• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gundealers and instant checks

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did the paperwork on another handgun on 3/27/12 and was not approved until today. It does not look like hold times have improved.

That's interesting!
I wonder if you (It would be confidential so only the buyer could do it) could FOIA the trail on a purchase to see where the bottleneck is.

Steeler-gal

recent and past checks all back in 5-10 mins or less. Latest one was around 40 seconeds. :p

Same here. I've never been "delayed".

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
========================
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

mk4

Same here. I've never been "delayed".

i've only been delayed once and that was on va earthquake day last year. dealer called the vsp and they said the reason was that they'd lost their data connection to the federal nics.

tkd2006

Did the paperwork on another handgun on 3/27/12 and was not approved until today. It does not look like hold times have improved.

Well my question to you is have you ben arrested for anything that would cause them to have to do any research, with that question on research its not what you think needs research but what is require by the FBI or STATE. Also is it possible you were approved before the day you said, and the dealer did not call you untill the day you commented on.

speed41ae

Well my question to you is have you ben arrested for anything that would cause them to have to do any research, with that question on research its not what you think needs research but what is require by the FBI or STATE. Also is it possible you were approved before the day you said, and the dealer did not call you untill the day you commented on.

It is very possible that I was already approved as I had to call them. I am most likely going through this process again this week for another handgun and I will post the results.

As to why I am always delayed.

I called the State Police and was told that my name was similar to a bad person and that I would always be on hold. :(

tkd2006

It is very possible that I was already approved as I had to call them. I am most likely going through this process again this week for another handgun and I will post the results.

As to why I am always delayed.

Yes but do you see that when you made your original post you make it look like the check is not being done in a timely fashion when it fact it probally was.

speed41ae

Yes but do you see that when you made your original post you make it look like the check is not being done in a timely fashion when it fact it probally was.

That was not my intention. I am not trying to be misleading. I wish that more people would post their wait times so we can see if the process is improving.

ryan7068

Three day waiting period!!!

Didn't ya'll hear about VA's new three day waiting period to keep all us crazy's from commiting our crimes with not one but two guns at a time :uhoh: I'm pretty sure that one bullet slinger can get the job done just as easily and with more accuracy :eek: (All Sarcasm!!!:dude:)

Repeater

RTD: Why not apply "Instant" checks to voting?

This in unintentionally funny:

Voting: What would?

"If felons are voting then the [voter ID] law is not going to fix that." -- gun-hater Delegate Jennifer McClellan.

During the General Assembly debate over voter ID measures, we objected to the proposals for the standard reasons, including a lack of evidence that any widespread problem exists. Now that such evidence has come to light through a State Police investigation, we're willing to accept the factual premise behind the new law.

Not everybody is. State Sen. Henry Marsh, for example, says the revelations "don't convince me of anything other than the fact that somebody is trying to create an impression that doesn't exist."

Others are willing to accept the premise but not the conclusion. Del. Jennifer McClellan and the ACLU of Virginia both argue that voter ID measures address voter impersonation, not unlawful voting. If felons are voting, says McClellan, "then the [voter ID] law is not going to fix that."

Fair point. But it raises a question: Would opponents of voter ID support legislation that would fix it? For instance, a system of instant background checks at the polls — similar to the instant background checks required for firearms purchases — would ensure that only those eligible to vote could do so. It would be easy and inexpensive to implement, too.

Would opponents of stricter voter ID laws be willing to support such a proposal — which would address a genuine problem with a relevant solution?

"It would be easy and inexpensive to implement, too." Hilarious.