Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC at the Polls

OC at the Polls

Could not locate the old thread about a member's interaction with the Board of Elections about the improper instructions to Precinct Chiefs about voter OC. If I recall, the member had provided the correct wording to the BOE, but never received confirmation that the corrections had been made.

I received this today from my friend and local precinct Chief:

"I was at voter training on Wednesday. A brief comment was made about allowing concealed handguns in the polling places, but the answer was a quick no in a very low tone. The Chief's handbook has been updated and there is no reference about handguns of any kind."

I took his comment to mean that he, as Precinct Chief, would not be permitted to carry and that there were now no words in the instructions regarding voter carry ... as it should be.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    Could not locate the old thread about a member's interaction with the Board of Elections about the improper instructions to Precinct Chiefs about voter OC. If I recall, the member had provided the correct wording to the BOE, but never received confirmation that the corrections had been made.

I received this today from my friend and local precinct Chief:

"I was at voter training on Wednesday. A brief comment was made about allowing concealed handguns in the polling places, but the answer was a quick no in a very low tone. The Chief's handbook has been updated and there is no reference about handguns of any kind."

I took his comment to mean that he, as Precinct Chief, would not be permitted to carry and that there were now no words in the instructions regarding voter carry ... as it should be.
    The member was Proshooter!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The member was Proshooter!
    Indeed, it WAS Proshooter. It appears that BOE removed the offending parts without replacement. I doubt that would have happened, had not Proshooter "poked" them.

I hate the search feature on VBulletin. Worthless.

I may have declared victory prematurely. This came from my friend, who is the Precinct Chief:
    " I checked my Voter's Chief book very closely as I always do before an election. I did find a reference concerning concealed and open carry hand guns. I have copied it and will give you a copy when I see you on Tuesday. Bottomline concealed yes, open carry no."

So, it seems that the BOE has not brought its directives in accordance with the law.

I replied to him:

"Does "concealed yes, open carry no" apply to precinct workers or to voters?

BOE is within their rights to dictate to you, as an employee, the manner of carrying.

However, they cannot dictate to me whether or in what manner I carry on public property. Only the Commonwealth can do that by law. (VA Code 15.2-915)."

The polling place in question is now the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk. This from the zoo website:

Who operates the Virginia Zoo?
    The City of Norfolk and the Virginia Zoological Society share the responsibility of the Virginia Zoo. The Zoological Society employs education, membership, marketing, fundraising, and special event staff. The City serves the operational needs of the Zoo, including animal care, zoo grounds and maintenance and customer service. Overall, the Virginia Zoo employs nearly 100 full- and part-time staff.

Well on Super Tuesday me and Mr.Sig, who will accompany me in a beautiful leather holster on my hip, will go to my polling place and vote for Dr. Paul. We will then spread Dr. Paul's gospel of Peace, Gold and Liberty to anybody else that goes to my polling place.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I would be very interested to see what actually made it into the handbook...

I worked on that a while ago and assumed that they had simply disregarded any of my suggestions, as I had not heard back from SBE.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

I worked on that a while ago and assumed that they had simply disregarded any of my suggestions, as I had not heard back from SBE.
    My friend, the Precinct Chief, said he would copy the entry and give it to me on Tuesday at the polls.

If I do not get arrested, I will post it on this Forum.

What agency actually supply's the handbook Jim?
    I feel an FOIA coming.

Cool

If I do not get arrested, I will post it on this Forum.
    So you won't tell us about it if you do get arrested?

Man, I thought we was all pals around here.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

IIRC, last year a bunch of people posted pics with the "I voted" Sticker on their holster!

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    IIRC, last year a bunch of people posted pics with the "I voted" Sticker on their holster!
    Won't be OC'ing this year. Have to go here this time:

PORTER TRADITIONAL SCHOOL
    Facility Address:
    15311 FOREST GROVE DRIVE
    WOODBRIDGE VA
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Super Tuesday!
    Good luck to all OC'ers at the polls and remember to take your recorders!

Now...if there was only someone to vote for

From the VCDL Alert

Today, Tuesday, March 6, there will be the Republican Presidential Primary.

The VCDL 2012 Federal Candidate Survey was mailed to the two candidates on the Primary ballot -- Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

The Survey is posted on the VCDL website:

Survey: http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/federal_survey_2012.html

Ron Paul answered the VCDL Candidate survey 100% in support of gun owners. Unfortunately, Mitt Romney has so far refused to answer VCDL's survey.

If a candidate is afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Please contact Ron Paul and thank him for his support for your rights.

Also contact Mitt Romney. Politely urge him to take a public stand on these important issues and answer the VCDL Candidate Survey.

Contact info for the two candidates:

Ron Paul 855-886-9779 chrisy@ronpaul2012.com
    Mitt Romney 857-288-3500 info@mittromney.com
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Super Tuesday!
    Good luck to all OC'ers at the polls and remember to take your recorders!

Now...if there was only someone to vote for

From the VCDL Alert

Today, Tuesday, March 6, there will be the Republican Presidential Primary.

The VCDL 2012 Federal Candidate Survey was mailed to the two candidates on the Primary ballot -- Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

The Survey is posted on the VCDL website:

Survey: http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/federal_survey_2012.html

Ron Paul answered the VCDL Candidate survey 100% in support of gun owners. Unfortunately, Mitt Romney has so far refused to answer VCDL's survey.

If a candidate is afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Please contact Ron Paul and thank him for his support for your rights.

Also contact Mitt Romney. Politely urge him to take a public stand on these important issues and answer the VCDL Candidate Survey.

Contact info for the two candidates:

Ron Paul 855-886-9779 chrisy@ronpaul2012.com
    Mitt Romney 857-288-3500 info@mittromney.com
    I voted for him, but because work dictates that we cannot possess in our vehicleseven I could not carry. Go Ron Paul!
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Well on Super Tuesday me and Mr.Sig, who will accompany me in a beautiful leather holster on my hip, will go to my polling place and vote for Dr. Paul. We will then spread Dr. Paul's gospel of Peace, Gold and Liberty to anybody else that goes to my polling place.
    I will be voting wearing my holster when I go to vote for Dr. Paul, but alas, it will be empty - Little Miss Springfield must be securely tucked away before my arrival on the grounds of the elementary school that is my polling place.

What agency actually supply's the handbook Jim?
    I feel an FOIA coming.
    The State Board of Elections
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

The State Board of Elections
    Thanks!
    BTW, are you going to dinner this month?

Only Peace, Gold and Liberty at my precinct.

I was at the polls early spreading the message of Peace, Gold and Liberty. Yes I was Open Carrying. There were only two others that came to vote during the time I was there and they were also Ron Paul supporters.

As Virginia allocates delegates by congressional district, I hope that Ron Paul wins at least a few of these districts. It would be a shame if Mitt, the gun grabber, swept the Commonwealth.

As my poling place is not a school (Pandora Lodge #2, Newport News) I had zero issues open carrying.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    Last edited by Thundar; 03-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Thanks!
    BTW, are you going to dinner this month?
    I'm going to try....
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    I did this, except my holster was empty, as I had to vote for Ron Paul at a school.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

My polling place is a school so no OC no CC. But I did my civic duty and voted. Could not stomach voting for Romney so I had to vote for Paul. I will have to throw up after I vote in Nov, but at least for the moment I am only mildly quesy.

I am quesy for a different reason. I have no food. No tea, only Coffee and Noodles. Making the stretch to not goto the grocery store. My wallet is protesting.

I OC'd at the Moose today to vote for the Doc. Of course I picked up my friend who voted for Romney, so we canceled eachother out. No problems. As of 12:30 I was the 26th or 36th person to vote. I think 26th. As the woman was asking for my IDs another woman came up "Are you a police officer?" Was politely explaining to her but was kind of hard to shuffle two conversations, it was kind of rude for a poll worker to interupt while I was signing up. She could of waited. Another man from behind the table said its perfectly legal to open carry as long as it is not posted. We all got to talking and turns out he used to be executive officer at the norfolk county rifle range, chatted for a while. Handed out ed's OC card to the woman working there. The guy also gave me a good tip to try and fix my 709slim's feed dragging. Reduce the tension from the spring and try that...

Man, its nice to have a HD voice recorder to recall names and info.... I love my smartphone.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

Excerpt (page 92) of SBE Guidance to Election Officers

My friend and Election Official gave this to me at the polls after I voted.
    Click the image to expand it to readable size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBE Guidance for Election Officials page 92.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	8077

It speaks for itself.

It speaks for itself.
    Take a look at the documents here. The page you got is from Chapter 18, Election Day.
    TFred

It speaks for itself.
    Going from memory, it appears to be the same tired old crap they always had.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

It speaks for itself.
    That is interesting. I read from one of threads regarding voting and OC/CC from awhile back (maybe a year or so ago) where an individual used his/her concealed Weapons Permit as ID to vote. Well, since there was no line today, I thought WTF, I'll try the same.

Person 1 took the permit stared at it for minutes and going through her list of acceptable ID's, then handed it down the line for others to check. More puzzled looks. It finally made it's way back to me and the lady said its not on the list of valid ID's to show at the polls, in fact, it is listed as one of the unaccepted ID's at the polls.

So I surrendered my DL and the lady said, "Well, we know who not to mess with now". She's actually a neighbor who lived down the street from me working the polls today. On my way out the same lady said, "Don't hurt anybody". I just said, have a great day ladies.

But at no time did anyone ask me if I was carrying.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast