• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 but above 18 years old receiving a handgun

RemingtonRice

If i am under 21 years old and living in tennessee and my father gave me a handgun as a gift would i legally be able to own that firearm untill i could obtain a carry permit?

Fallschirjmäger

If i am under 21 years old and living in tennessee and my father gave me a handgun as a gift would i legally be able to own that firearm untill i could obtain a carry permit?
As long as your father is not a FFL, and you are not otherwise prohibited, then it should be completely legal.
The "no pistol transfers to anyone under 21" applies to Federal License holders, not private parties.
The pistol isn't crossing any state lines, is it?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

It would be best to ask in the Tenn side of the forum, but my understanding is that Tennessee isn't a "traditional open carry state" but is a "shall issue" state that issues a carry permit that allows both open and concealed carry. I would suspect the permit is 21+ but wouldn't swear to it.

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(a) The citizens of this state have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the general assembly has the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (r), any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or permanent lawful resident, as defined by § 55-50-102, who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a handgun carry permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to § 39-17-1316 or § 39-17-1307(b), 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), or any other state or federal law, and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements of this section, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

(c) The application for a permit shall be on a standard form developed by the department. The application shall clearly state in bold face type directly above the signature line that an applicant who, with intent to deceive, makes any false statement on the application commits the felony offense of perjury pursuant to § 39-16-702. The following are eligibility requirements for obtaining a handgun carry permit and the application shall require the applicant to disclose and confirm compliance with, under oath, the following information concerning the applicant and the eligibility requirements:

Last edited: