• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta Px4 storm VS. Walther pk380 as open carry firearm

SovereignAxe

I don't own a PK-380, but I have been researching them recently because my wife is interested in one. It has some unique aspects that you should be aware of:
- The slide-mounted manual safety moves in the "wrong" direction compared to others (like the Px4). I haven't tried it yet, but I think this will make it more difficult/slower to disengage the safety under stress.
- The safety does not double as a decocker. This allows "cocked & locked" carry (unlike the Px4), but also means the only way to decock is to pull the trigger and ride the hammer down with your thumb.
- There is no slide lock/release lever. The only way to lock the slide back is to have an empty magazine.
- Disassembly requires a special tool. This is the only gun I know of that does this.
- It only comes with one magazine.

Despite these weird characteristics, the PK-380 is still "in the running" because the ergonomics are good, it's ambidextrous (she's a lefty), it's relatively inexpensive, and she is exactly their target demographic: a female, first-time gun owner. (It does come in pink, after all.) If none of the above bothers you, you'll probably like the PK-380 fine.

The Px4 is a fine firearm, although I was disappointed by it. It looks good, but I think the ergonomics aren't nearly nearly as good as they could/should be.

If you want to OC some times and conceal others, I would recommend a compact (as opposed to a subcompact or full-size/tactical) pistol. They're usually small enough to conceal if you choose, but also suited to open carry. Since both your current contenders are DA/SA, I'll assume you prefer that trigger style. That would rule out Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, Steyr, other Walthers, etc.

If you really want both a DA/SA trigger and the rotary-action lockup that the Px4 has, try to find an STI GP5 for comparison (although finding a holster for it might be even harder than finding the gun itself). Other mid-sized pistols in that size & price range you might want to consider are: Sig P2022, Baby Desert Eagle, EAA Witness compact, EAA EZ (near-clone of a Sig P226), and Bersa Thunder9. There are other offerings by H&K and Sig, but they'd cost twice as much.

Good hunting!

the only Walthers that don't have a DA/SA trigger are the PPS, PPQ and P99QA (which I think was dropped in favor of the PPQ). The P99, P99AS, PK380, P22, P88, P5, PPK, etc all have or are available with a DA/SA trigger.