• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to "gift" a gun to a family member?

mk4

wrap it up, put a bow on it and give it to her. :)
as long as you, the private transferor, have no reason to believe she's proscribed, you're free to do what you wish. no documentation required.

as a thoughtful addition, maybe put a gift certificate for some training in the package?
( cue Proshooter... ;-) )

Last edited:

mk4

Wolf raises a good point. if she's a va resident, just hand it over to her as long as she understands the responsibility that goes with it. if she's not a va resident, it's a bit more complicated, but not generally difficult.

VA Big E

She still lives at home and wil be a senior in high school. So i will present it to her for her b-day and offer to pay for training. We do go to the range when time permits, and she likes to shoot it. I didn't realize it would be this easy. I thought there was going to be some paperwork to put the gun in her name. Thanks for the input and hopefully she will be thrilled.

mk4

nope! you're good-to-go. her possession will be her 'ownership', at least in va.
good on you for introducing her to shooting! :banana:

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
No formality at all. Ownership is different from possession - she can own the gun now, even though she's not allowed to be in possession absent adult supervision. Title to property passes when it is the intent of the donor to make the gift. You can do that by telling her that the gun is hers, now, and she can actually receive it when she turns 18.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I didn't realize it would be this easy. I thought there was going to be some paperwork to put the gun in her name.

Don't say that too loud or some idiot will try to pass a law. Like the others say...just give it to her. I gave my son his first gun at age 6, a chipmunk rifle. At age 18, he took possession as User said, at age 37...he gave it to his daughter.

VA Big E

Don't say that too loud or some idiot will try to pass a law. Like the others say...just give it to her. I gave my son his first gun at age 6, a chipmunk rifle. At age 18, he took possession as User said, at age 37...he gave it to his daughter.

I will be sure just to calmly present it to her this year...and thanks again for all of the replies and information.

The Airframer

Procedures for out of state?

I know it was mentioned that gifting a gun to a resident of another state raises certain difficulties. What do I need to do to gift a Virginia bought gun to a North Carolinian? Thinking of getting the old man a new piece for fathers day.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I know it was mentioned that gifting a gun to a resident of another state raises certain difficulties. What do I need to do to gift a Virginia bought gun to a North Carolinian? Thinking of getting the old man a new piece for fathers day.

All transfers between residents of different states require an FFL on the receiving end. You can carry the gun to NC (assuming it's legal for you to do so there, I don't know about their state law - I'm talking federal here), and hand-deliver it to the FFL you choose, who can record it, do the background check, and turn it over to "the old man". Or you could just stay in Virginia and give it to an old man here; me for example.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
All transfers between residents of different states require an FFL on the receiving end. You can carry the gun to NC (assuming it's legal for you to do so there, I don't know about their state law - I'm talking federal here), and hand-deliver it to the FFL you choose, who can record it, do the background check, and turn it over to "the old man". Or you could just stay in Virginia and give it to an old man here; me for example.

Thanks user, I may look into buying it in NC to avoid the paperwork if possible.

That won't help if you're a VA resident, and the person you want to gift it to is a NC resident.... Also, where the gun was BOUGHT is irrelevant, only the residency of the parties involved... Not to mention that you can't legally buy a handgun from a dealer in NC if you're a VA resident.

Roscoe

The Airframer

Not sure how NC views residency. I'm active duty, stationed (and sleep) in VA Beach, pay state taxes in NC, as NC is my home of record (and i own a home there). If i needed to (and most likely will) run the state background check prior to transferring possession, any idea how much that would cost me?