Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Why Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76

    Why Open Carry

    Just curious...
    When you do open carry, what is the reason for doing so?
    In other words, the majority of the time that you choose to open carry, what is the purpose behind that decision?

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    Just curious...
    When you do open carry, what is the reason for doing so?
    In other words, the majority of the time that you choose to open carry, what is the purpose behind that decision?
    Despite previous arguments, you hold yours, I will hold mine and offer a civil discussion on your topic, choice is yours.

    I would have to offer, "why not open carry?" as a direct response. Why of all things should open carry be forbidden? With CCW laws as they are and the criminal mindset to be one of more or less ignoring all laws, what is the purpose of banning open carry? If there is no reason of merit, then there is no reason to ban it, kinda simple I know, but the truth usually is just that simple.

    Why do I personally open carry? Because my grandmother had a great deal of influence on my life and insisted that persons walking around with their shirts untucked and looking sloppy were "hoodlums" and not something one should aspire to become. You got dressed to go out in public, even if dining only at McDonalds. My grandfather was an auto body man, but I do not believe he ever ate dinner outside of the home without a tie and almost never without a sport coat and a Fedora.

    I do not enjoy the heat at any level and rarely will you see me wearing a coat, it has to be in the teens before I do, that does not lend itself to concealed carry. If one is to tuck in and look neat, you are left with the choices of some fairly poor choices for deep conceal pocket carry or an inside the waistband tuckable holster such as a crossbreed or kholster, along with smartcarry or another underwear type.

    None of those suit me particularly well, I tolerate them when needed but find frustration builds as their is simply no need, the ban should not exist as it changes nothing, the firearm is still there, 2 mm of cloth make no difference at all. No matter what one tries to do, no laws will ever stop the criminal mind and all any of the laws do is restrict the freedoms of the law abiding.

    There is simply no reason with merit one should be restricted from open carry, there should be no requirement to do so either, all persons of good character should have the freedom to choose as they see fit without regard for the opinions of others as it is not others business in how one legally conducts one's self, again, its just that simple.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    I would have to offer, "why not open carry?" as a direct response.
    Why not? Mainly because my line of work doesn't allow it...so the choice is simple.
    We recently had one of the female employees (recently divorced) threatened by her ex...I mean to say, "I'm going to shoot you" threatened...
    We had an immediate policy of locking the doors as we are not a secured building.
    I am the only employee who carries.
    I have brought a wee bit larger caliber for several weeks now after I learned the nature of the threat.
    It is in my traveling gun safe sitting on my desk every day, with an extra mag.
    Not one person, including the owners has objected.
    My casual business shirts are all out...they are designed that way...Grandma wouldn't approve, I'm certain.

    I'm not sure why they have a policy against open carry any other time, but I'm quite comfortable carrying concealed.
    Last edited by lincomores; 03-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member G30Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Joseph MO
    Posts
    120
    For self defense and the defense of my family. I've had my fair share of hairy situations. Pretty straightforward. I can't get my MO CWP because of an SIS conviction 12 years ago when I was a stupid kid. OC is basically my only option unless I want to get a non resident permit from another state.
    I don't OC for political reasons, or to be an attention *****. I prefer to be as discreet as possible, but there's a limit to being discreet OCing, obviously. Hopefully my gun in plain sight will deter would be scumbags.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    Why not? Mainly because my line of work doesn't allow it...so the choice is simple.
    I was speaking to OC in general, not specific to employment.

    Frustrating call for me really, can not put your rights above the owners, he indeed has the choice to run his company as he see's fit.

    I do not OC at work either, we have a strict no guns policy. No CCW, no arms on parking lot either. As much as I object, I have the choice of compliance or finding another job, it is their property.

    I do not OC exclusively by any means, I do both, by my choice (exclusive of work as mentioned above) and that is how it should be for all legal citizens, their choice. When I said "why not" I was speaking directly to why the government should have any say so what so ever in your personal choice on bearing arms. That does not mean I do not believe anyone else shouldn't, no one should force anyone to accept what they do not want on their own property, anyone trying that on my property is going to have a rough day.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  6. #6
    Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    724

    A video I did


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
    For self defense and the defense of my family. I've had my fair share of hairy situations. Pretty straightforward. I can't get my MO CWP because of an SIS conviction 12 years ago when I was a stupid kid. OC is basically my only option unless I want to get a non resident permit from another state.
    I don't OC for political reasons, or to be an attention *****. I prefer to be as discreet as possible, but there's a limit to being discreet OCing, obviously. Hopefully my gun in plain sight will deter would be scumbags.
    This was the answer that I was thinking when I posed the question.
    I would say that probably most folks would say, "well, yeh, of course that is why I open carry", but I don't know for sure that this is really the motivation every, single time someone saddles up and heads out the door.
    I ONLY carry for the reason stated above.
    I don't find occasion to OC much. I'm all for it, but for most of my day and week, CC is my only choice, so it just becomes habit.
    I'm definitely not into meet and greets...the getting together of friends and like minded folks is all good, but This is what I would personally classify as Political reasons...good for some, but not my cup of tea.

    I'm certain your weapons is a deterrent...much more than a CC would ever be.
    Being armed in any manner, with the purpose of self defense is always the best reason to carry.

    So my next question is, when you "can't" OC (and you have a permit) "Do" you CC then.
    And a curious question...what do you feel like when you are "totally" unarmed?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Independence, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by G30Mike View Post
    For self defense and the defense of my family. I've had my fair share of hairy situations. Pretty straightforward. I can't get my MO CWP because of an SIS conviction 12 years ago when I was a stupid kid. OC is basically my only option unless I want to get a non resident permit from another state.
    I don't OC for political reasons, or to be an attention *****. I prefer to be as discreet as possible, but there's a limit to being discreet OCing, obviously. Hopefully my gun in plain sight will deter would be scumbags.
    What was your sis conviction for?
    Last edited by Jim40Cal; 03-04-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: misspelled

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    This was the answer that I was thinking when I posed the question.
    I would say that probably most folks would say, "well, yeh, of course that is why I open carry", but I don't know for sure that this is really the motivation every, single time someone saddles up and heads out the door.

    So my next question is, when you "can't" OC (and you have a permit) "Do" you CC then.
    And a curious question...what do you feel like when you are "totally" unarmed?
    If you wanted the answer to why someone carries a firearm, why did you not just ask that simple question?

    What other motivation do you think anyone has for legal carry of a weapon?

    By the response above, it looks as though your attempt was to ask a baited question for a specific result. There is no answer beyond protection for carry of a weapon unless you have criminal intent and then the actual reason remains somewhat similar, it is for protection as you commit a crime and escalate the threat to instill fear and gain compliance.

    I believe you would find that anyone who carries would answer your "how do you feel totally unarmed" with "frustrated just as I was prior to 9 years ago when it was illegal" then again, you are likely being unclear as you were on the OP as to what you are asking.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  10. #10
    Regular Member G30Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Joseph MO
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post
    ....what do you feel like when you are "totally" unarmed?
    Naked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    What was your sis conviction for?
    Me and 5 buddies/codefendants found in possession of a stolen 4 wheeler. I was barely 18, like I said, stupid kid, stupid mistakes, lesson learned. We all received 3 years of SIS probation for it. Haven't been in trouble since, and I'll be 31 soon.
    Last edited by G30Mike; 03-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Independence, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    349
    That should not stop you from getting a permit. It was a long time ago and even if it's a felony it's non violent..We were all stupid when we were younger....

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    That should not stop you from getting a permit. It was a long time ago and even if it's a felony it's non violent..We were all stupid when we were younger....
    prevents mo permit, bot a lot of oos can be had
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    no arms on parking lot either.
    I'm pretty sure under MO law you can lock your gun in your car even on their property.

    OP: 95% of the time I CC. Mostly because I prefer to be discreet when I carry. On the occasions I do OC it's usually b/c I'm going to a gathering, the range, or sometimes just because I feel like it.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    I'm pretty sure under MO law you can lock your gun in your car even on their property.

    OP: 95% of the time I CC. Mostly because I prefer to be discreet when I carry. On the occasions I do OC it's usually b/c I'm going to a gathering, the range, or sometimes just because I feel like it.

    Nope, there is no protection under mo law. If your employer restricts it, not a thing you can do about it. I mean one can indeed do it anyway and not be in violation, however you can be fired for it. So to be clear, it is not a violation of law to do so, it is not even an infraction, but it can cost you your job if caught.

    If there was any off site parking, I would use it, but it does not exist. Job pays too much to take the risk and it is a position with some political posturing so one does not give others a free shot!
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  15. #15
    Regular Member G30Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Joseph MO
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim40Cal View Post
    That should not stop you from getting a permit. It was a long time ago and even if it's a felony it's non violent..We were all stupid when we were younger....
    Yeah, unfortunately its a disqualifier for the MO permit. Good thing I didn't pay for the class and then pay the Sheriff before I found out. Would have been a waste of at least $100 to the Sheriff, as I believe that fee is non refundable.
    This summer when some funds open up a bit I'm going to take the class and send off for my Arizona permit. There's is only $60 and a mail in ordeal. Bills in the summer are less so they cut me some slack to do other things. Until then...OC exclusively for me.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    If you wanted the answer to why someone carries a firearm, why did you not just ask that simple question?
    I didn't. That is why I didn't ask that question. I wanted to know exactly what I asked.


    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    What other motivation do you think anyone has for legal carry of a weapon?
    I didn't ask that question. I wanted the motivation behind why open carry.

    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    By the response above, it looks as though your attempt was to ask a baited question for a specific result.
    You "would" see it that way...but you're wrong. My question was as it was.


    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    There is no answer beyond protection for carry of a weapon unless you have criminal intent and then the actual reason remains somewhat similar, it is for protection as you commit a crime and escalate the threat to instill fear and gain compliance.
    You don't know that for certain. Neither do I. I wanted to see what kind of responses folks would come up with. One responder mentioned "political reasons." (not that that was his motivation)
    That is a legitimate reason. I could see that as being a driving motivation behind a meet and greet.

    My own thought to the question was a change of pace with self defense as a motivation, period. I couldn't see me purposely open carry for an educational or political reason. I almost exclusively CC for reasons mentioned so even to open carry for a change of pace would be awkward because it would feel unnecessary to me. I would probably find myself asking why? and then CC.
    But I do open carry when I shoot because it is convenient on my range. I also open carry when I hunt. My motivation there is convenience and comfort.

    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    I believe you would find that anyone who carries would answer your "how do you feel totally unarmed" with "frustrated just as I was prior to 9 years ago when it was illegal" then again, you are likely being unclear as you were on the OP as to what you are asking.
    And, you would probably be off the mark again as well.
    My OP was as clear as could be.
    I'll tell you how I would answer the question about how I feel not carrying...It has really only happened a few times in many years and it is about to happen for about a week soon...
    I feel that it would be that dreaded moment when I need my weapon...I would instinctively reach for it only to have my heart sink in the realization that I am unarmed.
    Last edited by lincomores; 03-05-2012 at 08:41 PM.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lincomores View Post

    1.I wanted the motivation behind why open carry.



    2. You "would" see it that way...but you're wrong. My question was as it was.


    3. I could see that as being a driving motivation behind a meet and greet.

    4. My own thought to the question was a change of pace with self defense as a motivation, period. I couldn't see me purposely open carry for an educational or political reason. I almost exclusively CC for reasons mentioned so even to open carry for a change of pace would be awkward because it would feel unnecessary to me. I would probably find myself asking why? and then CC.

    5.But I do open carry when I shoot because it is convenient on my range. I also open carry when I hunt. My motivation there is convenience and comfort.

    6. It has really only happened a few times in many years and it is about to happen for about a week soon...
    I feel that it would be that dreaded moment when I need my weapon...I would instinctively reach for it only to have my heart sink in the realization that I am unarmed.
    Edited for response.

    1. It seemed that way at first, but then when you reference protection, it shifts the direction for me to why be armed at all, the obvious answer is protection.

    2. Your response indicated otherwise to me, I was not trying to read it in any particular manner.

    3. Driving motivation for the meet n greets for me is to meet like minded people with the same interest, no different that the 4wd clubs I participate with, folks who enjoy modifying 4wd and driving off road. We take lots of photos of that as well. The amateur radio club is the same, like minded people. I do not find many folks outside amateur clubs interested in Dit Dah learning sessions or rice racers who care about retubing axles, or gun guys interested in preserving rights or expanding what has been taken, the OC crowd has interest in that.

    4. The educational purpose is a simple one, a large percentage of the population are not aware it is legal, some are interested in spreading the word so persons who might be interested learn there are others who do it and support it being legal. Not unlike when you first visited here, you came here seeking like minded folks to assist as they saw fit with a potential ban, if you had wanted the ban, you would have visited the brady camp. Since you saw it as wrong, you came for support to a place you figured many others would agree, simple stuff really.

    5. It is pretty much impossible to hunt without open carry. When you have a rifle or shot gun in your hand, that is open carry as is that rifle or shot gun in a rack in the window of your truck should you have one. That is what is so stupid about it being banned. Illegal handling or discharge should certainly be a crime, but holstered or racked weapons offer no risk, they are tools that require operation and as long as one is not operating it improperly, there should be no restriction on the tool, again, it is simple.

    6. You are not alone, I am researching air travel and the laws in several states I must pass through on a short notice trip I must take. nothing I like the idea of worse is stopping at unknown rest areas with 2 lovely ladies without a means of care should it be needed. I sometimes wonder how many folks make the mistake of stopping at the rest stops here in the metro area, so much crap has happened at the one on riverview and I do not know that I might not stop at one in a similar place in another state, I want to be able to defend myself and family.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •