• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st time gun owner

Oramac

One question I have tho, is, round tipped or hollow points? I would think round tips would have a better chance of penetrating thicker clothing. I could be wrong since I'm nowhere close to being a gun buff.

Normally, I'd say hollow point. But being that it's a much smaller round I think you may be correct in using full metal jacket rounds because of the clothing penetration issue. It may also be wise to switch for winter/summer. Hollow points in summer, and FMJ in the winter.

VW_Factor

My wife switches from FMJ to HP from winter to summer for her .380.

For a .22 even the HP's Ive seen have an extemely small hole to be considered HP. I'm not sure I would much worry about that small hole being plugged by clothing, etc. I would think it would act like a FMJ through fluffy coats, etc.

I dunno though. With .22LR I think if I was carrying for self defense I would stick with the nicest FMJ rounds possible. Even expanded there isn't a lot there to make a "big" hole with.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Ya know, that's not a half bad idear there :)

Or get REAL good at "moving head shots" then the clothing is not such an issue!

With the extremely low recoil of a 22, practicing tripple taps would not be a bad idea either. You can bust three rounds out of a 22 pretty darn fast, a lot better than you can with a p3at 380 I would have to say three times as fast IMHO.

BionicRooster

Or get REAL good at "moving head shots" then the clothing is not such an issue!

With the extremely low recoil of a 22, practicing tripple taps would not be a bad idea either. You can bust three rounds out of a 22 pretty darn fast, a lot better than you can with a p3at 380 I would have to say three times as fast IMHO.

I may do that when I go out to my friend's house out in the boonies, set up a rigged, moving target and practice, practice, practice.

And since the holster I ordered arrived today, I can finally OC, and head to the range to practice my draw + triple tap.

G30Mike

I may do that when I go out to my friend's house out in the boonies, set up a rigged, moving target and practice, practice, practice.

And since the holster I ordered arrived today, I can finally OC, and head to the range to practice my draw + triple tap.

Skateboards work great for moving targets. Grab or make a few IDPA targets out of cardboard and have at it. Another thing I wanted to mention is on the first and third Tuesday we have an IDPA match at the local indoor range. Makes for great all around firearms practice, and keeps skills sharp. Here's a pic of the target I'm talking about.
4257001d-3ab3-d158.jpg

BionicRooster

Ccw

Well, I took the class this weekend, and turned my papers into the Sheriffs office today, so in 6 weeks or less, I should get my CCW endorsement.

I do plan on OCing most the time, but there's always times when CCing is the better option.

There are .223/5.56 pistols on the market that are not long guns; however the style of carry is not consistant with the tenants of OCDO.

I have found several makers of shoulder and drop leg holsters for the AR-15 pistol. I am think about getting one of the drop leg holsters for my AR-15 pistol to use for open carry.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have found several makers of shoulder and drop leg holsters for the AR-15 pistol. I am think about getting one of the drop leg holsters for my AR-15 pistol to use for open carry.

I'd love to see a picture of THAT...

Who really cares what gun you get first? Pick one you like and buy it, then buy another one. The key is to never stop buying them.

Last edited:

BionicRooster

Well, 1000 rounds thru it and...

...I just now realize it's shooting slightly left :banghead:

My explanation(excuse) for this is I am finally used to shooting the gun and know where my bullets should be hitting, and when I aim just to the right, I am hitting it dead on...

Now, onto my realization on ammo. I initially thought CCI Mini-Mags or Remington Golds would be good as the first few hundred were jam free... I realize I was wrong, but here's my findings;

CCI Mini-Mag and Remington Gold Round Points are 100% so far (which is what my 1st few hundred rounds were)

The next batch I got was a 550 box of Remington Gold HP's, and had about 20 jams throughout the box.

Next box of 100 was CCI Mini-Mag HP's, and had 2 jams, once was during raid fire I might add.

Next 200 rounds(fired yesterday) were back to CCI Mini-Mags Round Points, back to flawless firing(and much tighter grouping, although an inch and a half to the left @ 25ft :D)

So, my findings may be of help to anyone who has a "picky" Walther P22, to fire Round Tips and not Hollow Points, and see if that makes a difference for ya :)

BionicRooster

Sighting it in made a world of difference...

Went to Crossfire the other day to do some adjusting, since I finally realized my windage was off. 2 turns of the screw(the wrong way) and whoa boy, look out now... Realized I was turning the wrong way, and it ended up being 2 turns the other direction(after readjusting for the 1st 2 turns) and my grouping is much better.

With roughly 1 second between shots, my groups were between .5" - 1" @ 25-30ft. I thought I was doing decent in the beginning, before I knew the sight were off, with 2-3" groups.

Now on your choice of firearm, there sir I do have some issues. The p-22 has some real sketchy history in the reliability category, it simply varies a lot, from work pretty darn good to breaking down within 500 rounds. This is an important criteria for a carry weapon as you do not want to find yourself in the world of a gun fight with a piece of plastic to throw at or hit those who seek to harm you.

1250 rounds thru it now, meticulously cleaned after each use, and it still looks and fires like new. It is a 2011 model, so maybe they've fixed some of the issues (or I just got lucky).

650 bucks will get you a nice combat rig new, for around 500 you can get one used, might even get lucky and find one near 400 if someone is tired of it and in a tight spot seeking a fast sale. Though not a fan myself for ergonomic reasons, you might want to put some serious thought and research into Glock's and try them at the range, they REALLY fit some folks well and have outstanding performance, not to mention a gazillion folks who can work on them and tune them to suit you should you so choose. Undoubtedly, the easiest modern firearm to get fitted to your liking.

Here next month I'll be looking to buy a .380 or possibly 9mm, so if anyone here has one they might wanna get rid of, I'm open to looking around. If nothing else, I may end up getting the Walther PK380 after talking to the guy down at CR Sales.

Last edited:

kylemoul

i was thinking of a walther pk380. for the size and design you might as well go with a 9mm. i have a ruger sr9c and it is a nice gun. i got a trigger mod to decrease the trigger pull as i didnt like the 4-5 lbs it has stock. 380 doesnt have the stopping power IMO that i am comfortable with.

MKEgal

As to why a .22 is a poor choice for self-defense... (but yes, it's better than nothing)
A friend pointed me to this website: www.handloads.com

Among other things (mostly of interest to reloaders), they have rearranged & republished info from the book Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition by Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow.
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp

That discusses one-shot-stops from various calibers, brands, weights, as well as penetration.
For .22 it is at best 40% o-s-s.
With the .380, it's generally between 67-71%. (One low outlier.)
A 9mm is generally from 78-83%.
The .40 is generally 80-94%.
.45 ranges from 57-96% giving one-shot-stops. (A group around 60%, most from 81% up.)

There's also http://www.stoppingpower.net/

ChiangShih

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but please don't OC stupid things. In a state where municipalities can still restrict OC, OCing "scary" guns is a bad idea, and it hurts the PR aspect of the movement.

Thanks.

Richieg150

Just because you can carry it, being that it legally meets the requirements of a pistol, doesnt mean it would be a good idea.If the average sheeple, doubts and fears a (regular) open carried firearm, what do you think would be the reaction of seeing you walking around with that firearm strapped to your leg?? Then if you ever had to use it.....talk about over penetration, hitting innocent bystanders,and permanent hearing loss for starters.....