• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more Dunham's

swjslj

Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.

amaixner

Just tried to buy a marlin .22 rifle at the Dunham's in Spencer, IA this afternoon. They told me that they couldn't take my Non-Professional Permit to Carry, but that they would have to run the NICS check (even though it isn't required). After keeping me waiting about twenty minutes they told me that they were unable to complete the check and I would have to come back. I told them that I would buy the rifle from one of the several gun shops that I've purchased from in the last several years that don't require an NICS check if you have a permit, and walked out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather pay more somewhere else and not have to deal with Dunham's customer and Second Amendment un-friendly policies.

Make sure you place some of the blame where it belongs -- squarely on the BATFE and ridiculously complicated web of state and federal laws and administrative rules that make it difficult to even run a gun store.

bforn

This is Dunhams policy I have been to the same store and picked up several things it is how they choose to run things. Just because your permit will work in place of the NICS check they choose to run a check on everyone. The guys at the counter don't even know that it is legal to do because corporate says it has to be done this way. They do have stores in many places and I'm sure they think if we have all employees trained this way then we can't get in trouble. When I last bought a gun there (Mosin 91/30) I laid down my permit and they said they had to. The clerk was clueless as to the actual laws he just knew the way he had been trained.

There is a lot to know running a gun store but it isn't that bad either. You keep up on things and it isn't horrible.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
They do the same thing in Michigan, they wont take CPLs and they have to run an NICS check.