• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Polls

GreatDaneMan

I am quesy for a different reason. I have no food. No tea, only Coffee and Noodles. Making the stretch to not goto the grocery store. My wallet is protesting.

I OC'd at the Moose today to vote for the Doc. Of course I picked up my friend who voted for Romney, so we canceled eachother out. No problems. As of 12:30 I was the 26th or 36th person to vote. I think 26th. As the woman was asking for my IDs another woman came up "Are you a police officer?" Was politely explaining to her but was kind of hard to shuffle two conversations, it was kind of rude for a poll worker to interupt while I was signing up. She could of waited. Another man from behind the table said its perfectly legal to open carry as long as it is not posted. We all got to talking and turns out he used to be executive officer at the norfolk county rifle range, chatted for a while. Handed out ed's OC card to the woman working there. The guy also gave me a good tip to try and fix my 709slim's feed dragging. Reduce the tension from the spring and try that...

Man, its nice to have a HD voice recorder to recall names and info.... I love my smartphone.

USNA69

Excerpt (page 92) of SBE Guidance to Election Officers

My friend and Election Official gave this to me at the polls after I voted.
Click the image to expand it to readable size.

SBE Guidance for Election Officials page 92.jpg

It speaks for itself.

stickslinger

My friend and Election Official gave this to me at the polls after I voted.
Click the image to expand it to readable size.

View attachment 8077

It speaks for itself.

That is interesting. I read from one of threads regarding voting and OC/CC from awhile back (maybe a year or so ago) where an individual used his/her concealed Weapons Permit as ID to vote. Well, since there was no line today, I thought WTF, I'll try the same.

Person 1 took the permit stared at it for minutes and going through her list of acceptable ID's, then handed it down the line for others to check. More puzzled looks. It finally made it's way back to me and the lady said its not on the list of valid ID's to show at the polls, in fact, it is listed as one of the unaccepted ID's at the polls.

So I surrendered my DL and the lady said, "Well, we know who not to mess with now". She's actually a neighbor who lived down the street from me working the polls today. On my way out the same lady said, "Don't hurt anybody". I just said, have a great day ladies.

But at no time did anyone ask me if I was carrying.

TFred

That is interesting. I read from one of threads regarding voting and OC/CC from awhile back (maybe a year or so ago) where an individual used his/her concealed Weapons Permit as ID to vote. Well, since there was no line today, I thought WTF, I'll try the same.

Person 1 took the permit stared at it for minutes and going through her list of acceptable ID's, then handed it down the line for others to check. More puzzled looks. It finally made it's way back to me and the lady said its not on the list of valid ID's to show at the polls, in fact, it is listed as one of the unaccepted ID's at the polls.

So I surrendered my DL and the lady said, "Well, we know who not to mess with now". She's actually a neighbor who lived down the street from me working the polls today. On my way out the same lady said, "Don't hurt anybody". I just said, have a great day ladies.

But at no time did anyone ask me if I was carrying.
See this.

Should be fine for next election, assuming the Governor signs it.

TFred

USNA69

Voting Rights Act of 1965

A question for USER ... and anybody else who wants to offer a legal opinion:

Is an OCer at any risk of being charged, if a voter files a report of voter intimidation per the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

We have pretty much worked out the Commonwealth and local issues, but we have not considered the Federales.

TFred

Is an OCer at any risk of being charged, if a voter files a report of voter intimidation per the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

We have pretty much worked out the Commonwealth and local issues, but we have not considered the Federales.
You're safe if you're a Black Panther... otherwise... not so sure.

TFred

Thundar

Will a poll worker be charged if an OCer files a report of voter intimidation?

USNA69

Will a poll worker be charged if an OCer files a report of voter intimidation?

Similar thoughts crossed my mind. What is the standard by which "intimidation" is measured? Reasonableness? Dunno. Might be mentioned in the Act.

I wondered what the response would be if I were to claim that I was "intimidated" by persons wearing cammies or reversed ball caps or skull tattoos or smallpox sores.

I wonder if intimidation is like brandishing. Rather than an overt act by the "intimidator", is it the preception of the "intimidated" which defines the offense?

If I were to OC and enter the polls, show my ID, vote and immediately depart, could the case be made that anyone was intimidated and prevented from voting?

What if I OC am prevented from voting by the Election Officer or LE? Would I have a case?

All of the above questions are rhetorical; no replies are expected.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I have at every election for the past several years used my CHP as ID at the polls. It wasn't until the bill was presented this year that I learned the CHP was not on the list of approved IDs.