• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Annoying Encounter

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was not surprised about the number of looks I've received since carrying and only slightly surprised by the amount of questions (some of them beyond stupid.) And, even with the stares, comments, and - at times - rude comments and gestures only a couple things have irratated me. One is the parents that assume that since I carry a firearm, I'm an evil person and quickly (and loudly) run away with their children.

Are you sure you're living in Colorado Springs, Colorado?

The reason I ask is that I've been OCing here in Colorado Springs, CO now for two years, and while I occasionally get an odd look, it's rare. I've never been stared at or received a rude comment or gesture. Parents do not quickly run away with their children, even when I walk into IHOP when it's packed with families on a Saturday morning.

I've OC'd to dozens of restaurants, all over downtown Colorado Springs, and have sat on a bench in Acacia Park and watched my son play in the fountain for more than an hour while carrying on conversations with mothers and their kids. I've strolled up and down the streets of Manitou Springs amidst out-of-town crowds. That was one of two times I received a stare, but they quickly recovered and asked, "Is that legal?" after which we had a short but pleasant conversation about OC vs CC, and how 43 states in our Union support open carry.

While many people have asked me a lot of questions, no one has ever asked me a stupid question, much less "beyond stupid," although I have heard a number of ignorant statements. One of my favorite involved a professor at Webster University, who said "Carrying firearms in an institution of higher learning in Colorado is illegal." He said this in response to a conversation among some of us shortly before class began. As did some of the other students, I CC'd while working through my masters program. I checked the student handbook, their website, all entrances to the campus, and the student bulletin board in the hallway. None of these locations carried any notice whatsoever that said firearms were prohibited either on the campus or in the classroom. So, commensurate with Colorado State Law, I continued to OC throughout the program.

Went to Fazoli's on Cheyenne Mountain in the Springs as was told some ******** story by the manager about not being able to carry in their store. Now, keep in mind this is the fifth or sixth time I've carried in the same store, and at least two of those times the same manager was in there. Today, she decides to - not so politely - tell me "For future referance, you can't really carry a gun into Fazoli's" or something along those lines. The "for future referance" and "carry a gun" are the two parts that stuck out due to her attitude at the time. My response was "Well, according to Colorado law you can open carry anywhere but schools, government property, Denver, or an establishment which has posted such. Plus, I've been in here before and nobody has ever said anything." Her response - "Well, nobody wanted to say anything to you but I just had to."

As Fazoli's is a privately-owned business, she is within her right to deny you entry or ask you to leave if you're already inside. If she did not specifically ask you to leave, however, you were not trespassing.

Do I look like a criminal? Have I ever been even the slightest bit rude to you, your coworkers, or another customer? Why didn't they want to say anything?

It has nothing to do with the way you look or your behavior. In some people's minds, gun=bad. As for customers, the reason they didn't say anything is because they have no authority to ask you to leave. The owner, manager, or an employee, however, does have that authority. The vast majority of people here in Colorado Springs are smarter than that, though occasionally you'll run across one of the idiots who will never pass a rationality test.

All I wanted to do was enjoy my dinner with my roommate and she had to go sour my mood.

I've found the only time anything sours my mood is when I let it. I take situations such as yours and use them as opportunities to share a few nuggets of wisdom, such as "criminals do not open carry" and "as an honest, law-abiding citizen, I take pride in my civic duty to myself and others by exercising my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms in defense of myself and my community." If the clue bird can't land on their shoulder because it's getting a wave-off, I'll write both the manager and HQ a letter. If the clue bird gets another wave-off, I'll enter their store's information in Friend or Foe, print out a copy of all the green businesses surrounding their red one, and send it to them.

Secondly, regarding legality. One thing I could never find in my research prior to open carrying, and it never even crossed my mind. In a situation like that, what am I legally required to do? She didn't say or imply that I needed to leave the establishment, just said that I can't in the future. But here is where I get confused and I do not wish to push the law. Let's say I were to go there again (which I don't plan on it) would I have to leave my firearm if there still is no sign posted or, if nothing is posted, am I still legally correct carrying it into the store?

Just because someone once told you to leave a store, that doesn't mean you can't go back at a later date. Management changes, and you don't know whether she was the manager, a shift supervisor, or just an employee. She didn't let you know if that's official store policy or just her policy.

If it's posted, I'd leave it in the car or go someplace else. If it's not, carry on!

bc.cruiser

With all the people staring and commenting, what and how are you carrying?

Thanks for your service, and good luck on the deployment.

bogidu

It has nothing to do with the way you look or your behavior.

I have to take exception with this comment. OCing in many people's eyes is 'unusual' to say the least. If a person is perceived in some way, shape, or form to be a threat AND they are OCing, it WILL alter their perceptions and responses. I think I made a comment a while back about how individual skin color, lots of tattoos, and any other obvious physical traits that make a person stand out do cause people to pre-judge, if that judgement is negative AND they have a gun on them. . . . . .

Perhaps I've never had any issues because I look like a hobbit with a grey beard? On that note, I think I'll run off and register the domain name hobbitswithguns.com

Bill

WCrawford

I have to take exception with this comment. OCing in many people's eyes is 'unusual' to say the least. If a person is perceived in some way, shape, or form to be a threat AND they are OCing, it WILL alter their perceptions and responses. I think I made a comment a while back about how individual skin color, lots of tattoos, and any other obvious physical traits that make a person stand out do cause people to pre-judge, if that judgement is negative AND they have a gun on them. . . . . .

Perhaps I've never had any issues because I look like a hobbit with a grey beard? On that note, I think I'll run off and register the domain name hobbitswithguns.com

Bill

Will Lenord Nemoy sing your site's theme song? :)

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk