• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Everett

Knowledge

Welcome to OCDO, just a note...you will need thicker skin and open mind to participate in OCDO. We don't hold back in trying to get it right. We hold each other to a high standard and expect the law to be quoted and analyzed and for those that participate to get it right. If you think that everything you do will get you a high five then you have much to learn. If you are willing to learn then you will be enlightened in ways you didn't know existed.

Looking forward to it!

FMJ 911

Norpoint is only a 20-Minute drive from my house! But I can't go, I'm saving up for 2 new guns, and all money has to go toward those. Maybe next month I'll be able to go, and try my new guns!

Knowledge

Made my way down to Seattle today to peruse around REI with my wife. OCing the whole time, of course. No negative interactions, which was great. In a different thread someone had mentioned Costco might kick you out. So, I stopped there on my way back from REI. I had to get a few things so it's not like I went there just to walk around OCing. It was the Costco behind the Everett Mall, right off highway 5. Nobody said anything, except a customer behind me in line. He said "It's dangerous just walking around with one of those." He was saying it to someone he was with. All I could think was, "Guns aren't dangerous, irresponsible people with guns are dangerous." Well that's it for today, stay safe, stay strapped.

skiingislife725

Made my way down to Seattle today to peruse around REI with my wife. OCing the whole time, of course. No negative interactions, which was great. In a different thread someone had mentioned Costco might kick you out. So, I stopped there on my way back from REI. I had to get a few things so it's not like I went there just to walk around OCing. It was the Costco behind the Everett Mall, right off highway 5. Nobody said anything, except a customer behind me in line. He said "It's dangerous just walking around with one of those." He was saying it to someone he was with. All I could think was, "Guns aren't dangerous, irresponsible people with guns are dangerous." Well that's it for today, stay safe, stay strapped.

Glad to hear everything was a non-issue, as it should be! Get anything good at REI? Oh and if ya haven't seen it already, here's the letter that M1Gunr got back from Costco. If there was a Sam's Club closer, I'd probably just say Costco can suck it, but for now I just CC so I don't have to deal with the possibility of getting the boot/membership revoked.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.
In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that we don't want you. It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Susan
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

Funny about the person behind ya saying that it's dangerous carrying that thing around...yah, for criminals maybe. But that's a good thing! (although I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that this person thinks that guns jump out of holsters on their own)

Last edited:

Knowledge

Glad to hear everything was a non-issue, as it should be! Get anything good at REI? Oh and if ya haven't seen it already, here's the letter that M1Gunr got back from Costco. If there was a Sam's Club closer, I'd probably just say Costco can suck it, but for now I just CC so I don't have to deal with the possibility of getting the boot/membership revoked.

Dear Ken,

"""Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores"""

Funny about the person behind ya saying that it's dangerous carrying that thing around...yah, for criminals maybe. But that's a good thing! (although I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that this person thinks that guns jump out of holsters on their own)

I find it quite entertaining how the letter is worded. Costco is a legal fiction, can non-existing entities have beliefs? Oh, didn't you hear in the news, guns been hoppin' out of holsters recently.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.
In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that we don't want you. It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Susan
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

Susan,

Mr Smith does not believe it necessary to utilize his money in any of your stores. Your competitors are more than happy to take my money. Mr Smith does not believe that only law enforcement have the right to defending their lives. Mr Smith believes that your policy endangers your members and employees and does not enhance safety to any degree. You are not sorry, you are a social bigot and you choose to exclude law abiding citizens with your bigotry.

Regards,

Mr Smith

Knowledge

So, I had to go grocery shopping today. I went over to Trader Joe's. Nobody directly said anything to me, but I heard a lot of whispering. It felt like I was walking around with a strange deformity (no offense intended). However, I wasn't kicked out for OCing which was worth the murmurs. I then headed to Fred Myers. I got a few looks, no whispers though. After that went to the CoOp off Grand Ave. Nothing there as well. Then I stopped at QFC and the connecting Starbucks. It seems people only talk about you and not with you. Other than that easy pezy.

waterfowl woody

I spend some time around the Everett Market building on California and Grand, just not sundays. Had good experience with the coop people. last summer I was picking up my girlfriend from work. Went for a walk with my black lab, Woody, around that area. I was OCing as it was a warm night. Came around the corner of a building and saw a women from the coop walking the garbage down the street towards me when she froze right in her tracks! Her eyes where huge. Mind you I am 6'8" shaved head 250lbs with a black lab and OCing. I kept walking at the same pace towards her, made my smile as big as her eyes and gave her a "Maam" with a knod. I thought for sure the MWAG was coming, never did. she and I see each other here and there with no issues and just smiles. good experience

jbone

Do we always notice that one, or couple of folks in a store whispering out of literally hundreds of shoppers, it’s like we find the needle in the haystack every time. Reminds me of watching the entertainingly stupid show s like “finding Bigfoot” and that one noise heard in the forest, well only a squatch could make that noise, or ghosthunters when one yells and the others follow suit as if they all just seen the devil himself. I think we look for things that fit our situation, perhaps misinterpret, because we seek it, expect it, and want it.

Knowledge

Do we always notice that one, or couple of folks in a store whispering out of literally hundreds of shoppers, it’s like we find the needle in the haystack every time. Reminds me of watching the entertainingly stupid show s like “finding Bigfoot” and that one noise heard in the forest, well only a squatch could make that noise, or ghosthunters when one yells and the others follow suit as if they all just seen the devil himself. I think we look for things that fit our situation, perhaps misinterpret, because we seek it, expect it, and want it.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. But when someone is right next to you and staring at your gun, well, lets just assume I didn't misinterpret the situation. That's a lovely psychoanalysis, you'd make Freud proud.

sudden valley gunner

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. But when someone is right next to you and staring at your gun, well, lets just assume I didn't misinterpret the situation. That's a lovely psychoanalysis, you'd make Freud proud.

You know what I found works great when someone is staring at my gun. I ask them politely if they would like to know anything, I noticed they were looking at my firearm.

Have had lots of great conversations with people that way.

amlevin

So, I had to go grocery shopping today. I went over to Trader Joe's. Nobody directly said anything to me, but I heard a lot of whispering. It felt like I was walking around with a strange deformity (no offense intended). However, I wasn't kicked out for OCing which was worth the murmurs. I then headed to Fred Myers. I got a few looks, no whispers though. After that went to the CoOp off Grand Ave. Nothing there as well. Then I stopped at QFC and the connecting Starbucks. It seems people only talk about you and not with you. Other than that easy pezy.

Are you sure they were talking about your pistol? Or was your zipper down?

Knowledge

You know what I found works great when someone is staring at my gun. I ask them politely if they would like to know anything, I noticed they were looking at my firearm.

Have had lots of great conversations with people that way.

Nah, I meant that when the lady whispered to her friend "would you look at that." I wasn't going to turn around a start talking to them. after all I was grocery shopping. And then at the check-out a lady said to her husband "now that's unnecessary." I wasn't going to go up to them either. Then at costco a lady said "That's dangerous." It's just that nobody was appealing to talk to. Although, yesterday I had a blast talking to people down in Lynnwood.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Where's the video of the encounters you are describing? Quite often when people start carrying or carrying openly for the first time are rather hyper sensitive about others around them, kinda like stage fright.
Or are people looking your way because someone is video taping you as you walk around? Are you auditioning for Operation Repo with all those cameras? :lol:

Knowledge

Did you buy anything at Whole Foods? or did you just go in to walk around?

My wife was the camera-lady, she wanted to go to Whole Foods to see if they had vegan vanilla cappuccino. They didn't have any so we just ended up leaving. But we went in for the cappuccino not to scare the little girl. :)

Knowledge

Where's the video of the encounters you are describing? Quite often when people start carrying or carrying openly for the first time are rather hyper sensitive about others around them, kinda like stage fright.
Or are people looking your way because someone is video taping you as you walk around? Are you auditioning for Operation Repo with all those cameras? :lol:

I didn't have the camera my wife did, so I was off in the men's section looking while she... well she was doin what women do. I didn't want to carry a camera around video taping everyone... you know it might come off wrong when your OCing too. The guy in Escape Outdoors was really cool to talk to. I told him about this forum, told him to check it out, that he can learn a lot from all the old people on here... I mean veteran OCers.:D On a side note, I was at the mall to shop, wasn't walking funny to be noticed or anything. I tried on clothes like everyone else, as far as the encounters they came up to me cause I was looking at shirts. One thing I wish I had mentioned was walking past mall security (3 times) they had nothing to say which I thought to be rather nice. It's only as big a deal as those around me make it.