• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stone Brewing Co.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Though I try not to buy anything made in Kalifornia, I want to say every beer I've ever consumed from them is top notch. I'm currently enjoying a "Ruination IPA", and it is delightful. Most people may have seen/tried the "Arrogant Bastard Ale". It is good stuff, but VERY stout and most people wouldn't like it right away. The "Double Bastard" IMO is actually better. It's not quite as powerful I guess. I'm no conisuer (sp?) so I don't know how to describe it. So if you actually like drinking beer, REAL BEER, it's something too try.

I still laugh at Pudweiser drinkers who act like "beer drinkers". They don't like beer, they just like to pee a lot.

sudden valley gunner

Though I try not to buy anything made in Kalifornia, I want to say every beer I've ever consumed from them is top notch. I'm currently enjoying a "Ruination IPA", and it is delightful. Most people may have seen/tried the "Arrogant Bastard Ale". It is good stuff, but VERY stout and most people wouldn't like it right away. The "Double Bastard" IMO is actually better. It's not quite as powerful I guess. I'm no conisuer (sp?) so I don't know how to describe it. So if you actually like drinking beer, REAL BEER, it's something too try.

I still laugh at Pudweiser drinkers who act like "beer drinkers". They don't like beer, they just like to pee a lot.

I love IPA's and living in the northwest we have some real great micro breweries. I never drank beer, until I discovered real brews.

A local area brewery/Pizzaria has a real great scotch ale that you gotta be careful on because its potent but goes down so smooth. I can buy a growler for 10 bucks to bring home.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I love IPA's and living in the northwest we have some real great micro breweries. I never drank beer, until I discovered real brews.

A local area brewery/Pizzaria has a real great scotch ale that you gotta be careful on because its potent but goes down so smooth. I can buy a growler for 10 bucks to bring home.

I never heard of growlers until I visited friends in Buffalo NY a couple years ago. A distributor called Consumers puts a variety of beers on tap and sells growlers of them for a variety of prices. 10 bucks is probably the average.

Too be honest though I didn't care for the growler experience. I bought a 6 pack of the same brew, but tried it in the growler first. I thought it was flat, and no better than a common pilsner, but when I finally opened a bottle from the 6 pack I enjoyed it.

We need more microbrews though. Speaking of scotch ale, Samuel Adams had one I drank about 7 years ago that was great, but I don't think they bottle it anymore.

Tawnos

Stone is great, and I agree, Double Bastard is way better than Arrogant Bastard (though it's actually more powerful! - 10.5% to AB's 7.2%, and comparable IBUs to boot). I've always thought of it as "the beer Arrogant Bastard wanted to be." Arrogant Bastard, IMO, doesn't balance the hop oils with enough malt sweetness and body to end up enjoyable. Ruination, though, mmmmm, it goes so over the top with hops that you literally experience palette shift (if you're trying one right now, have a regular IPA afterwards and see just how... mild ... it tastes).

Other beers of theirs that are "must tries" are their IPA (very to style of a west coast IPA) and their Imperial Russian Stout. If you ever do find yourself stuck in the hellhole that is the LA region, Stone's brewery/restaurant is worth a visit.

For beers in a similar fashion, try Pliny the Elder, Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA, and Green Flash IPA. All are top notch.

Tawnos

I never heard of growlers until I visited friends in Buffalo NY a couple years ago. A distributor called Consumers puts a variety of beers on tap and sells growlers of them for a variety of prices. 10 bucks is probably the average.

Too be honest though I didn't care for the growler experience. I bought a 6 pack of the same brew, but tried it in the growler first. I thought it was flat, and no better than a common pilsner, but when I finally opened a bottle from the 6 pack I enjoyed it.

We need more microbrews though. Speaking of scotch ale, Samuel Adams had one I drank about 7 years ago that was great, but I don't think they bottle it anymore.

Growlers are only really good when filled with a counter-pressure bottle filler. Basically, the growler is filled with CO2, then corked and brought up to keg pressure. After it's at keg pressure, the beer line is opened and the CO2 pressure lessened slightly. This fills the growler from the bottom with minimal pressure reduction, resulting in beer that is still fresh and hasn't blown its CO2. Not a lot of places do that, most just use a tube that fills from the bottom, and you end up with much flatter beer that is often quite oxygenated by the time you get to it.

For Scotch Ale, check out Alesmith Wee Heavy, Orkney Brewery SkullSplitter, or Bellhaven Wee Heavy.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Stone is great, and I agree, Double Bastard is way better than Arrogant Bastard (though it's actually more powerful! - 10.5% to AB's 7.2%, and comparable IBUs to boot). I've always thought of it as "the beer Arrogant Bastard wanted to be." Arrogant Bastard, IMO, doesn't balance the hop oils with enough malt sweetness and body to end up enjoyable. Ruination, though, mmmmm, it goes so over the top with hops that you literally experience palette shift (if you're trying one right now, have a regular IPA afterwards and see just how... mild ... it tastes).

Other beers of theirs that are "must tries" are their IPA (very to style of a west coast IPA) and their Imperial Russian Stout. If you ever do find yourself stuck in the hellhole that is the LA region, Stone's brewery/restaurant is worth a visit.

For beers in a similar fashion, try Pliny the Elder, Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA, and Green Flash IPA. All are top notch.

Dogfishhead 90 Mins are good, the $10 4 packs make it a luxury. I like the 60 Min too, and the Midas Touch they put out was pretty awsome. History Channel did a good show with them if I recall.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Growlers are only really good when filled with a counter-pressure bottle filler. Basically, the growler is filled with CO2, then corked and brought up to keg pressure. After it's at keg pressure, the beer line is opened and the CO2 pressure lessened slightly. This fills the growler from the bottom with minimal pressure reduction, resulting in beer that is still fresh and hasn't blown its CO2. Not a lot of places do that, most just use a tube that fills from the bottom, and you end up with much flatter beer that is often quite oxygenated by the time you get to it.

For Scotch Ale, check out Alesmith Wee Heavy, Orkney Brewery SkullSplitter, or Bellhaven Wee Heavy.

The Bellhaven is available here, and it's good too. I'll look up the others.

Thanks.

sudden valley gunner

When I go out to eat I get the Mack and Jack African Amber very tasty on draft, and goes really well with just about anything I like to eat.

I tried KISW, The Mens room beer the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how well done it was. I think its called The Original Red, and it's brewed by Elysian brewery. It's a good beer for around 2 P.M. if your day is winding down early.

I'll have to try some of the others mentioned.

HandyHamlet

}gasp{
How gauche.

Beer is beneath your station my Lord. It is for the filthy masses. Perhaps you should steer the conversation towards Cubans and Single Malt? Or Pernod-Ricard Perrier-Jouet? Make haste Sir, I beseech you!

Last edited:

ManInBlack

One fancy beer and a guy becomes Little Lord Fauntleroy. All hail the new aristocrat.

I'm just picturing him getting toasted on expensive California beer, alternating Rush and Hannity replays at maximum volume, while screaming "BOMB 'EM ALL!!!!"

HandyHamlet

I'm just picturing him getting toasted on expensive California beer, alternating Rush and Hannity replays at maximum volume, while screaming "BOMB 'EM ALL!!!!"

Thank you for the laugh! I picture him getting his ass kicked at the next BBQ for only bringing a four pack of expensive sh*t.

[video=youtube;3X8istCTeQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8istCTeQE[/video]

Last edited:

Tawnos

When I go out to eat I get the Mack and Jack African Amber very tasty on draft, and goes really well with just about anything I like to eat.

I tried KISW, The Mens room beer the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how well done it was. I think its called The Original Red, and it's brewed by Elysian brewery. It's a good beer for around 2 P.M. if your day is winding down early.

I'll have to try some of the others mentioned.

Did the M&J brewery tour yesterday (the brewery is about 3 miles from my house). It was one of the best I've been on, as it was just my fiance and I and we got to talk to the brewer and see everything. That said, I don't really fancy any of their beers, unfortunately. They have a huge local following, but there's nothing from them which I'd qualify as "if you like beer and haven't tried this, you're missing out."

For that, I'd have to point to Black Raven brewery in Redmond. They have some of the best beer not only locally, but in the state. From the Trickster IPA La Petit Mort barrel aged sour brown, they hit almost all the right notes. The only one to skip there is their kristalweissen, a shame since it's a style that can be awesome when done right.

sudden valley gunner

Did the M&J brewery tour yesterday (the brewery is about 3 miles from my house). It was one of the best I've been on, as it was just my fiance and I and we got to talk to the brewer and see everything. That said, I don't really fancy any of their beers, unfortunately. They have a huge local following, but there's nothing from them which I'd qualify as "if you like beer and haven't tried this, you're missing out."

For that, I'd have to point to Black Raven brewery in Redmond. They have some of the best beer not only locally, but in the state. From the Trickster IPA La Petit Mort barrel aged sour brown, they hit almost all the right notes. The only one to skip there is their kristalweissen, a shame since it's a style that can be awesome when done right.

Does Black Raven Bottle or is it something I can only get if I travel down to the Eastside?

My cousin is starting up a brewery in Wenatchee...I have yet to try any of his brews yet that the bastard keeps promising me he'll get me some.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
This evening I tried "Chicken Killer" Barley Wine Ale from Santa Fe Brewing Co in New Mexico. Good stuff. 10% alcohol too. So pretty soon I'll be listening to Mark Levin and Limbaugh howling "Nuke 'em!!!".

BTW, I don't listen too Hannity. He's always got some dip$#!t bed wetter he's debating and I don't need too hear the leftwing crap. I was a lib a long time ago, so I already know what sort of asinine crap they have too say. Even though Hannity makes a fool of these idiots it's not entertaining. I don't want "fair and balanced", I want pure unadulterated right wing propaganda, and good beer. Even if it comes from places over populated with idiots.

Like Omegang Brewery in NY State. You can't throw a rock without hitting a moonbat up there. They don't make any sense, but they make good beer.

Tawnos

This evening I tried "Chicken Killer" Barley Wine Ale from Santa Fe Brewing Co in New Mexico. Good stuff. 10% alcohol too. So pretty soon I'll be listening to Mark Levin and Limbaugh howling "Nuke 'em!!!".

BTW, I don't listen too Hannity. He's always got some dip$#!t bed wetter he's debating and I don't need too hear the leftwing crap. I was a lib a long time ago, so I already know what sort of asinine crap they have too say. Even though Hannity makes a fool of these idiots it's not entertaining. I don't want "fair and balanced", I want pure unadulterated right wing propaganda, and good beer. Even if it comes from places over populated with idiots.

Like Omegang Brewery in NY State. You can't throw a rock without hitting a moonbat up there. They don't make any sense, but they make good beer.

Whatever floats your boat for politics.

For beer, though, Ommegang is quite good, their "Three Philosophers" is awesome, though seems to be a hangover-causer for me. Another good beer in a similar style and from a close place is anything from Unibroue - especially La Fin du Monde and Maudite. For barleywine, Firestone Walker Abacus may be the best beer ever. It's truly amazing, both in style and overall.