• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stone Brewing Co.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Whatever floats your boat for politics.

For beer, though, Ommegang is quite good, their "Three Philosophers" is awesome, though seems to be a hangover-causer for me. Another good beer in a similar style and from a close place is anything from Unibroue - especially La Fin du Monde and Maudite. For barleywine, Firestone Walker Abacus may be the best beer ever. It's truly amazing, both in style and overall.

You're entitled to your beliefs as well.

I once shared them, in my endeavors to prove my opposition wrong, I found out I was wrong.

I've
tried the La Fin du Monde and Maudite, they're great too. Gulden Draak is one of my fav's and is widely available. I love the Three Philosophers, it's alcohol content can knock you on your ass, but I've not had a hangover issue. I did have one once with "Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout". A 4 pack of those can get you tore up.

If you go to a BBQ with one and get your ass kicked, it's probably because you're a douchebag, and you go too BBQ's with bigger douchebags.

HandyHamlet

If you go to a BBQ with one and get your ass kicked, it's probably because you're a douchebag, and you go too BBQ's with bigger douchebags.

So sad. Tiny little ego in blue. Thinks the world revolves around him. And he is the first to discover micro-brew.

One day my little blue infant you will discover that every beer has it's place. And time. And the only shame in the whole thing is thinking you, your taste, and opinion somehow matters.

Tawnos

Yet that video doesn't reflect my beliefs. E.g. I don't "hate America", a ludicrous claim by a political pundit fishing for your money. He also sets up a false dilemma (promoting teenage abstinence versus teenage promiscuity), appeals to tradition and fear (morality and the destruction of America's), and other such fallacies. It's 45 minutes of a guy who is speaking his opinion, yet failing to recognize his own internal contradictions.

Gulden Draak is too sweet for me (man, I've tried way too many beers ;) ). Haven't tried any beers from the Brooklyn brewery (not available here), but Bourbon County Stout is amazing if you can get it. Much like your description, bring a four pack and you'll see if your friends have an inner ******* that needs to be let out (or if they sit around laughing like my friends did).

Tawnos

So sad. Tiny little ego in blue. Thinks the world revolves around him. And he is the first to discover micro-brew.

One day my little blue infant you will discover that every beer has it's place. And time. And the only shame in the whole thing is thinking you, your taste, and opinion somehow matters.

Bad beers have their place - in somebody else's fridge ;)

Life's too short to drink bad beer.

HandyHamlet

Bad beers have their place - in somebody else's fridge ;)

Life's too short to drink bad beer.

Bad beer in your opinion. Some live by skunked imports in green bottles. Some would not clean their bong with it. :p

How do you make beer and brats?

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Projecting much little ducky?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Yet that video doesn't reflect my beliefs. E.g. I don't "hate America", a ludicrous claim by a political pundit fishing for your money. He also sets up a false dilemma (promoting teenage abstinence versus teenage promiscuity), appeals to tradition and fear (morality and the destruction of America's), and other such fallacies. It's 45 minutes of a guy who is speaking his opinion, yet failing to recognize his own internal contradictions.

Gulden Draak is too sweet for me (man, I've tried way too many beers ;) ). Haven't tried any beers from the Brooklyn brewery (not available here), but Bourbon County Stout is amazing if you can get it. Much like your description, bring a four pack and you'll see if your friends have an inner ******* that needs to be let out (or if they sit around laughing like my friends did).

I'm not going to argue politics with you here on this thread. I've been done with that a long time ago. It's pointless.

The one thing we do share is an appreciation of fine fermented beverages (and guns), and I prefer to limit our exchanges to that variable. Past instances where we've clashed notwithstanding, your knowledge on these matters intrigues me.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Stone

Purely by coincidence, I opened a Stone product last night -- Vertical Epic. Didn't realize when I bought it that it was brewed with chiles and cinnamon.

NOT my favorite. Drinkable, particularly if I didn't inhale as I was tasting, but not something I'll ever try again.

Tawnos

Purely by coincidence, I opened a Stone product last night -- Vertical Epic. Didn't realize when I bought it that it was brewed with chiles and cinnamon.

NOT my favorite. Drinkable, particularly if I didn't inhale as I was tasting, but not something I'll ever try again.

This year's vertical epic was weird. Also not a favorite, and may be the worst beer I've had from them.

Tawnos

Bad beer in your opinion. Some live by skunked imports in green bottles. Some would not clean their bong with it. :p

How do you make beer and brats?

Yeah, bad beer in my opinion. Which is generally beer which is bought because "it's cheap" or "because I can drink it all day" or similar reasons. Don't get me wrong, there are cheap beers and beers you can drink all day that are good beers. However, the reason you're buying them is "they taste good" instead of any other reason.

HandyHamlet

However, the reason you're buying them is "they taste good" instead of any other reason.

Beer reasoning.
Bad beer for Beer Hunter. Good (enough) tasting canned beer for cooking and beer bongs (if the rookies do not have kegs). Something else for all day/volley ball/beach/lawn mowing/working on the car/fishing beer. Then the low carb ultra light bottles only the women will drink... The craft brews and seasonal micro brews for the more discerning and appreciative friends. The special meal/occasion beers. The Half and Half beers. The Pilsner Flute. The Bavarian Mug. Trappist beer. Then the all important emergency beer stash for after the good whiskey is gone, it's 2:30am, the neighbors haven't called the cops yet, and you are still only half way through the "F's" in the record collection.

Life is too short for one beer.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Beer reasoning.
Bad beer for Beer Hunter. Good (enough) tasting canned beer for cooking and beer bongs (if the rookies do not have kegs). Something else for all day/volley ball/beach/lawn mowing/working on the car/fishing beer. Then the low carb ultra light bottles only the women will drink... The craft brews and seasonal micro brews for the more discerning and appreciative friends. The special meal/occasion beers. The Half and Half beers. The Pilsner Flute. The Bavarian Mug. Trappist beer. Then the all important emergency beer stash for after the good whiskey is gone, it's 2:30am, the neighbors haven't called the cops yet, and you are still only half way through the "F's" in the record collection.

Life is too short for one beer.

No bad beer. My good enough beer is usually the "all day" beer, generally a German hefeweizen (Ayinger Brau Weiss) via keg. Tell the women to stop being irrational and drinking "ultra light beer" - that sh'ts not allowed here. Craft brews when I can, which generally includes meals and special occasions. The rest all fall in line. But no bad beer.