol

Onnie

got a call from a member who bought a Mossberg 500A JIC and he was forced to register it as a PISTOL

I am not versed in this part of the pistol law of michigan, so
some of you who are, will you let him know here if the laws of a "Michigan Pistol" are the same as for a regular Pistol
thanks in advance

xmanhockey7

got a call from a member who bought a Mossberg 500A JIC and he was forced to register it as a PISTOL

some of you who are, will you let him know here if the laws of a "Michigan Pistol" are the same as for a regular Pistol
thanks in advance

"Michigan Pistols" must abide by the pistol laws in Michigan. With a CPL he could keep it loaded in his car. Without a CPL he has to transport it like a pistol and not a long gun.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
"Michigan Pistols" must abide by the pistol laws in Michigan. With a CPL he could keep it loaded in his car. Without a CPL he has to transport it like a pistol and not a long gun.

I understand (somewhat) what you are saying here but if you can find them please cite the MCL's? As I understand it there was some recent action to steer MI law closer to Federal law when defining pistol (under 30 inches in total length and/or barrel under 16 inches). vs. rifles (30 inches or greater in total length with a barrel 16 inches or greater in length).

xmanhockey7

I understand (somewhat) what you are saying here but if you can find them please cite the MCL's? As I understand it there was some recent action to steer MI law closer to Federal law when defining pistol (under 30 inches in total length and/or barrel under 16 inches). vs. rifles (30 inches or greater in total length with a barrel 16 inches or greater in length).

There is a bill that would make any "Michigan Pistol" registered after this past new year a rifle (if before the new year it's grandfathered to that owner). I'm honestly not sure on the status of that bill. But if the person had to register it as a "Michigan Pistol" (federally a rifle) that person must abide by the laws in Michigan regarding pistols. Federal laws regarding pistols do not happy because under federal law it's a rifle.

ETA: 28.421 Definitions.
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
There is a bill that would make any "Michigan Pistol" registered after this past new year a rifle (if before the new year it's grandfathered to that owner). I'm honestly not sure on the status of that bill. But if the person had to register it as a "Michigan Pistol" (federally a rifle) that person must abide by the laws in Michigan regarding pistols. Federal laws regarding pistols do not happy because under federal law it's a rifle.

Thanks for the follow up. I think we need to call on the MI pistol GURU's here to make sure we don't confuse any new comers to OC and the whole MI pistol vs federal definition(s) of what a pistol is....MI pistol GURU's please feel free to jump in please. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

G9OS.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

thanks in advance

Onnie from the data on the Mossberg website {below} it does appear to meet the current specs for a MI pistol. Now if he had simply bought a 500A with a full stock & a 20 inch (or greater) barrel on it. then added a pistol grip down the road [30 1/2 inches by my experience] he would not of had to register it as a pistol. Pro's & Con's to either way. JMHO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=specs

IC™-JUST-IN-CASE SERIES
TYPE ITEM GA. CALIBER DESC. CAP. BBL LGTH SIGHTS CHOKES LGTH (in.) LOP (in.) DAC (in.) DAH (in.) FINISH STOCK WT. (lbs.) MSRP. Order Online
- 500 J.I.C CRUISER
home security/
special purpose 51340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" blue synthetic (black) $448.00
- 500 J.I.C MARINER
home security/
special purpose 52340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" marinecote synthetic (black) $580.00
- 500 J.I.C SANDSTORM
home security/
special purpose 53340 12 3" j.i.c.(just in case)
shotguns 6 18 1/2" bead cyl. bore 28 3/4" desert camo synthetic (black) $503.00

Last edited:

Super Trucker

ETA: 28.421 Definitions.
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

Fortunately, the bill hasn't yet moved.

SB 760-762 are the numbers.

HKcarrier

Currently, it is a michigan pistol, and able to be carried as a pistol with a CPL... ie: loaded in a car, etc...

I forget if it passed the house or the senate. It passed one, and is waiting in the other.

If the law that is currently held up passes whichever legislature and is signed by the GOv, it will NO LONGER BE LEGAL TO CARRY IT because it was not registered as such before jan. 1st, 2012.

qqq1

I have one. Guy at the gun show from a real gun shop sold it to me as a long gun. I found out afterword it was a "pistol". (A very rude person from Duncan's insisted my gun was totally illegal and junk and I shouldn't have it but they'll still take my money to shoot it there) Luckily I was able to sell it to myself to have it registered correctly. Michigan insists it's a pistol so I've got to get a big coat for proper concealment. Or maybe a nice holster for my belt.

I cant cite anything but I thought I had read a thing recently saying they changed the law so my gun wouldn't be a pistol any more.