• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to survive a school shooting

oldbanger

These are not my words.

"A shooter enters the classroom and starts shooting at people. Remember, there is nowhere to run or hide.

The strategy begins with the first person who notices the shooter and yells “GUN!” Everyone in the room then throws whatever is available, as hard as they can, at the shooter’s face causing him to flinch, and preventing him from taking aim. Then what’s known as the “throw and go” tactic is implemented.

Upon throwing items at the shooter, the occupants rush to and swarm the shooter. The first few people are taught to attack and move the shooter’s gun hand and gun toward the ground.

At the same time or shortly after, the other swarmer’s attack and take the shooter to the ground. Students, faculty and staff are taught to strategically lay on the shooter’s extremities as well as their core area to maximize the amount of weight on the shooter.

In addition, they are taught to place ready-at-hand objects such as belts, T-shirts, etc., onto the shooter’s throat, nose and eyes to disrupt breathing and sight.

Once it is determined the shooter is no longer a threat, people are instructed to release pressure to allow breathing but maintain control on top of the shooter until the police arrive." :eek:

Larry Banaszak is the Chief of Police [sic] at Otterbein University.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/02/28/how-to-survive-school-shooting/

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

The first few people are taught to attack and move the shooter’s gun hand and gun toward the ground.

Why are only the "first few" people taught to attack? How are these "first few" picked? How are they taught to attack? What are they taught? Do they scream BONSAI! as they attack?

If we outlaw schools this discussion becomes irrelevant. Do it for the children.

Sangre

I think the best option would be to pull out your own gun and shoot back, but then again finding a school that allows you to carry is not really something that is easy to do right now :banghead:

Dreamer

I think the best option would be to pull out your own gun and shoot back, but then again finding a school that allows you to carry is not really something that is easy to do right now :banghead:

Anyone ever notice how school shooting never happen in the inner cities? Wonder why? It's because about 25% pf the students and faculty are probably packing heat...

Meanwhile, in the suburbs, law-abiding students and teachers follow the rules and don't carry in school, and most of the suburbanites are domesticated sheeple anyway, and wouldn't carry even if they COULD, because they have been effectively brainwashed to believe they are in a "safe part of town", and that the "police are there to protect them".

Criminals, thugs, and madmen might be psychotic, but they aren't stupid.

Fishermen go where the fish are--or in this case, wolves go where the sheep are...

nobama

The whole idea is to not cower under a desk with your cell phone in hand hoping someone will come to the rescue. That is a sure way to get one in the head,instead, do whatever you can to throw the thug off his or her game. Remember, he came in with a plan, anything to disrupt his plan will send him running or if its a suicide/ murder then he will just put a bullet into himself. The schools teach the first. Find a desk and hide. This is wrong and stupid, but what do we expect from our public,gov. run schools.

HandyHamlet

The whole idea is to not cower under a desk with your cell phone in hand hoping someone will come to the rescue. That is a sure way to get one in the head,instead, do whatever you can to throw the thug off his or her game.

After you. I insist.

Sangre

The whole idea is to not cower under a desk with your cell phone in hand hoping someone will come to the rescue. That is a sure way to get one in the head,instead, do whatever you can to throw the thug off his or her game. Remember, he came in with a plan, anything to disrupt his plan will send him running or if its a suicide/ murder then he will just put a bullet into himself. The schools teach the first. Find a desk and hide. This is wrong and stupid, but what do we expect from our public,gov. run schools.

When I was in Middle/High school we had "Code Blue" drills where we would turn off all the lights everybody would get into the back of the room away from the door and be quiet - the idea being an active shooter or physical threat would not know which classrooms had people in them. This I think was a good idea, but it was as far as the drills went. If someone did come into the classroom I do agree the best option then would be to do everything possible to take them down, it's unlikely they could take out 30 kids. I remember discussing this after the Virginia Tech shootings with fellow classmates and figuring that being hit with a thrown desk, hopefully multiple desks should easily disorient somebody enough to have the teacher/students jump him.

Freedom First

...At the same time or shortly after, the other swarmer’s attack and take the shooter to the ground. Students, faculty and staff are taught to strategically lay on the shooter’s extremities as well as their core area to maximize the amount of weight on the shooter.

When the shooter is immobilized then the class draws straws for who gets to pound the scum into the next world with textbooks...

SFCRetired

If everything else fails, do the redneck "Nuclear Attack Drill": Stand up straight, move your feet shoulder width apart, bend waaaaay over, and kiss your sweet *** goodbye!!

High school down; I am much in favor of having teachers vetted and armed much like airline pilots.

College: Concealed carry for students legally of age to carry at any public institution. Private institutions make their own policies.

SFCRetired

The problem with that is that "Dumbo" is trying to get the pilots ability to carry overturned as well!

And there are those who "honestly" think he won't cause every privately-owned firearm in the United States to be confiscated? I don't think he's going to be successful in disarming the pilots, but one never knows.

hermannr

In Vietman we were taught to attack the threat...this ment, if you were in a convoy, drive into the fire in an attempt to get behind the source of fire. If you were on the ground, were ambushed, and did not have cover...same, attack the threat, again in an attempt to get behind it.

OC for ME

Good luck getting a bunch of smartphone carrying, texting/sexting in school during class, self-absorbed, adolescents making a charge at a dude, likely in their own age group, who has just walked into their classroom/cafeteria and starts shooting folks. Heck, some of them will hide, but only to the extent that they can still catch a video to post later on YouTube and Facebook.

Nope, if your kids go to public school, you have placed their safety into the hands of people who care deeply about your kid, but won't lift a finger to defend them when the time comes to actually get their hands dirty. Kids think the adult(s) in the school will 'protect' them.

Nope, this is not how schools works (thanks leftist), let the cops come and get their hands dirty, later.....much later.

Beretta92FSLady

I always sit at the back corner of the room. Gives me time to skin my smoke-wagon since the shooter would have to work their way through the crowd.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
In Vietman we were taught to attack the threat...this ment, if you were in a convoy, drive into the fire in an attempt to get behind the source of fire. If you were on the ground, were ambushed, and did not have cover...same, attack the threat, again in an attempt to get behind it.

When I was there, MY preferred reaction to an full-fledged ambush situation (when WE weren't doing it to THEM that is -- and usually at NIGHT!) was tearing off into the bush to outflank them (there was usually plenty of concealment about and incoming fire was focused on the group, not 1-2 people darting off to the side "escaping").

In a school-shooting-scenario, however, with only 1 or very few shooters in action, attacking them quickly, directly and aggressively (while using whatever cover there was of course) would be my choice -- so I agree with your "straight-on" response in a school (or workplace) situation.

[Not that it matters whether I agree or not, just sayin'...]

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
These are not my words.

"A shooter enters the classroom and starts shooting at people. Remember, there is nowhere to run or hide.

The strategy begins with the first person who notices the shooter and yells “GUN!” Everyone in the room then throws whatever is available, as hard as they can, at the shooter’s face causing him to flinch, and preventing him from taking aim. Then what’s known as the “throw and go” tactic is implemented.

Upon throwing items at the shooter, the occupants rush to and swarm the shooter. The first few people are taught to attack and move the shooter’s gun hand and gun toward the ground.

At the same time or shortly after, the other swarmer’s attack and take the shooter to the ground. Students, faculty and staff are taught to strategically lay on the shooter’s extremities as well as their core area to maximize the amount of weight on the shooter.

In addition, they are taught to place ready-at-hand objects such as belts, T-shirts, etc., onto the shooter’s throat, nose and eyes to disrupt breathing and sight.

Once it is determined the shooter is no longer a threat, people are instructed to release pressure to allow breathing but maintain control on top of the shooter until the police arrive." :eek:

Larry Banaszak is the Chief of Police [sic] at Otterbein University.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/02/28/how-to-survive-school-shooting/

My, but that's complicated!

How's this for a response: Draw and RETURN FIRE.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
College: Concealed carry for students legally of age to carry at any public institution. Private institutions make their own policies.

You're on target, SFCRetired! Today was the first day here in Colorado that students could legally CC on campus!

Colorado court says students can carry guns on campus

I take great pride in this decision! I've been writing to the Colorado State Legislature, and then here online, as well as to various organizations about this issue for a couple of years.

This is a terrific decision!

More will be posted (or has been posted) in the Colorado section.

Last edited:

MamabearCali

Don't be in school! Seriously for those who can homeschool K-12 rocks! Now for college it varies state to state, but I say online courses beat the pants off having to be a sitting duck in class. Where I live if you carry to class (college) the college can throw you out if they find out, but in that case I say concealed is concealed (depending on your states laws on that). Carry concealed, carry deep. Better to lose a semesters tuition and live to find another school than to die in a hail of bullets.

It would be nice to find a university that respected my constitutional rights so OC would be a possiblity. Until then do what you gotta do. Stay safe yall.