Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 131

Thread: Gundealers and instant checks

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Gundealers and instant checks

    Grapeshot and I came across some eye opening information about the instant checks and how lucky we were that all of the idiotic "Give em to the Feds" bills died.

    More on that later as FOIA's come back.


    In the meantime, I'm keeping a list of Gun Dealers that honor the 72 hour rule and give the gun to the customer without a response.
    They will be aligned with the forces of light and hopefully their business will flourish.

    The ones on the list that won't, will be aligned with the forces of dark and hopefully they know how to flip burgers.

    First on the list is Greentops. They just started honoring the 72 hour rule this year.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-03-2012 at 08:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Will you be releasing your list of dealers?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Will you be releasing your list of dealers?
    Yep!

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I'll leave you with a question about the "use the Feds" laws.
    How would you like to be on hold for 145 days?

    There is a simple and I think a solution that will easily pass the GA next year. I'm going to discuss that, Castle Doctrine and Constitutional carry at some of the end of the session parties next week.

    Then the steam roller program starts.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Grapeshot and I came across some eye opening information about the instant checks and how lucky we were that all of the idiotic "Give em to the Feds" bills died.

    More on that later as FOIA's come back.


    In the meantime, I'm keeping a list of Gun Dealers that honor the 72 hour rule and give the gun to the customer without a response.
    They will be aligned with the forces of light and hopefully their business will flourish.

    The ones on the list that won't, will be aligned with the forces of dark and hopefully they know how to flip burgers.

    First on the list is Greentops. They just started honoring the 72 hour rule this year.
    Indeed one of the most informative discussions from the inside out that I've had an a few years. Good ideas sometime come from unexpected sources.

    It was a good day at the office.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'll leave you with a question about the "use the Feds" laws.
    How would you like to be on hold for 145 days?

    There is a simple and I think a solution that will easily pass the GA next year. I'm going to discuss that, Castle Doctrine and Constitutional carry at some of the end of the session parties next week.

    Then the steam roller program starts.
    Constitutional Carry, Dan's Castle Doctrine codification and full state preemption would be a great trifecta!

    Let's roll!
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  7. #7
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'll leave you with a question about the "use the Feds" laws.
    How would you like to be on hold for 145 days?

    There is a simple and I think a solution that will easily pass the GA next year. I'm going to discuss that, Castle Doctrine and Constitutional carry at some of the end of the session parties next week.

    Then the steam roller program starts.

    If you pass the background check you should be allowed to carry a gun CC'ed in the state... What is the difference between a background check from gun dealer and local PD when apply CHP?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-03-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hospers, IA
    Posts
    2

    No more Dunham's

    Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by swjslj View Post
    Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.
    Welcome to OCDO.

    Suggest you repost this on the Iowa sub-forum rather than the Virginia one as you have done.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...ay.php?99-Iowa
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    What no one seems to get is that dealers who sell the gun and wait beyond the statutory period for results to come back are in violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Once the gun can be lawfully transferred, they must transfer it.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    This is a band aid on the real problem. Waiting 3 days, or 10 days, what's the difference?

    Even if dealers honor the 72 hour rule, Virginia has created a 3 day wait, a far cry from being an Instant Check.

    Or basically what a lot of people are now calling a 3 day cooling off period.
    Well that's real helpful Sheriff!

    This isn't intended to be a band aid or anything other than winnowing out he bad dealers from the good.
    Just because someone owns a gun or has an FFL, doesn't mean they are on the right side of it.

    There is a problem, but I can't put on a leotard and wave my magic wand and make it all better!
    There were bills introduced this year that were unacceptable and would have made the problem worse.

    There is a solution and it's being worked on. It's also a year away from being and then if it passes, 4 more months before being implemented and even then, the way I understand it...another 45 days to get it in action.

    As far as what that solution is, I'll let the cat out of the bag when we've finished gathering all the information and the group has decided on the best route.

    Until then, standing on a soapbox and spouting off about band aids isn't going to do much but that's my opinion and I'm just a bad tempered old man that likes the back woods....as one of the NOVAites recently suggested.

    If you have a better idea....have at it and I'll be more than happy to let you.
    These people sell nice wands:
    http://www.alivans.com/choose-your-wand.htm

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    49

    Two min background check

    I went to the gun show yesterday and did not want to wait the 30min on the street just to get into the parking lot. ( And Brady said gun sales are not up LOL ) Since I knew which pistol I wanted, I drove down the street to DeGoff's, the check took all of two min. With the show as busy as it was there was no delay. One of the lucky one's I guess.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    If you pass the background check you should be allowed to carry a gun CC'ed in the state... What is the difference between a background check from gun dealer and local PD when apply CHP?

    You've been drinking the Kool-aid...
    Why should a background check be required?????

    I don't see "thou shall not be infringed" only if thee passes a background check first.......

    I your defense you might be too young to remember the days of cash and carry.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  14. #14
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,964
    We should be able to participate in either system to the maximum extent possible.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    This is a band aid on the real problem. Waiting 3 days, or 10 days, what's the difference?

    Even if dealers honor the 72 hour rule, Virginia has created a 3 day wait, a far cry from being an Instant Check.

    Or basically what a lot of people are now calling a 3 day cooling off period.
    Believe it or not, sometimes there's method to the madness, Sheriff. The method comes from discussions with various dealers and some of their customers over time. Whether this helps or not, time will tell.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    I do have a better idea, but only about 1/10th of 1% of the Virginia population would play along. Namely, if everybody in Virginia stopped buying guns, it wouldn't be long before the gun dealers would be up in arms and getting the "Instant Check" problem fixed real. And I mean REAL QUICK! I think most gun owners in Virginia could go at least 12 months without having to buy a new firearm.

    But, it's just like "gas out" days. How many people really refuse to buy gas on "gas out" days? About 1/10th of 1%!

    I am a grumpy ole man too. LOL!
    Are you saying that OHGAM was excessive?

    I bet if you could get everyone to not fly for one day, the airlines would take TSA to task too.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  17. #17
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    You've been drinking the Kool-aid...
    Why should a background check be required?????

    I don't see "thou shall not be infringed" only if thee passes a background check first.......

    I your defense you might be too young to remember the days of cash and carry.
    Only stories, I have heard from the older guys. Of days of such freedom, that the young ones were about 12 or so, went to the store and bought rifle/handgun/ammo and went shooting. Today thats a no-no.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Only stories, I have heard from the older guys. Of days of such freedom, that the young ones were about 12 or so, went to the store and bought rifle/handgun/ammo and went shooting. Today thats a no-no.
    Not just the ammo - you could buy the rifle, pistol, shotgun if you could see over the counter or lick the stamp for mail order.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/de...=posts&t=75806

    Look at the prices and dream.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not just the ammo - you could buy the rifle, pistol, shotgun if you could see over the counter or lick the stamp for mail order.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/de...=posts&t=75806

    Look at the prices and dream.
    Yep...I remember Mom taking me into Harrisonburg (the nearest BIG city) and she went shopping at Joseph Ney's and I walked to the A&N store (They actually sold military surplus in those days).

    That day at the tender age of 12 or so, I bought a 6.5 Italian Carcano for $15.00 (No Tax) and a box of shells for $0.50, and carried it back to the parking lot without any raised eyebrows.

    That's how I know Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside, with that gun!

    Anyway...the good old days and no blood in the streets either.

    I bought a couple of pistols when I was in military school, at the Jolly Rodger Antique Shop. My pride and joy in those days was a 455 Webley I converted to 45ACP, that I bought there. I paid $22.00 for it.

    There was always a background check. The Clerk would look down at you and say "Your folks know you're getting this"? If you responded "Yes Sir" background check was over but if you answered "Yeah" you would be put on research and he'd say...."What's your phone number"?
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-05-2012 at 10:29 AM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Yep, my Grandma took me to Martin Retting's in CA to get my first handgun a Ruger Flat top in .357mag. and to Montgomery Wards to get my first bolt action 22LR.


    As for the background check... My Grandma asked/told me "you not going to get in any trouble with these are you!?"

    A good friend got a M2A2 Carbine through mail order via the NRA for like $17, it was suppose to be a M1 carbine, he took the Amenesty when it was offered in the 80's. The gun has a caring and loving home.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-05-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    --snip--

    A good friend got a M2A2 Carbine through mail order via the NRA for like $17, it was suppose to be a M1 carbine, he took the Amenesty when it was offered in the 80's. The gun has a caring and loving home.
    Would your friend like to triple his money AND make a friend for life?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Would your friend like to triple his money AND make a friend for life?
    Hahaha....I already tried that......
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  23. #23
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    There's the probem though. If we come up with a "no fly" day, only about 1/10th of 1% of the population would play along. And the airlines wouldn't even notice it. Get 99% to play along for a month, and the airlines could have TSA disbanded totally. In a month, the airlines would be laying off pilots and staff...... and facing bankruptcy.

    People in this country have no spine. They will not band together to fight an injustice.

    Virginia gun owners will not band together and refuse to buy any firearm for 12 months. It will never happen, even though it would be a very quick fix to the instant check problems.

    I myself am already on strike. If I walk into a gun shop, select a firearm, and the instant check is not completed within an hour.... I tell the dealer to cancel the transaction and say goodbye.
    Many people in this country believe that TSA makes them safer and they willing go through the civil rights violation because its 'necessary' to ensure safe travel. I remain unconvinced that TSA serves any purpose other then violating my privacy and x-ray me for non-medical purposes. Sure the scanners dont' save nude images... more reasons I have voted for Ron Paul.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

  24. #24
    Regular Member speed41ae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    What no one seems to get is that dealers who sell the gun and wait beyond the statutory period for results to come back are in violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Once the gun can be lawfully transferred, they must transfer it.
    I filled out my paperwork on Friday for a handgun. Does this mean that I should get my handgun on Wednesday even if the check has not come through yet?

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by speed41ae View Post
    I filled out my paperwork on Friday for a handgun. Does this mean that I should get my handgun on Wednesday even if the check has not come through yet?
    The law allows you to speed. If the dealer won't do it, let me know and I'll add them to the bad dealer list, if they do, the good dealer list.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •