• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gundealers and instant checks

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Grapeshot and I came across some eye opening information about the instant checks and how lucky we were that all of the idiotic "Give em to the Feds" bills died.

More on that later as FOIA's come back.

In the meantime, I'm keeping a list of Gun Dealers that honor the 72 hour rule and give the gun to the customer without a response.
They will be aligned with the forces of light and hopefully their business will flourish.

The ones on the list that won't, will be aligned with the forces of dark and hopefully they know how to flip burgers.

First on the list is Greentops. They just started honoring the 72 hour rule this year.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll leave you with a question about the "use the Feds" laws.
How would you like to be on hold for 145 days?

There is a simple and I think a solution that will easily pass the GA next year. I'm going to discuss that, Castle Doctrine and Constitutional carry at some of the end of the session parties next week.

Then the steam roller program starts.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot and I came across some eye opening information about the instant checks and how lucky we were that all of the idiotic "Give em to the Feds" bills died.

More on that later as FOIA's come back.

In the meantime, I'm keeping a list of Gun Dealers that honor the 72 hour rule and give the gun to the customer without a response.
They will be aligned with the forces of light and hopefully their business will flourish.

The ones on the list that won't, will be aligned with the forces of dark and hopefully they know how to flip burgers.

First on the list is Greentops. They just started honoring the 72 hour rule this year.

Indeed one of the most informative discussions from the inside out that I've had an a few years. Good ideas sometime come from unexpected sources.

It was a good day at the office. :cool:

mk4

There is a simple and I think a solution that will easily pass the GA next year. I'm going to discuss that, Castle Doctrine and Constitutional carry at some of the end of the session parties next week.

Constitutional Carry, Dan's Castle Doctrine codification and full state preemption would be a great trifecta!

Let's roll!

ocholsteroc

If you pass the background check you should be allowed to carry a gun CC'ed in the state... What is the difference between a background check from gun dealer and local PD when apply CHP?
:banghead:

Last edited:

swjslj

No more Dunham's

Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.

Welcome to OCDO.

Suggest you repost this on the Iowa sub-forum rather than the Virginia one as you have done.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?99-Iowa

Sheriff

This is a band aid on the real problem. Waiting 3 days, or 10 days, what's the difference?

Even if dealers honor the 72 hour rule, Virginia has created a 3 day wait, a far cry from being an Instant Check.

Or basically what a lot of people are now calling a 3 day cooling off period.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What no one seems to get is that dealers who sell the gun and wait beyond the statutory period for results to come back are in violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Once the gun can be lawfully transferred, they must transfer it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is a band aid on the real problem. Waiting 3 days, or 10 days, what's the difference?

Even if dealers honor the 72 hour rule, Virginia has created a 3 day wait, a far cry from being an Instant Check.

Well that's real helpful Sheriff!

This isn't intended to be a band aid or anything other than winnowing out he bad dealers from the good.
Just because someone owns a gun or has an FFL, doesn't mean they are on the right side of it.

There is a problem, but I can't put on a leotard and wave my magic wand and make it all better!
There were bills introduced this year that were unacceptable and would have made the problem worse.

There is a solution and it's being worked on. It's also a year away from being and then if it passes, 4 more months before being implemented and even then, the way I understand it...another 45 days to get it in action.

As far as what that solution is, I'll let the cat out of the bag when we've finished gathering all the information and the group has decided on the best route.

Until then, standing on a soapbox and spouting off about band aids isn't going to do much but that's my opinion and I'm just a bad tempered old man that likes the back woods....as one of the NOVAites recently suggested.

If you have a better idea....have at it and I'll be more than happy to let you.
These people sell nice wands:
http://www.alivans.com/choose-your-wand.htm

Docgmt

Two min background check

I went to the gun show yesterday and did not want to wait the 30min on the street just to get into the parking lot. ( And Brady said gun sales are not up LOL ) Since I knew which pistol I wanted, I drove down the street to DeGoff's, the check took all of two min. With the show as busy as it was there was no delay. One of the lucky one's I guess.

Marco

If you pass the background check you should be allowed to carry a gun CC'ed in the state... What is the difference between a background check from gun dealer and local PD when apply CHP?
:banghead:

You've been drinking the Kool-aid...
Why should a background check be required?????

I don't see "thou shall not be infringed" only if thee passes a background check first.......

I your defense you might be too young to remember the days of cash and carry.

Last edited:

VCDL President

Centurion

Believe it or not, sometimes there's method to the madness, Sheriff. The method comes from discussions with various dealers and some of their customers over time. Whether this helps or not, time will tell.

Sheriff

If you have a better idea....have at it and I'll be more than happy to let you.

I do have a better idea, but only about 1/10th of 1% of the Virginia population would play along. Namely, if everybody in Virginia stopped buying guns, it wouldn't be long before the gun dealers would be up in arms and getting the "Instant Check" problem fixed real quick. And I mean REAL QUICK! I think most gun owners in Virginia could go at least 12 months without having to buy a new firearm.

But, it's just like "gas out" days. How many people really refuse to buy gas on "gas out" days? About 1/10th of 1%!

I am a grumpy ole man too. LOL!

Last edited:

Sheriff

ps - In addition to the gun dealers raising cain, the gun manufacturers would quickly get involved too. Can you imagine what Glock, Smith&Wesson, Colt, Sigarms, etc... would do if they woke up one morning and realized they had shipped no guns to Virginia in the last 6 to 8 months? They too would be all over Virginia's butt.

Little guys like Peter Nap and Sheriff mean nothing to the Virginia State Police. They couldn't care less if we buy a firearm in 2012 or not. In addition to the instant check fee, we also pay taxes that pay their salaries. But we're still dirt under their shoes at the close of the day.

Last edited:

2a4all

I do have a better idea, but only about 1/10th of 1% of the Virginia population would play along. Namely, if everybody in Virginia stopped buying guns, it wouldn't be long before the gun dealers would be up in arms and getting the "Instant Check" problem fixed real. And I mean REAL QUICK! I think most gun owners in Virginia could go at least 12 months without having to buy a new firearm.

But, it's just like "gas out" days. How many people really refuse to buy gas on "gas out" days? About 1/10th of 1%!

I am a grumpy ole man too. LOL!
Are you saying that OHGAM was excessive?:D

I bet if you could get everyone to not fly for one day, the airlines would take TSA to task too.:eek:

Sheriff

I bet if you could get everyone to not fly for one day, the airlines would take TSA to task too.:eek:

There's the probem though. If we come up with a "no fly" day, only about 1/10th of 1% of the population would play along. And the airlines wouldn't even notice it. Get 99% to play along for a month, and the airlines could have TSA disbanded totally. In a month, the airlines would be laying off pilots and staff...... and facing bankruptcy.

People in this country have no spine. They will not band together to fight an injustice.

Virginia gun owners will not band together and refuse to buy any firearm for 12 months. It will never happen, even though it would be a very quick fix to the instant check problems.

I myself am already on strike. If I walk into a gun shop, select a firearm, and the instant check is not completed within an hour.... I tell the dealer to cancel the transaction and say goodbye.

Last edited: