• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Everett

golddigger14s

Activist Member
First welcome to OCDO. You are new PLEASE study the laws and the threads here, and have a thick skin. On your video some of the things you mentioned like the rules for buildings were inaccurate, and you said it was "fun". A gun whether concealed, or carried openly is not for "fun". When we go to Capitol Forest to shoot it is for fun, when we carry it is not for fun. Please come to some of our coffee or shooting outings for more discussion. Carry safe!

sudden valley gunner

First welcome to OCDO. You are new PLEASE study the laws and the threads here, and have a thick skin. On your video some of the things you mentioned like the rules for buildings were inaccurate, and you said it was "fun". A gun whether concealed, or carried openly is not for "fun". When we go to Capitol Forest to shoot it is for fun, when we carry it is not for fun. Please come to some of our coffee or shooting outings for more discussion. Carry safe!

Why not for fun? Do you enjoy OC'ing, then it is fun....just saying....

I enjoy the conversations they start, educating others who ask, the exercise of fundamental right is empowering which can be "fun", it is fun exercising my right of freedom of expression and OC is a great way of doing that....

....just another point of view...why should we judge what people find as fun...as long as it is legal and not causing harm?:cool:

skiingislife725

Welcome Knowledge! I'm just east of you over in Lake Stevens. Hope to see you at a meet or around town.

@SVG: I can see where golddigger is coming from. Being "fun" makes it seem like it's something non-chalant like whether I'm going to go to Ivar's or Red Lobster for lunch...or what color shirt I'm going to wear......not that I'm choosing to carry a tool that has the capability to end someone's life. AND that I'm carrying in a manner that makes it easier for someone with ill will to attempt to disarm me if I'm not paying attention (I don't think it's a huge threat, but I do think it's a good idea to have a plan B before you start OCing). That said, it can be fun too...and I'll be honest, it's amusing sometimes to see people's eyes bugout (even though I try and dress nice and be a good example). BUT, fun is definitely a secondary issue...definitely far behind raising awareness/normalizing open carry. I carry a gun because it is effective at stopping someone that is going to do me harm, not because this is a dk-measuring contest and open carry is more macho than concealed carry. ***By the way, not saying this is why you're carrying "Knowledge"***

Last edited:

Knowledge

Thanks everyone for the support. I was ambiguous with the legalese and see how inaccuracies may have been interpreted, yet in both the video and description I tried to make it clear that it was very general. I even ended saying that if you are going to OC you need to look up the restrictions and what not. I can confidently walk outside with my firearm knowing that I know the "restrictions". As far as the private property stipulations I can only assume you haven't seen business post signs about guns. I've seen plenty to know they exist and was just bringing it to the viewers attention. And it is fun, it's not dancing around with a deadly weapon, but it is doing something out of the seemingly ordinary, which makes it fun for me. As long as I walk outside and people react out of curiosity or shock it will remain fun. I don't like football, it's not fun to me, but I'm not gonna tell someone that it's not fun because it's not fun to me. Oh and in the video I didn't say you had to remove the ammo from the clip its self. I'm not here to debate the law either.
Peace

I'll be trying to maintain a vlog of my OC's so you all can judge me; I mean watch them.

Hardbuck90

Not trying to offend you but the fact that it's fun to you and the whole video log makes it seem like you don't take it seriously and you're just looking for attention

sudden valley gunner

Welcome Knowledge! I'm just east of you over in Lake Stevens. Hope to see you at a meet or around town.

@SVG: I can see where golddigger is coming from. Being "fun" makes it seem like it's something non-chalant like whether I'm going to go to Ivar's or Red Lobster for lunch...or what color shirt I'm going to wear......not that I'm choosing to carry a tool that has the capability to end someone's life. AND that I'm carrying in a manner that makes it easier for someone with ill will to attempt to disarm me if I'm not paying attention (I don't think it's a huge threat, but I do think it's a good idea to have a plan B before you start OCing). That said, it can be fun too...and I'll be honest, it's amusing sometimes to see people's eyes bugout (even though I try and dress nice and be a good example). BUT, fun is definitely a secondary issue...definitely far behind raising awareness/normalizing open carry. I carry a gun because it is effective at stopping someone that is going to do me harm, not because this is a dk-measuring contest and open carry is more macho than concealed carry. ***By the way, not saying this is why you're carrying "Knowledge"***

I know where you guys are coming from...I just don't take life that seriously. Too me being nonchalant is part of normalizing.

When SkyisFalling did his first OC it was at a TeaParty stump speach for local candidates, (I also spoke) the Sheriff Mr. Elfo came over and shook my hand and then shook Sky's hand, it came out it was his first time and he was a little nervous about law enforcement....the Sheriff's own words were "we view it as another article of clothing you put on before you leave the house" so it can pretty much be like choosing what color of shirt to wear, should I carry my Smith and Wesson or should I carry my Glock.....:cool:

Knowledge

Not trying to offend you but the fact that it's fun to you and the whole video log makes it seem like you don't take it seriously and you're just looking for attention

Until carrying a gun is normal again in society, we'll all get attention from it. I noticed a few other threads broken-up by county or city or whatever eg. eastern & western WA OC Report. They're all doing the same thing I am, except I'm doing mine in video. I haven't come across anyone harking on the original poster about OCing. I didn't join the forum to be ridiculed I joined to show support, get support and hopefully do some meet ups. If my intentions have been misplaced then I'll go, but if not, then lighten up people! I didn't come here to explain myself so if you respond negatively, I'm just going to ignore you.

Peace

waterfowl woody

welcome to the forum. north or south Everett? the only things I will say about your video are that it is great you want to show and teach people about your OCing, just make sure if you are teaching that you give 100% correct info as your teachings may be watched by less knowing. Also everything you post can be used against you if you ever have to use your gun in self defense. Not trying to be negative to you, just my thoughts. Also welcome to the M&P family!

Be safe, know your law, know your surroundings, and know your gun.

waterfowl woody

Don't let people on here get under your skin. most will help and comment, some will point out what they think, and others just don't play well with others. all in all it is good practice for when you are out dealing with the public while OCing.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Knowledge or lack there of, in the video you presented offering legal advice is inaccurate and falls far short even though you state that pretty much covers it.
Adding misinformation to more is not a good thing as in replies above one cannot place a loaded gun into a vehicle with out possessing a CPL as seen here,
RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Well now look at here, there is an exception to that as well

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, correctional personnel and community corrections officers as long as they are employed as such who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training and have been subject to a check through the national instant criminal background check system or an equivalent background check within the past five years, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state. Correctional personnel and community corrections officers seeking the waiver provided for by this section are required to pay for any background check that is needed in order to exercise the waiver;
(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;
(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;
(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;
(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

And when it comes to places that are off limits, this

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).
For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.
In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.
The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;
(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public;
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or
(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.
(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.
(b) Cities, towns, and counties may restrict the location of a business selling firearms to not less than five hundred feet from primary or secondary school grounds, if the business has a storefront, has hours during which it is open for business, and posts advertisements or signs observable to passersby that firearms are available for sale. A business selling firearms that exists as of the date a restriction is enacted under this subsection (3)(b) shall be grandfathered according to existing law.
(4) Violations of local ordinances adopted under subsection (2) of this section must have the same penalty as provided for by state law.
(5) The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by subsection (1) of this section shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the existence of any law restricting the possession of firearms on the premises.
(6) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments, while engaged in official duties;
(b) Law enforcement personnel, except that subsection (1)(b) of this section does apply to a law enforcement officer who is present at a courthouse building as a party to an action under chapter 10.14, 10.99, or 26.50 RCW, or an action under Title 26 RCW where any party has alleged the existence of domestic violence as defined in RCW 26.50.010; or
(c) Security personnel while engaged in official duties.
(7) Subsection (1)(a), (b), (c), and (e) of this section does not apply to correctional personnel or community corrections officers, as long as they are employed as such, who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training, except that subsection (1)(b) of this section does apply to a correctional employee or community corrections officer who is present at a courthouse building as a party to an action under chapter 10.14, 10.99, or 26.50 RCW, or an action under Title 26 RCW where any party has alleged the existence of domestic violence as defined in RCW 26.50.010.
(8) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises or checks his or her firearm. The person may reclaim the firearms upon leaving but must immediately and directly depart from the place or facility.
(9) Subsection (1)(c) of this section does not apply to any administrator or employee of the facility or to any person who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises.
(10) Subsection (1)(d) of this section does not apply to the proprietor of the premises or his or her employees while engaged in their employment.
(11) Government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training must be training that correctional personnel and community corrections officers receive as part of their job requirement and reference to such training does not constitute a mandate that it be provided by the correctional facility.
(12) Any person violating subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
(13) "Weapon" as used in this section means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or instrument or weapon listed in RCW 9.41.250.
Notice there is no firearms restriction carrying into or upon private business or property and not a violation of law. Businesses and Property Owners can restrict you accesses their property but it would be as with any other restriction of right to refuse service.

And then there is,

RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:
(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
(2) "Promoter" means any person or other legal entity issued a permit to conduct an outdoor music festival.
(3) "Applicant" means the promoter who has the right of control of the conduct of an outdoor music festival who applies to the appropriate legislative authority for a license to hold an outdoor music festival.
(4) "Issuing authority" means the legislative body of the local governmental unit where the site for an outdoor music festival is located.
(5) "Participate" means to knowingly provide or deliver to the festival site supplies, materials, food, lumber, beverages, sound equipment, generators, or musical entertainment and/or to attend a music festival. A person shall be presumed to have knowingly provided as that phrase is used herein after he has been served with a court order.
RCW 70.108.150
Firearms — Penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

And then of course there is,

RCW 46.10.495
Additional violations — Penalty.
(1) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to endanger human life.
(2) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to run down or harass deer, elk, or any wildlife, or any domestic animal, nor shall any person carry any loaded weapon upon, nor hunt from, any snowmobile except by permit issued by the director of fish and wildlife under RCW 77.32.237.
(3) Any person violating this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

There are many here with information and are pretty well versed in its application, seeking knowledge is a good thing.

Knowledge

welcome to the forum. north or south Everett? the only things I will say about your video are that it is great you want to show and teach people about your OCing, just make sure if you are teaching that you give 100% correct info as your teachings may be watched by less knowing. Also everything you post can be used against you if you ever have to use your gun in self defense. Not trying to be negative to you, just my thoughts. Also welcome to the M&P family!

I'm in the heart of Everett right off Broadway. I'll write a script next time I explain the laws or I'll just tell them to read them themselves. I like that "everything you post can be used against" apparently that's the case. Thanks, I saved up for awhile when it came to buying my first gun, this is my first gun, I held all of them at Adventure Sports in Lynnwood. The M&P fit just right. I don't drink coffee or eat meat so I was thinking of organizing a meet-up here in Everett that would accommodate everyone including myself. I'll be at the range today, up in Arlington, it's lady's night so I'm going with a couple of my female friends. between 3 and 5. nice to meet you waterfowl woody.

Last edited:

Knowledge

I went ahead and edited the video, removed the "legal" content. I'll just do it that way from now on.

SigGuy23

Activist Member

I'm in the heart of Everett right off Broadway. I'll write a script next time I explain the laws or I'll just tell them to read them themselves. I like that "everything you post can be used against" apparently that's the case. Thanks, I saved up for awhile when it came to buying my first gun, this is my first gun, I held all of them at Adventure Sports in Lynnwood. The M&P fit just right. I don't drink coffee or eat meat so I was thinking of organizing a meet-up here in Everett that would accommodate everyone including myself. I'll be at the range today, up in Arlington, it's lady's night so I'm going with a couple of my female friends. between 3 and 5. nice to meet you waterfowl woody.

When you are talking about the range in Arlington. Are you referring to Norpoint on 172nd? If so That range is 5 minutes from my house. I shoot there all the time. let me know next time you go up there. We can grab some lunch and then go shoot as long as I'm not working.

Last edited:

Knowledge

When you are talking about the range in Arlington. Are you referring to Norpoint on 172nd? If so That range is 5 minutes from my house. I shoot there all the time. let me know next time you go up there. We can grab some lunch and then go shoot as long as I'm not working.

Yep.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Until carrying a gun is normal again in society, we'll all get attention from it. I noticed a few other threads broken-up by county or city or whatever eg. eastern & western WA OC Report. They're all doing the same thing I am, except I'm doing mine in video. I haven't come across anyone harking on the original poster about OCing. I didn't join the forum to be ridiculed I joined to show support, get support and hopefully do some meet ups. If my intentions have been misplaced then I'll go, but if not, then lighten up people! I didn't come here to explain myself so if you respond negatively, I'm just going to ignore you.

Peace

Welcome to OCDO, just a note...you will need thicker skin and open mind to participate in OCDO. We don't hold back in trying to get it right. We hold each other to a high standard and expect the law to be quoted and analyzed and for those that participate to get it right. If you think that everything you do will get you a high five then you have much to learn. If you are willing to learn then you will be enlightened in ways you didn't know existed.