• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barber Shop OC

BoomerQ

Hi, I had my first real OC experience yesterday in a Barber Shop that is adjacent to a Starbucks in Davenport. I am a new permit holder and hadn't had the bravery yet until yesterday to OC. I felt comfortable doing so in the barbershop as one usually removes their coat or jacket for a haircut. The employee clearly noticed my 1911 but made no reference to it, only the usual smalltalk about where I work. I felt good about the experience and it gives me confidence to OC somewhere else today. Thoughts? Thanks.

j4l

While I'm sure different attitudes will exist in different regions. Down my way, it's never been an issue, really. I've found, from OC in Ga., Az. and a couple other places that most folks either dont notice, dont care, will ask if you're a cop, or generally react positively.
It's a shame we have been conditioned in such a way to be nervous, or to expect adversity for carrying. But, I think that conditioning is largely self-inflicted.

I think also, it has a lot to do with how we carry ourselves,when OC, and how we present ourselves. If we went around trying to jump on the "fashion" band-wagon of hip-hop wannabes,and conducted ourselves accordingly, I doubt most reactions would be as positive or neutral. On those occasions I get to OC, I do so and just drive on like normal. I dont make a scene of it, or go around like "HEY LOOKY MEEEEE I GOTS A GUN" like some idiots have demonstrated a need to do.

Nor do I see a need to go out of my way to seek out cops to provoke into reaction on it, or to make some big political statement out of it. Just carry, drive on, be polite, and smile a lot. Most folks will nod in kind, and drive on themselves.

Tucker6900

While I'm sure different attitudes will exist in different regions. Down my way, it's never been an issue, really. I've found, from OC in Ga., Az. and a couple other places that most folks either dont notice, dont care, will ask if you're a cop, or generally react positively.
It's a shame we have been conditioned in such a way to be nervous, or to expect adversity for carrying. But, I think that conditioning is largely self-inflicted.

I think also, it has a lot to do with how we carry ourselves,when OC, and how we present ourselves. If we went around trying to jump on the "fashion" band-wagon of hip-hop wannabes,and conducted ourselves accordingly, I doubt most reactions would be as positive or neutral. On those occasions I get to OC, I do so and just drive on like normal. I dont make a scene of it, or go around like "HEY LOOKY MEEEEE I GOTS A GUN" like some idiots have demonstrated a need to do.

Nor do I see a need to go out of my way to seek out cops to provoke into reaction on it, or to make some big political statement out of it. Just carry, drive on, be polite, and smile a lot. Most folks will nod in kind, and drive on themselves.

+1000

Its all about your attitude while carrying. Ive been open carrying for 4 years. Holstering my S&W is just as natural a routine as putting my wallet in my pocket. And it gets treated the same way. If I dont need it, I dont touch it. I dont go around trying to show people my wallet.

BoomerQ

Thank you for the nice comments, especially regarding having a friendly attitude. I am not a big man, and with a heart condition, i feel a greater need for self-protection and want to eventually feel as strange going out w/o my handgun as I would my wallet. Points well taken. Thank you very much!

j4l

Thank you for the nice comments, especially regarding having a friendly attitude. I am not a big man, and with a heart condition, i feel a greater need for self-protection and want to eventually feel as strange going out w/o my handgun as I would my wallet. Points well taken. Thank you very much!

No problem, it's all just common-sense, right?
I mean: what's more likely to go-over well, and put folks near you at ease?

The adult male who struts around with with his pants half-down to his knees and a 9mm tucked into the waistband of his boxers,his hat on sideways and projecting attitude?

Or the mall-cop, tactical-ted wannabe with a balaclava, thigh-drop nylon rig, and Hi-teks who's trying to look like he's going to kick some doors in,and tackle some Ninjas while hanging out in Starbucks?

Or the guy who presents himself like he knows how to pull his own pants up, and keep them there, wears his hat straight like a human, while projecting a polite, friendly presence?

There's already far too many folks who are squeemish about some of us packing our hardware in the open to begin with. I just think it's a better (for all of us) approach to get those folks accustomed to seeing us out and about-to the point where they take it as normal as wearing boots.