• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommend a beginner gun class?

Joey P

What I'm looking for is a very basic handgun class for someone that's never really handled a gun before (other then shooting off a couple of .22 rifles at camp 16 years ago). So everything from "Don't point it at people" to the basic parts/assembly and range time. I'm in Milwaukee and it seems the only real options for ranges are The Shooters Shop and Fletcher Arms. I talked to Bob that works out of Fletcher and the course he does is exactly what I'm looking for, however, he's booked up for the next three weeks or so. He did refer me to someone named Craig who I haven't had a chance to call yet. I figured before I make any more calls I would ask here.*

So, does anyone know this Craig that Bob Llanas would have referred me to? Does The Shooters Shop teach a class like this?

I'd always said that I wanted to learn to use a handgun purely for target shooting and that was it, but a recent incident at work (we got held up**) has me rethinking that so I'd like to get some training in so that I can rent a few guns, see what I'm comfortable with and think about buying one.

*I have had plenty of my questions answered here before I registered, I've been lurking around here for a few months

**Having a gun when we got held up, due to my location relative to the robber (in back, but I could see him) wouldn't have done anything unless he had come looking for people in the backroom but he was in and out in about 20 or 30 seconds. In fact, I grabbed a gun we had hidden in the office, but decided that a combination of it having not been used or even touched in 15 years and me not having any idea whatsoever as to what I was doing made me put it back. Besides, by then it was over and the cops had arrived. And for the record, even if I had a gun, I would have done exactly the same thing. Stayed hidden in back calling 911.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sometimes being a good witness is the best decision.....even if you are well trained.

Yetiman

Call mike at Shorty's in West Allis. He can take care of you even though he doesn't have a live fire range in house.
http://shortysshootingsports.com/

Also Gander Mountain might have a course like that these days with either live or simulated fire.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
What I'm looking for is a very basic handgun class for someone that's never really handled a gun before

I would recommend either the NRA Basic Pistol Course or First Steps Pistol Course. The First Steps courses are designed to give more personal instruction because they are meant to be given to 1-3 at a time. These are good thorough and safe courses.

I teach these, as does Glockgirl, but you may find other instructors closer to you. One can search for any NRA courses currently offered in your vicinity (or anywhere in the country) right here:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Good luck!

Joey P

I would recommend either the NRA Basic Pistol Course or First Steps Pistol Course. The First Steps courses are designed to give more personal instruction because they are meant to be given to 1-3 at a time. These are good thorough and safe courses.

I teach these, as does Glockgirl, but you may find other instructors closer to you. One can search for any NRA courses currently offered in your vicinity (or anywhere in the country) right here:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Good luck!

I've looked at NRA classes (which also appears to be what MKEGal does), those, as you know, are 8-10 hour classes which are difficult for me to get to since it would mean taking a day off of work and/or finding someone to watch my daughter all day. A 2-3 hour class is a bit easier to wedge into my schedule. Also, it looks they've added some classes, but the last time I glanced at the schedule the only class on the roster was at Badger Guns (Brew City Shooter's Supply). Being new to this, that seemed like a place to stay away from.

Yetiman

Have you called Shorty's ?

They have a 4 hour class, typically on Tuesday evening or Saturday afternoon which will cover what you are asking about and more.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I've looked at NRA classes (which also appears to be what MKEGal does), those, as you know, are 8-10 hour classes which are difficult for me to get to since it would mean taking a day off of work and/or finding someone to watch my daughter all day. A 2-3 hour class is a bit easier to wedge into my schedule. Also, it looks they've added some classes, but the last time I glanced at the schedule the only class on the roster was at Badger Guns (Brew City Shooter's Supply). Being new to this, that seemed like a place to stay away from.

NRA's "First Steps" is designed to be about 3 hours in length. Or, I'm sure some instructors would be willing to custom-design introductory training.

jpm84092

I will not be back to SE Wisconsin until Spring, but my recommendation is NRA First Steps (NRA required instructor to student ratio is 1:1). The course can take 3 - 4 hours including range time. Next would be the NRA Basic Pistol Course. This course can be taught in about 6 - 8 hours (recommended is 8 hours) and the range work is more extensive and involves working with the student until they can qualify for the NRA-Winchester Marksmanship Basic Practical Rocker.

When I do return to SE Wisconsin for a visit, I will be teaching NRA Courses as requested, Utah Concealed Firearm Permit and WI CWL courses (if needed). I have also been asked by several students who have attended my classes to teach advanced courses that include "double tap" shooting.

The Yellow Cat is well known in the SE Wisconsin carry community.

www.yellowcatpersonaldefense.com

Joey P

Well, I just managed to acquire a Glock 22. I was out talking to a friend of mine (one of my dad's close friends) and I was telling him about the hold up and how I had coincidentally just earlier that day been looking into learning to shoot and he handed me the gun and told me to read up and take it shooting. There was more to it then that of course. He's a gun nut and offered to teach me everything I need to know and I have every intention of taking him up on that offer as soon as I can. In the mean time I'm still going to keep my eyes open for some classes I can take around here and I still have some calls to make (which he very much encouraged). Also I don't own a single bullet so the most dangerous thing I can do with it right now appears to be pinching myself in the slide or taking it apart and not getting it back together again. I did get it field stripped/reassembled just to get more comfortable with it.

Now, I just need to pick up a case for it. Am I correct in understanding (WRT the law) that I don't need to worry about it being a locking case? Do any ranges/shops require the gun to be locked? Any recommendations? Looking around on Amazon I'm surprised to see how cheap (random example) they are but I have no idea if the quality is any good. Even the one on the NRA website is only $20.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Well, I just managed to acquire a Glock 22. I was out talking to a friend of mine (one of my dad's close friends) and I was telling him about the hold up and how I had coincidentally just earlier that day been looking into learning to shoot and he handed me the gun and told me to read up and take it shooting. There was more to it then that of course. He's a gun nut and offered to teach me everything I need to know and I have every intention of taking him up on that offer as soon as I can. In the mean time I'm still going to keep my eyes open for some classes I can take around here and I still have some calls to make (which he very much encouraged). Also I don't own a single bullet so the most dangerous thing I can do with it right now appears to be pinching myself in the slide or taking it apart and not getting it back together again. I did get it field stripped/reassembled just to get more comfortable with it.

Now, I just need to pick up a case for it. Am I correct in understanding (WRT the law) that I don't need to worry about it being a locking case? Do any ranges/shops require the gun to be locked? Any recommendations? Looking around on Amazon I'm surprised to see how cheap (random example) they are but I have no idea if the quality is any good. Even the one on the NRA website is only $20.
If you have a Gander Mountain nearby you can pick up a gun rug for low bucks.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Gander Mountain didn't even cross my mind. I have one very nearby. Next time I pass it (and have a few extra minutes) I'll stop in.
You might want to price some snap caps (fake bullets that don't fire) so you can practice dry firing your new gun without damaging the firing pin to learn grip and trigger control. After that I might suggest a trip to Walmart for some Remington ear plugs and shooting safety glasses, so when the time comes for a hands-on training session you have the right equipment.

Resist the urge to carry an empty gun. If you are mugged, they will take it from you and it will become a crime gun.

Joey P

You might want to price some snap caps (fake bullets that don't fire) so you can practice dry firing your new gun without damaging the firing pin to learn grip and trigger control. After that I might suggest a trip to Walmart for some Remington ear plugs and shooting safety glasses, so when the time comes for a hands-on training session you have the right equipment.

Resist the urge to carry an empty gun. If you are mugged, they will take it from you and it will become a crime gun.

I'll look into those. I assume that they're not 'live' in any sense of the word, correct? Just a bullet shaped object and a spring to absorb the impact.

Also, I have ear muffs (is that the right term, it always sounds wrong) and safety glasses that I use when I'm working with my angle grinder.

hermannr

Joey, I also have safety glasses for my grinder, but they are not very clear after many years of use. Now I am using a full face shield for grinding and it is also getting cloudy.

Safety glasses are inexpensive, I would strongly encourage you to have a set specifically for shooting. You want them as clear as possible, coated polycarb lenses that won't scratch easily.

As for industrial "muff's" they will work. However, there are also several types of not very expensive hearing protectors that will allow you to hear when you are shooting, but will shut down the noise when it is over 85db.

A specific setup just for when you are shooting (generally called a "range bag", doesn't have to be big if you are only shooting a pistol) can keep everything you need in one place so you don't forget anything when you go out to shoot.

Good Luck, have fun.

Joey P

I read a couple of things about them and watched some youtube videos just to be absolutely sure before I picked them up, but I did get them. I got a pack of .40 S&W which I assume are the correct ones (for a Glock 22). I am having an issue though in that they don't eject on their own when I pull the slide back. Yes, I know the slide won't go back on it's own. I loaded them into the magazine, put the magazine into the gun, pulled the slide back to put one in the chamber, pulled the trigger and then when I pulled the slide back the snap cap just stayed in the chamber and the slide locked back as if the magazine was empty. The only way to clear it was to pull the slide back the rest of the way and lock it and then pull the magazine out and the one in the chamber would fall out with it. It was hanging up on the next one still in the magazine. If I load only one snap cap in and pull the trigger, when I pull the slide back I can sort of shake or tilt the gun to get it out.
I've read that this is somewhat common with snap caps and some guns since the extractor has a hard time grabbing them.

jpm84092

NRA Snap Caps

The NRA sells the snap caps that I use in training others. The NRA product is an actual cartridge casing, with no primer, no powder charge, and a blaze orange plastic bullet. I have never had a failure to eject and the NRA product is cheaper than Gander Mountain, Cabela's, or Bass Pro Shop.

By the way, dry firing a Glock 22 with no snap cap is perfectly safe. The no dry fire rule applies to rim fire (.22LR etc) and some older style revolvers with fixed firing pins that could break off during dry fire (although I have not personally seen this happen). Rim fire pins can break or bend if dry fired.

Yellow Cat Out -