• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALRIGHT ALREADY -- I'll go and apply for a CCW --- but ..

davidmcbeth

Banned
After reading some of the crap that towns try to make one do ..... I will not allow them to:

1) fingerprint me (not mandatory)
2) give them any freaking "letters of reference" (not mandatory)
3) and 1 day over the time limit or on date of denial I will file an appeal

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well I went and submitted an application today. I did not include any $$$ (you don't have to pay to vote, another right so I don't think I need to pay anything). They did not want to accept it .. but I just told them I would just mail it if they did not wish to take it, so they took it.

Of course a police officer got involved ... talked to him about the various sections (employment, DD214 requirement) and he agreed with some but not all of my arguments. Of course he said he would deny the application - I would not have expected otherwise.

So I filed it w/o fingerprints, w/o picture, w/o copy of ID, no NRA safety course, & without completing several sections of the form putting "not required" in those sections.

I'll be preparing for the denial of course. The officer said that he would deny it today ...

davidmcbeth

Banned
MAY update

OK, it has been over 8 weeks and no response (as I figured and hoped) ... filed an appeal with the Board ... they sent me a notice saying that my hearing is set for MARCH 2013 (ha! a year) and asked, under penalty of dismissal, to complete a questionnaire and arrest history.

Now I am a total a---hole when it comes to constitutional rights and I'll complain and complain and complain and complain and complain --- I filed an objection to their questionnaire & arrest history request. Basis for objection: 1) asks for irrelevant information (Chap. 54 and 2nd amendment forbids this) 2) asks for duplicate information (also Chap. 54 issue) 3) 1 yr is too late ! (2nd amendment issue ~ right to retain proficiency with weapon --- US Army says 6 mo. needed~see them argue against that).

They have their next hearing date set in a couple of weeks (the Board is not fulfilling their statutory duty in allowing so long a time period either~they only have like 32 hrs of hearing time scheduled until the end of the year) ; I'll be there and demand a decision or a dismissal !

If not, then I'll wait for the dismissal that they promised me ~~~ an appeal will follow the next day (well, I'll get the paperwork from the court to serve them so maybe 2 weeks after lol).

Sue was nice at the Board .... but she has zero clue how administrative cases are adjudicated ... none whatsoever. When I asked he about filing an objection she said that they would hear it in MAR 13 .... ha! my case would be dismissed by then

I expect to be victorious (I always expect to win because I never file a frivolous suit)!!! And then this goofy "suitability" garbage will go right out the window. Even the courts acknowledge that "suitability" means nothing more than what the Board thinks it means ... but the courts don't have the guts to strike it down on its vagueness.

GoldCoaster

Interesting approach David, I'm sure it will shake things up a little bit but hopefully you won't find yourself disappointed when the wheels grind to a halt because you aren't playing the game according to their rulebook. Ideally we'd be a constitution state with constitutional carry like Vermont, Arizona, and Wyoming but we live in a state full of liberal weenies.

Leverdude

I'm curious about when you say no NRA course. Did you just refuse to hand over the certificate? Not take the NRA course but another acceptable course? Or not get any instruction at all? I'm not a lawyer but I believe a suitable course is a requirement by state statute. I'd agree its unconstitutional, but if you want the permit I dont think you'll get it without taking a course.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm curious about when you say no NRA course. Did you just refuse to hand over the certificate? Not take the NRA course but another acceptable course? Or not get any instruction at all? I'm not a lawyer but I believe a suitable course is a requirement by state statute. I'd agree its unconstitutional, but if you want the permit I dont think you'll get it without taking a course.

I did not take the gun-control NRA course. Its not required to own, correct? Then it cannot be required to acquire and maintain proficiency and to do that you need a permit because you cannot leave your house without one (with the gun).

Oh, it is a requirement by statute, written before Heller, McDonald, and Ezell (sp?) ... this state has shot themselves in the foot with the gun restrictions IMO ... and it will be their downfall.

It will rattle cages ..... the board's responsibility does encompass such an examination; if they do or not who knows. Since I filed an objection to their request for arrest records then I'll know before the main hearing...if they rule in my favor (ha!) then the case will wait until March (maybe); if they overrule my objection (I'm hoping!) then they'll automatically dismiss the case and it becomes reviewable and it would be a de novo review by superior court (and this should take ~4 months I figure). Then it will off the appellate court (and I have filed appeals before, a but rusty but its mainly monkey-see, monkey-do) for 6 months and then off the the state supreme court for 6 more months. I did time my permit application to avoid the legislature from getting involved.

What do people actually get out of a 4-8 hour course? Nothing really -- its not 20 weeks of basic training, right?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Interesting approach David, I'm sure it will shake things up a little bit but hopefully you won't find yourself disappointed when the wheels grind to a halt because you aren't playing the game according to their rulebook. Ideally we'd be a constitution state with constitutional carry like Vermont, Arizona, and Wyoming but we live in a state full of liberal weenies.

Oh, on my permit application it is peppered with "not relevant" in most sections...the cop looked at me like I was an idiot...he refused to accept it until I told him I would just deliver it to the 1st selectman..then he took it. Most people in this state still think that the 2nd amendment applies only to militia ... hahaha

nobama

Oh, on my permit application it is peppered with "not relevant" in most sections...the cop looked at me like I was an idiot...he refused to accept it until I told him I would just deliver it to the 1st selectman..then he took it. Most people in this state still think that the 2nd amendment applies only to militia ... hahaha

We are the militia. Just not a "practiced one". I hope we all feel that way,otherwise they can say the 2A doesnt apply to us.

Leverdude

I did not take the gun-control NRA course. Its not required to own, correct? Then it cannot be required to acquire and maintain proficiency and to do that you need a permit because you cannot leave your house without one (with the gun).

Oh, it is a requirement by statute, written before Heller, McDonald, and Ezell (sp?) ... this state has shot themselves in the foot with the gun restrictions IMO ... and it will be their downfall.

It will rattle cages ..... the board's responsibility does encompass such an examination; if they do or not who knows. Since I filed an objection to their request for arrest records then I'll know before the main hearing...if they rule in my favor (ha!) then the case will wait until March (maybe); if they overrule my objection (I'm hoping!) then they'll automatically dismiss the case and it becomes reviewable and it would be a de novo review by superior court (and this should take ~4 months I figure). Then it will off the appellate court (and I have filed appeals before, a but rusty but its mainly monkey-see, monkey-do) for 6 months and then off the the state supreme court for 6 more months. I did time my permit application to avoid the legislature from getting involved.

What do people actually get out of a 4-8 hour course? Nothing really -- its not 20 weeks of basic training, right?

Good luck. I agree with your stance as far as the second amendment. I thought you were simply refusing to abide by extra conditions implemented by local authorities. As far as what they get out of the course I guess it depends. If you are already familiar with guns not much. If you have never handled one you learn to do so safely. It's not a tactical training course, just a basic safety course.
Should it be required before exercising a constitutional right? Of course not.

dcmdon

David,

Completion of a course approved by the DPS is a statutory requirement to be issued a PP.

So you won't get any help form the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. What many of us are trying to get people to do is only to submit what is required by law. Like you said, no, letters of reference, credit checks, conversations with neighbors, etc.

But the class is IN THE STATUTE. There are only 2 courses that I know of that are approved by the DPS. One is NRA Basic Pistol and the other is the one created by, but not currently being taught, by Ed Peruta.

So before you waste a year of your life, only to have your appeal denied by the BFPE, I'd suggest you submit an application that complies with the requirements of the statute and nothing more. Simply saying that the 2A is all the pistol permit you need is a sure path to a dismissal or a felony charge if you carry without a permit.

Don

p.s. Also. Its not a CCW in CT. Its a gun. It can be carried concealed or openly. There is not CCW permit in CT. Its a pistol permit or more correctly a Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers. The word CONCEALED does not appear anywhere in any CT law or regulation.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Good luck. I agree with your stance as far as the second amendment. I thought you were simply refusing to abide by extra conditions implemented by local authorities. As far as what they get out of the course I guess it depends. If you are already familiar with guns not much. If you have never handled one you learn to do so safely. It's not a tactical training course, just a basic safety course.
Should it be required before exercising a constitutional right? Of course not.

Safety safety safety .. the mantra of 2nd amendment opponents. Anyone who buys a gun learns how to use it for their own preservation; those who won't will not be around that long.

Plus how can you get proficient without a permit? Shoot into your bedroom walls? lol

I think that ALL the stuff the state wants us to do for a permit is extra. And it is. Look at the states where a permit is not required, do you see gunfights at the OK Corral occurring? No. Why? Because the premise is faulty that a NRA class and suitability examinations are needed.

Also, if one was truly concerned about crime then people would be wearing ballistic vests as well as carrying ... I have yet to see anyone do both. If one was in a situation where his/her gun is needed then a vest would be seen as being a wise choice to have as well.

When I have carried in the past, I wore a vest as well. Something for folks to consider. I really want my permit to practice and only occasionally carry .. but I think that people can carry however they like.

rt1983

While I completely agree with what you are doing and applaud you for what you are doing, the pistol class IS required per state statute.

I completely agree though, how can someone be expected to be proficient with a pistol if they can not legall even handle or own one without a permit or eligibility certificate?

KIX

Good luck battling the statutes...... and all the money required to do so! Unless, you plan to represent yourself.

But, what is this CCW stuff? CT doesn't have CCW permits. Can't believe someone didn't say this earlier.

Jonathan

dcmdon

David,

p.s. Also. Its not a CCW in CT. Its a gun. It can be carried concealed or openly. There is not CCW permit in CT. Its a pistol permit or more correctly a Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers. The word CONCEALED does not appear anywhere in any CT law or regulation.

I did.

KIX

LOL, my bad.

OCDO went offline for about ten minutes and I reloaded the page a couple times..... I think I musta missed it when I kept trying to reload the page.

Jonathan

brk913

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought and when I first read it I laughed and thought the OP was crazy and just wanted to cause trouble for himself but after reviewing what he has done (as far as application submission) and what he wants to do I am thinking we should all get behind him on this and help in any way we can.

How many potential permit applicants are willing to fight for what's right? Most just want their permit and will jump through any and all hoops CT and their town lays out for them, it only takes one good runling from a court to declare statute's unconstitutional, how will we ever know how they will rule unless someone has the guts to stand up to the state and take them to court. I think that CT Carry and the CCDL should be involved with this, someone should also try to get the NRA on board. Imagine if in 18-36 months we get a ruling from a court that the CT permit system itself is unconstitutional.

To the OP I am behind you on this all the way and I commend you for fighting for your rights, please keep us informed of the progress.

Last edited:

Rich B

To the OP I am behind you on this all the way and I commend you for fighting for your rights, please keep us informed of the progress.

We have been in communication with David for a while now and we support his fight to the extent that we can. He has supplied us lots of relevant information and I hope we have returned the favor at least in part.

KIX

I agree wholeheartedly..... I hope it can continue all the way through.

The only cases I know of where people have gone this route never saw it all the way through. I think the demise was more fiscally motivated than overall tenacity towards the issue.....

Good luck, if I can help at all, just ask.

Jonathan

Leverdude

Safety safety safety .. the mantra of 2nd amendment opponents. Anyone who buys a gun learns how to use it for their own preservation; those who won't will not be around that long.

Plus how can you get proficient without a permit? Shoot into your bedroom walls? lol

You are preaching to the choir. If you pass the course you can get proficient by practicing with the gun you are legally allowed to transport & carry.

I think that ALL the stuff the state wants us to do for a permit is extra. And it is. Look at the states where a permit is not required, do you see gunfights at the OK Corral occurring? No. Why? Because the premise is faulty that a NRA class and suitability examinations are needed.

Yes & no, its a fact that firearm accidents are at an all time low, IMO largely because of NRA & other educational resources. I teach 6 to 12 people a month and most benefit greatly from it. Its not a tactical or marksmanship course, though shooting is involved, its more focused on making guns safe & safely handling them, we focus alot on muzzle awareness etc. Should they be required? Not in my opinion, but it is the law here & while I think it does us good to refuse to do things not required by the law to satisfy local PDs I dont see much to be gained by ignoreing the actual statutory requirements.

Also, if one was truly concerned about crime then people would be wearing ballistic vests as well as carrying ... I have yet to see anyone do both. If one was in a situation where his/her gun is needed then a vest would be seen as being a wise choice to have as well.

So wear one. I'm content having the means to stop a violent attack, I'm not expecting to get into a battle.

When I have carried in the past, I wore a vest as well. Something for folks to consider. I really want my permit to practice and only occasionally carry .. but I think that people can carry however they like.

Well, I think you will be out of luck in this state, or any state with a permit requirement if you ignore the statutory requirements. The place to fight the fight your fighting is Hartford, not the local PD. But hell, its a free country, have at it.

Leverdude

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought and when I first read it I laughed and thought the OP was crazy and just wanted to cause trouble for himself but after reviewing what he has done (as far as application submission) and what he wants to do I am thinking we should all get behind him on this and help in any way we can.

How many potential permit applicants are willing to fight for what's right? Most just want their permit and will jump through any and all hoops CT and their town lays out for them, it only takes one good runling from a court to declare statute's unconstitutional, how will we ever know how they will rule unless someone has the guts to stand up to the state and take them to court. I think that CT Carry and the CCDL should be involved with this, someone should also try to get the NRA on board. Imagine if in 18-36 months we get a ruling from a court that the CT permit system itself is unconstitutional.

Hadnt really looked at it that way. I thought he wanted his permit but I guess he might be trying to make a change. I think honestly that our permit system is clearly unconstitutional because its all encompassing. While it lets us carry its not really a carry permit because its required for transportation or any practical posession outside the home or place of business. If it were only required for carrying loaded on your person it would be different the way I see it. Itd still be infringement though.