• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watch this video closely

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Is the link supposed to go to a google account log in screen? Or is it just my phone? I couldn't get to the video.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Is the link supposed to go to a google account log in screen? Or is it just my phone? I couldn't get to the video.

You'll get the typical interrogation window asking if you want to save the file or view it. That might be why you can't see it with your phone. You should be able to get in on your PC.

Oops. I just tested it and it IS a google mail account link (obviously I still had my account open at the time I tested it after posting it here). Sorry people, I'll remove it and try to correct the problem if I can.

Ok, I found several versions posted so you should be able to see it now.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ah yes, that fixed the problem. Thanks!

Too short of a video to know the whole situation. It does appear that he was complying with commands but was shot in the back. Perhaps the second officer cane around the corner and thought he was picking up the gun rather than putting it down. I will try to find a corresponding news article.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This was discussed some time ago and it was determined to be a training video and was staged.

I was thinking that based on their reactions after the shots were fired. They were way too calm. Do you know what the basis of the training was?

Last edited:

hammer6

really? none of you saw the handgun in his right hand as he went down? he was putting the assault rifle down and pulling out a handgun with his right hand at the same time. the guy from behind was there the whole time but shot him once he pulled the handgun out.

ncwabbit

good eyes hammer6...

there is something out of the approaching officer's pistol right after he says gun...

wabbit...

PS if training clip...realistic

SouthernBoy

really? none of you saw the handgun in his right hand as he went down? he was putting the assault rifle down and pulling out a handgun with his right hand at the same time. the guy from behind was there the whole time but shot him once he pulled the handgun out.

That is why I wrote, "But watch closely and see what becomes obvious." Without this having occurred, assuming the video was real, it would not have been a good shoot. It would have been at the minimum, manslaughter.

CommonMan101

I'm not an expert but I would not casually walk up on a man I just shot that still had a gun in his hand. That makes me think this was a training scenario being recorded.

If it was either real or not over as a training session - it is a fail by the cop for his own safety. If the training act was over then nothing wrong here at all. As a shoot-noshoot scenario it looked like a good training example to me.

To SouthernBoy, The cop in the back yelled GUUN!! in a situation they were looking for the slightest evidence of him fighting them with a firearm. That was the go sign to shoot. My question is why the officer, that yelled GUUN!!, didn't fire upon him himself.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I'm not an expert but I would not casually walk up on a man I just shot that still had a gun in his hand. That makes me think this was a training scenario being recorded.

If it was either real or not over as a training session - it is a fail by the cop for his own safety. If the training act was over then nothing wrong here at all. As a shoot-noshoot scenario it looked like a good training example to me.

To SouthernBoy, The cop in the back yelled GUUN!! in a situation they were looking for the slightest evidence of him fighting them with a firearm. That was the go sign to shoot. My question is why the officer, that yelled GUUN!!, didn't fire upon him himself.

Good questions and good that you also noticed the man in the rear yelling GUN. As a civilian, if I were to ever have to use my firearm, I would not get close to the assailant(s) either unless I saw another imminent threat at hand. And even then, it would be iffy and solely based upon my interpretation of such at the time. Just because the GB goes down does not mean he automatically ceases to be a threat.

Good points and good catches.

Xulld

Too many people draw conclusions based on far too limited information. That is very clearly true. It is human nature, to work against it requires honing critical thinking skills, and sometimes to withhold judgement often enough to get on the nerves of your friends.

We-the-People

Doesn't look like a training video to me. I would like to know where and who discussed this and determined it was a training video? It's possible but I'm not biting on that explanation that easilly.

I see the rear officers firearm discharge as the perp is pulling the gun. I also see the body reactions of the perp to the shots fired....As someone who has participated in LEO training scenarios, the body movements of the perp do not look like those to be expected in a training scenario.

WATCH CLOSELY at how his feet move forward immediately and he litterally drops like a dead weight onto the CONCRETE.

"Perp" actors in training scenarios don't drop their full body weight that hard onto concrete, let alone their heads.

As for the officers "calmly approaching"...the perp is down. While the handgun is still in the perps hand, his arm is not moving...the threat has been reduced. Front officer holsters his weapon as he approaches to secure the perp and weapon. This frees both of his hands for the task while the rear officer provides "cover" after having moved up to the downed perp. Training has kicked in, the officers are reacting on instinct, unable to fully comprehend the situation before the video cuts off as only a few seconds have passed. Once the perp and weapon is secure, I would expect the "oh *****" and second guessing to start, along with the post adrenaline shakes.

PALO

Doesn't look like a training video to me. I would like to know where and who discussed this and determined it was a training video? It's possible but I'm not biting on that explanation that easilly.

I see the rear officers firearm discharge as the perp is pulling the gun. I also see the body reactions of the perp to the shots fired....As someone who has participated in LEO training scenarios, the body movements of the perp do not look like those to be expected in a training scenario.

WATCH CLOSELY at how his feet move forward immediately and he litterally drops like a dead weight onto the CONCRETE.

"Perp" actors in training scenarios don't drop their full body weight that hard onto concrete, let alone their heads.

As for the officers "calmly approaching"...the perp is down. While the handgun is still in the perps hand, his arm is not moving...the threat has been reduced. Front officer holsters his weapon as he approaches to secure the perp and weapon. This frees both of his hands for the task while the rear officer provides "cover" after having moved up to the downed perp. Training has kicked in, the officers are reacting on instinct, unable to fully comprehend the situation before the video cuts off as only a few seconds have passed. Once the perp and weapon is secure, I would expect the "oh *****" and second guessing to start, along with the post adrenaline shakes.

i think it COULD be a training video (and note saying it is a training video does not mean it is fake. iow, we often use real shooting incidents during training. this makes them TRAINING videos.)

i noted that numerous people instantly said unjustified. iow, they zeroed in on the gun he was putting down. one person noticed (as did i because i am trained to...) his right arm. you can CLEARLY see what appears to be a gun in his hand as he hits the ground. it's not even remotely questionable it would be a good shoot. it appears the one officer saw it was a gun he was drawing, yells "gun" and fires.

the thing that most makes me want to think "fake" is how instantly he goes down upon being shot. i've been in shootouts, seen people actually shot, etc. and unless it's an instant kill headshot, it never looks like that unless it is a headshot kill (or a REALLY luck body shot)

it doesn't look like the guy approaching even fires as best i can tell.

if it is real (and it certainly might be), that is some great obs, and those officers are remarkably cool for such a stressful situation

major props if it is real

Tucker6900

This was discussed some time ago and it was determined to be a training video and was staged.

+1

From my experience watching police shootings, real....police shootings, most of the time, the LEO's dont just holster their guns and approach haphazardly. And in this day and age, if something like that were to happen for real, I would like to believe that it would have been put through the media grinder.

We-the-People

I'm still, after three more times watching it, stuck on the "foot work" of the perp and how he collapses. It's like he has been hit in the spine. Look at the "stutter" of the feet...it's simply NOT how an actor would react in falling.

As for holstering, the front officer holsters but the rear officer, while not at a tactical ready stance, has his weapon out and ready, though admittedly not "as ready" as I would expect until the perps gun was out of his hand.