• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gundealers and instant checks

ocholsteroc

You've been drinking the Kool-aid...
Why should a background check be required?????

I don't see "thou shall not be infringed" only if thee passes a background check first.......

I your defense you might be too young to remember the days of cash and carry.

Only stories, I have heard from the older guys. Of days of such freedom, that the young ones were about 12 or so, went to the store and bought rifle/handgun/ammo and went shooting. Today thats a no-no.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not just the ammo - you could buy the rifle, pistol, shotgun if you could see over the counter or lick the stamp for mail order.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=75806

Look at the prices and dream.

Yep...I remember Mom taking me into Harrisonburg (the nearest BIG city) and she went shopping at Joseph Ney's and I walked to the A&N store (They actually sold military surplus in those days).

That day at the tender age of 12 or so, I bought a 6.5 Italian Carcano for $15.00 (No Tax) and a box of shells for $0.50, and carried it back to the parking lot without any raised eyebrows.

That's how I know Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside, with that gun!

Anyway...the good old days and no blood in the streets either.

I bought a couple of pistols when I was in military school, at the Jolly Rodger Antique Shop. My pride and joy in those days was a 455 Webley I converted to 45ACP, that I bought there. I paid $22.00 for it.

There was always a background check. The Clerk would look down at you and say "Your folks know you're getting this"? If you responded "Yes Sir" background check was over but if you answered "Yeah" you would be put on research and he'd say...."What's your phone number"?

Last edited:

Marco

Yep, my Grandma took me to Martin Retting's in CA to get my first handgun a Ruger Flat top in .357mag. and to Montgomery Wards to get my first bolt action 22LR.

As for the background check... My Grandma asked/told me "you not going to get in any trouble with these are you!?"

A good friend got a M2A2 Carbine through mail order via the NRA for like $17, it was suppose to be a M1 carbine, he took the Amenesty when it was offered in the 80's. The gun has a caring and loving home.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

A good friend got a M2A2 Carbine through mail order via the NRA for like $17, it was suppose to be a M1 carbine, he took the Amenesty when it was offered in the 80's. The gun has a caring and loving home.

Would your friend like to triple his money AND make a friend for life? :lol:

nuc65

Activist Member
There's the probem though. If we come up with a "no fly" day, only about 1/10th of 1% of the population would play along. And the airlines wouldn't even notice it. Get 99% to play along for a month, and the airlines could have TSA disbanded totally. In a month, the airlines would be laying off pilots and staff...... and facing bankruptcy.

People in this country have no spine. They will not band together to fight an injustice.

Virginia gun owners will not band together and refuse to buy any firearm for 12 months. It will never happen, even though it would be a very quick fix to the instant check problems.

I myself am already on strike. If I walk into a gun shop, select a firearm, and the instant check is not completed within an hour.... I tell the dealer to cancel the transaction and say goodbye.

Many people in this country believe that TSA makes them safer and they willing go through the civil rights violation because its 'necessary' to ensure safe travel. I remain unconvinced that TSA serves any purpose other then violating my privacy and x-ray me for non-medical purposes. Sure the scanners dont' save nude images... more reasons I have voted for Ron Paul.

speed41ae

What no one seems to get is that dealers who sell the gun and wait beyond the statutory period for results to come back are in violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Once the gun can be lawfully transferred, they must transfer it.

I filled out my paperwork on Friday for a handgun. Does this mean that I should get my handgun on Wednesday even if the check has not come through yet?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I filled out my paperwork on Friday for a handgun. Does this mean that I should get my handgun on Wednesday even if the check has not come through yet?

The law allows you to speed. If the dealer won't do it, let me know and I'll add them to the bad dealer list, if they do, the good dealer list.

Steeler-gal

This is a band aid on the real problem. Waiting 3 days, or 10 days, what's the difference?

Even if dealers honor the 72 hour rule, Virginia has created a 3 day wait, a far cry from being an Instant Check.

Or basically what a lot of people are now calling a 3 day cooling off period.

But not all checks are delayed. I've bought 4 in the last year and 1 just a week ago and I've never waited more than 30 min.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
But not all checks are delayed. I've bought 4 in the last year and 1 just a week ago and I've never waited more than 30 min.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

We have a better picture of what causes one person to get instant approval and the next a 2 week wait now.
The easy way to explain it is to have three stacks of applications.

Stack one is the incoming application. Depending on the volume at the time, it gets processed pretty quickly.
Stack two is approvals (no flags) The quick approval comes from that stack.
Stack three are the research Apps. Someone has the same name, incomplete information, Etc.

These get worked on when stack one and two are finished and since there are only a few people in the center, stack three can be neglected for a long time.

TFred

We have a better picture of what causes one person to get instant approval and the next a 2 week wait now.
The easy way to explain it is to have three stacks of applications.

Stack one is the incoming application. Depending on the volume at the time, it gets processed pretty quickly.
Stack two is approvals (no flags) The quick approval comes from that stack.
Stack three are the research Apps. Someone has the same name, incomplete information, Etc.

These get worked on when stack one and two are finished and since there are only a few people in the center, stack three can be neglected for a long time.
Would be nice if we could flesh out a more definitive list of what puts one in Stack Three.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Would be nice if we could flesh out a more definitive list of what puts one in Stack Three.

TFred

Anything other than immediate OK's on the various databases.

Now here is something to think about and you and the others on the list will get more of it as the information comes in.

If you go into research on NIC and they are charged with sorting it out, it will take up to 145 days:eek:
If NIC gives a research code and the SP Center submitted it, they will normally clear it within 7 days.

So a West Va style research can take some time.
I'm still getting facts and figures about that.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Picked up a new "assault rifle" early this afternoon and the check took less time that I can ever recall. Probably around six to seven minutes from the time the papers were taken to the caller for the call-in to being informed that all was good to go.

Unfortunately, the rifle was lost in body of water on the way home. (tsk, tsk).

nuc65

Activist Member
Picked up a new "assault rifle" early this afternoon and the check took less time that I can ever recall. Probably around six to seven minutes from the time the papers were taken to the caller for the call-in to being informed that all was good to go.

Unfortunately, the rifle was lost in body of water on the way home. (tsk, tsk).

How heart-breaking... probably unrecoverable... :(

speed41ae

The law allows you to speed. If the dealer won't do it, let me know and I'll add them to the bad dealer list, if they do, the good dealer list.

My approval came today and I picked up my pistol. I did ask and was told that they would not have given me the firearm until I was approved.